By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo sees skyward sales on Black Friday - Skyward sword fastest selling Zelda ever in USA - Super Mario 3D Land fastest selling portable Mario in USA

Tagged games:

Why am I the first to post this?

By Nintendo of America

Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword helped Nintendo to a successful kickoff of the holiday sales season.

The new Nintendo 3DS game, Super Mario 3D Land, which landed in stores Nov. 11, has become the fastest-selling portable Mario game in company history, selling more than 500,000 units since launch, says Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime.

Meanwhile, the Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, released for the Nintendo Wii on Sunday, Nov. 20, has sold 535,000 copies since its U.S. launch, making it the fastest-selling Zelda game ever, he says.

These strong new releases also drove sales of Nintendo 3DS and Wii systems, Fils-Aime says. Last week's 3DS sales tripled (by 325%) compared with sales the week of Nov. 6, the week beforeSuper Mario 3D Land made its debut; the week of its debut, sales rose 49% from the previous week.

"What this has been able to do is drive our Nintendo 3DS business in only eight months to surpass the full first year volume of the original DS and we still have the bulk of the holiday to go," Fils-Aime says, "and we still have the launch ofMario Kart 7 (out Dec. 4) to continue driving our full-year sales on Nintendo 3DS."

Sales of the original Nintendo DS hit 2.37 million in the first year of its Nov. 2004 U.S. release.

The Nintendo Wii had its biggest Black Friday ever more with than 500,000 units sold just during the day and pre-Black openings at some stores, he says.

Fils-Aime thinks the Black Friday sales momentum could help Nintendo to a successful holiday sales season. "We know that Black Friday and that entire week is a key selling week, and it is important for products like ours to have a jump in momentum, and we were fortunate to see that," he says. "For us, it really was driven by unique and powerful software and what gives us confidence is that we still have more software to launch in the balance of this holiday period."

Also coming from Nintendo: Fortune Street (Dec. 5, for Wii), which Fils-Aime describes as "a franchise that has sold quite well in Japan. Imagine a board game meeting a grow-your- business all done in a video context with Mario and other Nintendo characters, as well as characters from Square Enix. It's a very interesting very unique title. We think it is going to do quite well for us during the holiday."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/11/nintendo-sees-skyward-sales-on-black-friday-/1

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Because you are not?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
Because you are not?

I couldn't see a thread on it, in Nintendo or Sales

link?

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Faxanadu said:
Because you are not?

I couldn't see a thread on it, in Nintendo or Sales

link?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=137151&page=1

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

What stupid propaganda, so what the heck it matter if is the the fastest to reach a certain goal if, just like other games, will fall to below 20k in 2 months or so?

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

very good!!!!!

Switch!!!

Even Nintendo can't kill the Wii.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
Even Nintendo can't kill the Wii.

No one can say they are not trying... I give them A+ for effort.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

congrats for Zelda an Wii! :)

Soriku said:
Beuli2 said:

What stupid propaganda, so what the heck it matter if is the the fastest to reach a certain goal if, just like other games, will fall to below 20k in 2 months or so?

This doesn't even make sense.

I'll put it better. This isn't really the fastest selling, but the strongest opening weeks. If they further weeks are also strong, then they would be the fastest selling. Otherwise it would turn out to just be hype and anticipation (basically sales of NSMB Wii versus sales of Other M).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs