By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Why does most music made after ~2000 suck?

Do you believe the music industry has gone downhill during the 2000s?

Yes 79 69.91%

No 29 25.66%

Maybe 5 4.42%

Total:113

Arcade Fire, The Strokes, The Felice Brothers, Wilco, The White Stripes, OutKast, The XX, Radiohead, Rufus Wainwright, Air, Sufjan Stevens, Beck, Lambchop, The Decemberists, Alicia Keys, Daft Punk, Fleet Foxes, Midlake, Bright Eyes, Arctic Monkeys, The Roots*, M.I.A., The Libertines, Sigur Rós, Interpol, Ryan Adams, The Flaming Lips, Bonnie Prince Billy, Chromeo, Phoenix, Underworld, Janelle Monáe...to name a few.

*excellent new album "Undun" released just a few days ago.

I know, some of the a.m. artists were already around before 2000 (some bands were even founded in the 80s, like Underworld, The Roots or Radiohead), but this didn't prevent them from releasing some of their best works in the 00s.

Plus: After 2000 Bob Dylan released two of his best albums, Kate Bush made an unexpected comeback with one of her best works, Bruce Springsteen returned to his fans with great albums and live shows, Neil Young and The Rolling Stones were and are as alive and kicking (and sometimes as annoying) as in the decades before. Randy Newman showed us he's still around and finally won a deserved oscar (he's one of the best US songwriters). Joni Mitchell returned, Nick Cave released some great albums, etc, etc.

The music made after 2000 did and does not suck. There will always be great music for everyone. You just have to look for it, and sometimes it will even come to you by just listeining to the (internet) radio stations which fit your tastes the most. Today we have more possiblities than ever to discover new (and old) unknown music, e.g. I discovered this brilliant track by musicians I've never heard of before (Yasmin Gate/Douglas McCarthy) just a few days ago.

Around the Network

I think there is plenty of music in the 2000s that is just on par with the 90s or even in some cases better - and I don't mean the loaded charts with the same artists appearing over and over again, I mean the bands that rarely anyone listens to and are mostly underrated (In my opinion anyway) - SOAD, A7X, Papa Roach, Breaking Benjamin, Green Day 2000+ albums - I like Dookie, but the American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown were decent too, Pendulum, Bliss n Eso, Prodigy, many other bands I can go on that I like personally, however from the 90s - other than few decent albums from the bands which released albums on par in the 2000s I can't recall many of the artists that I liked - other than Nirvana.

Plenty of music, it's just that the pop sucks more now than it used to, and in some cases Rock - yes the crappy bands like All Time Low and all of those wannabe emos with swoosh haircuts.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

crissindahouse said:

but it's simple if you don't wish to search for yourself to get new stuff you like, then you can't really love music. if you just want to switch to mtv and like what there is then it's your problem.

Yes, I suppose you can say I became lazy with trying to find any new bands I liked.  I kind of liked the White Stripes a little but it wasn't anything that blew me away.  There are a few others bands but I am pretty terrible with any name recognition on mainstream bands now.  I think a friend recommend Queens of the Stone Age to me a few years back but I have yet to even listen to most of their songs.  I honestly couldn't even tell you what bands it is if listening to most 2000+ alternative/rock song.  I gave up in the early 2000s but I'm willing to expand my horizons again.

Now, to what I really wanted to comment about.  MTV.. LOL wtf is that.. a joke?  I believe MTV might play 2 hours of music perhaps late at night.  MTV 1 and I believe even 2 don't even play music anymore (couldn't tell you because I don't watch cable or TV).  MTV is pathetic and doesn't even deserve the word music in their names.  MTV used to good back in the late 80s and early 90s.  The end of MTV was when "reality" tv bullshit landed.  Now it is just commercials and "reality" shows. 

Like I said in an earlier post.  I live in Austin, TX which is pretty much the capital of Live music with all their music festivals.  Here we have a station that is independent and plays 90s/2000s rock/alternative (101.5 / 101X).  Most of the times the DJ comes on and is like oh I really like this new song or whatever from this ..... artist.  The music then starts playing and within about 30secs - 1 min I can barely even stand to listen to whatever new song they put on.  It just seems like most bands now a days just can't stack up to any of the classic rock bands.  Perhaps I set my standards in music too high?

NotStan said:

Green Day 2000+ albums - I like Dookie, but the American Idiot

American Idiot was a pretty good album.  I consider Green Day 90s but sure they are still cranking the cds out in the 2000s.  Their play style actually varied a lot more in American Idiot than their earlier cds when they were a little one dimensional in their sound (still loved pretty much all their albums).  Most of the songs on their cds are actually good.  It always sucks to get a cd and realize that there are only 1-3 good songs on it.  Bands that can make a complete album are hard to come by sometimes.  311 is a band I consider to be able to make a very complete album.  However, Nick Hexum is starting to get a little old and they are way softer than they were during the 90s. 

Carl2291 said:

I love the song, it is Rock, but I'm only pulling your leg.

The best rock song, IMO, since 2000...

It's great. Despite Foo Fighters not starting in the 00's, the song itself came from 2005.

I actually loved the Foo Fighters (especially their first 2 albums).  However, after hearing the best the best the best in that song about a billion times it makes me want to bash my head against the wall.  Sorry, I just don't like that song from Foo Fighters and consider it one of their worse songs.  I'm glad you love it but it isn't for me.  I'd rather listen to Everlong, This Is a Call, Monkey Wrench, etc.. from them.

Around the Network

I agree that 90's music is better, but there is still good music out there. But I like Fallout Boy, so I probably lost all credibilty.

rakugakist said:

I agree that 90's music is better, but there is still good music out there. But I like Fallout Boy, so I probably lost all credibilty.

Indeed, I could count their "better" songs on one hand :p

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

MrT-Tar said:

The Kooks were formed in 2001 and are probably one of my favourite bands:

The first song I wasn't really diggin too much till about the middle and it kind of dropped off towards the end.  The second song is pretty mellow too (which isn't a bad thing but nothing like a mellow Pink Floyd or Pearl Jam song to me).  The band kind of reminds me of a young Matchbox 20 or something like that (laid back music such as Dave Matthews Band).  Nothing that will get your blood pumping but something to kick back and smoke weed to.  Thanks for the first good suggestion that I have listened to.  Now, I'll try a few more in this thread.

@sethnintendo

no wasn't a joke with mtv. i did never watch it because it was never my kind of music (classical symphonies, chamber music, opera) so i have no clue how much music they have nowadays and i'm from germany so it could have been otherwise on german mtv but no clue about that.

i just said it because someone said the music in tv is only shit nowadays. it's not about the music it's about how they look an so on.

TadpoleJackson said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8s5G0nSvco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZNCrLV8W_M

Both bands formed before 2000 but all their CDs have been released after

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

First link - Thousand Foot Krutch - Move , the song started out pretty good but then lost me for a little.  The middle part of the song sounded pretty nice at certain points.  I'd probably have to look a little further into the band before purchasing one of their albums.  I'd probably give the song a 3/5 Netflix rating which is decent.  At least this song I wouldn't feel an urge to turn it off right away.

Second link - Skillet - Comatose, not too bad of a song but seems a little too "emo" for me

I see both bands are supposely Christian rock bands.  If that is the case then Christian music has at least made some gainful strides.  I remember back during my high school days (about 12+ years ago) when my parents threw out all my rock/alternative cds.  They then bought me Christians artist such as the Jars of Clay, dc Talk, etc...  Let me just say those cds ended up broken in half outside my door within a day.   So after telling you that pointless story about my prejudice against Christian rock for me to say that this song is decent says a little.  I think the problem with most Christian rock during the 90s was they tried to preach too much instead of make decent songs.

Oh and thanks for the last link.....  I almost had to gouge my eyes and puncher my ear drums after listening to the first 30 seconds.  At least most of the youtube users realize the song is terrible...  likes, 237,194 dislikes