Bleach 5 6.41%

Inuyasha 2 2.56%

FullMetal Alchemist/Brotherhood 4 5.13%

Trinity Blood 0 0%

Death Note 5 6.41%

A anime i didn't list 51 65.38%

Total:78
DarthVolod said:

I tend to go for stuff that is more philosophical and cerebral in nature. Unfortunately, it seems most anime (at least what I have seen having viewed about 30+ series now) steers away from this in favor of high school romance, comedy, generic action, and countless portrayals of women as objects of lust and perversion (not that I am saying romance/comedy/action/sex are innately bad it is just that they are always handled so poorly as to drag down otherwise interesting shows). 

I don't know if that helps to narrow things down at all. Obviously, sci-fi and anything cyberpunk are a huge plus for me. I am not familiar with any animes that have attempted it, but I also like horror. Also, unhappy endings/sad stories or at least ones with ambiguous endings tend to be my favorites in other mediums.

Sad stories, that's my favorite as well.  Most animes let things get atleast a bit happy/hopeful at the end but if you'd like some anime with some real heart breaking moments Clannad (whole thing, have to watch the "after story"), Angel Beats, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Grave of the Fireflies, and Steins Gate.  If you can deal with some seemingly stereotypical Magical girl anime that turns real dark and sad real quick there's Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.  

Stuff that wasn't as sad but was thoughtful and interesting would be Natsume Yuujinchou, Toradora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, and a goofy little short series called There She Is!!

note: weird fonts are from me "c/p"ing from myanimelist.net and being lazy.

Around the Network
Torillian said:
DarthVolod said:

I tend to go for stuff that is more philosophical and cerebral in nature. Unfortunately, it seems most anime (at least what I have seen having viewed about 30+ series now) steers away from this in favor of high school romance, comedy, generic action, and countless portrayals of women as objects of lust and perversion (not that I am saying romance/comedy/action/sex are innately bad it is just that they are always handled so poorly as to drag down otherwise interesting shows). 

I don't know if that helps to narrow things down at all. Obviously, sci-fi and anything cyberpunk are a huge plus for me. I am not familiar with any animes that have attempted it, but I also like horror. Also, unhappy endings/sad stories or at least ones with ambiguous endings tend to be my favorites in other mediums.

Sad stories, that's my favorite as well.  Most animes let things get atleast a bit happy/hopeful at the end but if you'd like some anime with some real heart breaking moments Clannad (whole thing, have to watch the "after story"), Angel Beats, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Grave of the Fireflies, and Steins Gate.  If you can deal with some seemingly stereotypical Magical girl anime that turns real dark and sad real quick there's Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.  

Stuff that wasn't as sad but was thoughtful and interesting would be Natsume Yuujinchou, Toradora, Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, and a goofy little short series called There She Is!!

Thanks for the response! I am not familiar with most of the series you mentioned so I will give them a try. I know I saw Clannad was on Netflix so I can check that one out right away. Grave of Fireflies sounds like something I would like too (based on wiki); I usually like war stories.

DarthVolod said:
outlawauron said:
DarthVolod said:
outlawauron said:
outlawauron said:
DarthVolod said:

We are 6 pages in and I have not seen anyone mention Ghost in the Shell ... I would pretty much just write off anime as a childish indulgence if not for this series.

There is also Ergo Proxy ... I loved it and I am sure the 5 other people who watched it also enjoyed it.

Ghost in the Shell is a staple series of the art form. However, I will say that there have been dozens of great seinen (targeted towards older males) series since then.

I'll also add that Ergo Proxy is incredibly popular, not sure where you got the last bit from.

Can you name a few of these series? It seems like every anime I have watched since Ghost has just been a major step down in quality (aside from Ergo like I said).

In regards to Ergo Proxy's popularity, I am just going off of my personal experience as it seems that everyone I talk to (I talk to people about anime on a semi-consistent basis, and I have gone to several different anime cons in my area) have never seen the series or, in many cases, have never even heard of it. This is the first time I have seen anyone refer to it as "incredibly popular." I will not argue against it as it certainly deserves to be popular, and it may just be one of those things where it is just not big where I live.

For ergo Proxy, I've heard countless people name it among their favorites and high on recommendations list. It's also the #65 most popular anime in MyAnimeList's database. I know this isn't the best way to gauge popularity, but this site has a giant userbase (over 200k) and it usually pretty reflective of anime fans.

As far as the shows I mentioned earlier, I must ask for some clarification. Is there a certain genre that you're looking for? I need to know if the content of some would or would not sit well (whether or not to recommend things like Kuragehime, Nodame, or Usagi Drop for example. These are all great shows but they're targeting women rather than men) with you.

I'll help add some ones that Torrillian above didn't touch upon.

Bokurano (Though seems like a mecha anime really isn't)   (http://myanimelist.net/anime/1690/Bokurano

Jigoku Shoujo ( Each episode is it's own dark story) http://myanimelist.net/anime/228/Jigoku_Shoujo

Kaiji ( Don't watch if you like the main charcter to have a happy life) http://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Kaiji

One Outs ( A psychosocial thriller disguised as a baseball anime) http://myanimelist.net/anime/5040/One_Outs

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei ( A unique  dark comedy example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOmK70fsPB4http://myanimelist.net/anime/2605/Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei

Former something....

DarthVolod said:
Torillian said:
DarthVolod said:

Thanks for the response! I am not familiar with most of the series you mentioned so I will give them a try. I know I saw Clannad was on Netflix so I can check that one out right away. Grave of Fireflies sounds like something I would like too (based on wiki); I usually like war stories.

Clannad is a high school drama for large parts, but then they move beyond that Clannad After Story and what happens after the high school drama is all done and it gets real sad.  Angel Beats is similar to Clannad, bulk of it is kind of actiony but it has some real tear jerking moments., and then Steins Gate is mostly about SciFi time travel type stuff but again has its moments. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Grave of the Fireflies are probably the two most consistently sad because both follow disasters (manmade or natural).  

To add to the trifecta, I think there are a few more to mention:

Tatami Galaxy - This show is unique, but definitely thought-provoking. A lot of quick-talking, but if you sit through all of it, I'm sure you'll love it. Very satisfying.

Kara no Kyoukai - Garden of Sinners - It's a set of 7 movies that pretty much sum of what you liked. Very philosophical with a strong female lead that doesn't pander in the least. Great story and action.

Mushishi - This is another philosophical show, but it's slice of life as well. Contains a decent amount of fantasy elements.

Katanagatari - 12 hour long episodes that tell a very endearing story. A bit of romance, but very serious overall. It also has a really touching ending. Definitely not one to shy away from tragedy and some extreme choices.

Planetes - This is a show about two garbage collectors clearing trash in space. It sounds kinda lame, but it's an interesting slice of life show with a decent amount of sci-fi and another great female lead.

Blacksaber and Torillian also knows what's up. I think you'll enjoy the majority of what we've listed.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.