By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Mario Kart 3DS completed as "act of emergency"

Tagged games:

You like this news

Yes 12 21.05%

No 10 17.54%

Netrual 19 33.33%

I guess they needed the sales 10 17.54%

They just ruined a great game! 6 10.53%

Total:57
OneTwoThree said:
NightDragon83 said:
WTF is wrong with Nintendo that they only had 8 friggin people working on MK7 until earlier this year?!? This ain't the Super Nintendo! No wonder Nintendo has no games coming out... they're such cheap bastards that they won't hire more people to pump software production up, and instead pull critical development teams like Retro away from their work on (hopefully) an awesome HD game for Wii U, when Nintendo should be fully able to handle a game like MK7 in-house with no problem whatsoever.

I'm sure they weren't going to release MK7 before mid 2012. That small small team was supposed to have a lot more time for the job. But with 3DS ending up in its difficult situation, Iwata decided to release all their biggest games this holiday. Did you ever see Zelda, mainline Mario and Mario Kart in one month? And three 3DS bundles and new colors in a systems' first year? NO WAY was that what Nintendo had planned, and they're not going to be happy about it. 

Well maybe Nintendo needed to wake up and face reality... which is that people weren't gonna drop $250 on a handheld system with absolutely no compelling games just because it has a gimmicky glasses-free 3D feature.  And what a shame to have to release 3 big titles so close together... I mean imagine if M$ or Sony had to do that... oh wait, they do.   Every single year... which is why they're doing so well now, compared to Nintendo, who only release one or two notable system-sellers a year, if that.  back in '07-'08, we had Metroid, Mario, Smash, and MK all on the same system, and all within 8 months of one another.  Boy, I'd sure hate to have a lineup like that every other year... much better to release just one notable game a year and expect everyone to buy it because they're so desperate for any reason to dust off their systems.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
NightDragon83 said:
oniyide said:
Hold the phone! where is Luigi's Mansion 2, i thought it was releasing before the end of the year. Im on Amazon and i dont see a release date.

Where have you been?  LM 2 ain't comin out till next spring at the absolute earliest.

Son of a bitch!! Where have I been, oh well. I got too much games anyway.

@wfZ  are you sure?? i could have sworn that i read that it would be ready in time for winter. and hell yes im excited, loved the original. 

thanks Nintendo for your Mercy!

And now hurry up with Paper Mario I want it by next Xmas.

Switch!!!

OneTwoThree said:
Well reviews indicate that it has turned out very well. But I'm not really a fan of Retro, I prefer Nintendo keeping development of their big series in Japan. Retro is really good, but they still don't have that magic. I bought and beat DKCR some weeks ago - it's not up there with Mario games. In NSMBWii, when you look at the 'super skills' videos, you realize that all the levels were designed with the perfect run in mind. Every tiny gap, jump, enemy were placed for you to blast through the levels, once you've got the flow. DKCR doesn't quite have that.

But I disgress. I clicked "Netrual".

You clearly has not yet played speedrun mode.

Above: still the best game of the year.

So first they had less than 10 people working on it and then they had to rush it with people from other studio - way to go for one of 3 most important games each generation on Nintendo system ;)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network
Beuli2 said:
OneTwoThree said:
Well reviews indicate that it has turned out very well. But I'm not really a fan of Retro, I prefer Nintendo keeping development of their big series in Japan. Retro is really good, but they still don't have that magic. I bought and beat DKCR some weeks ago - it's not up there with Mario games. In NSMBWii, when you look at the 'super skills' videos, you realize that all the levels were designed with the perfect run in mind. Every tiny gap, jump, enemy were placed for you to blast through the levels, once you've got the flow. DKCR doesn't quite have that.

But I disgress. I clicked "Netrual".

You clearly has not yet played speedrun mode.

Actually you're right, I didn't. I shouldn't have judged the game yet. But thing is, I did not feel compelled to 100% complete DKCR. I did not enjoy some of the motion controls, and once I had beaten the final boss (which took me like 50 tries, so I can't complain it wasn't hard enough), I put it aside.

I thought most Nintendo games started with 1 or 2 persons?

NightDragon83 said:
OneTwoThree said:
NightDragon83 said:
WTF is wrong with Nintendo that they only had 8 friggin people working on MK7 until earlier this year?!? This ain't the Super Nintendo! No wonder Nintendo has no games coming out... they're such cheap bastards that they won't hire more people to pump software production up, and instead pull critical development teams like Retro away from their work on (hopefully) an awesome HD game for Wii U, when Nintendo should be fully able to handle a game like MK7 in-house with no problem whatsoever.

I'm sure they weren't going to release MK7 before mid 2012. That small small team was supposed to have a lot more time for the job. But with 3DS ending up in its difficult situation, Iwata decided to release all their biggest games this holiday. Did you ever see Zelda, mainline Mario and Mario Kart in one month? And three 3DS bundles and new colors in a systems' first year? NO WAY was that what Nintendo had planned, and they're not going to be happy about it. 

Well maybe Nintendo needed to wake up and face reality... which is that people weren't gonna drop $250 on a handheld system with absolutely no compelling games just because it has a gimmicky glasses-free 3D feature.  And what a shame to have to release 3 big titles so close together... I mean imagine if M$ or Sony had to do that... oh wait, they do.   Every single year... which is why they're doing so well now, compared to Nintendo, who only release one or two notable system-sellers a year, if that.  back in '07-'08, we had Metroid, Mario, Smash, and MK all on the same system, and all within 8 months of one another.  Boy, I'd sure hate to have a lineup like that every other year... much better to release just one notable game a year and expect everyone to buy it because they're so desperate for any reason to dust off their systems.

With 3DS, sure. Really dumb launch strategy, too pricey, and neither a system defining new IP (like Wii Sports) nor a big established IP.

I was more speaking from Nintendo's business perspective. Price drops, new colors and bundles are tools they would have preferred sparing for later in the cycle. Good for us, just like the current first party AAA flood. But Nintendo can only produce so many top titles, and if they can't space out the release schedule, they might run into another software drought later. Let's hope not. You're definitely right about them dropping the ball 2008-2009; Wii could have become the best selling system ever, had Nintendo not fallen asleep for 2 years. 

You mentioned MS and Sony: I always thought that many of their IP's don't get enough "breathing space" in between games to really develop anticipation. Ratchet & Clank, for example... how many did they release, 4 last generation, 5 in this? That's just too much, and nobody can really be surprised that they will never reach the popularity of Mario. (Yeah I know there are always tons of Mario themed games, but mainline platformers are big events you only get every 3-5 years.)

Well, I always suspected Mario Kart 7 wasn't originally planned to be launched so early in 3DS life, because you know there was only 1 mario kart game in each nintendo console. Does this mean maybe in the future will be seeing another Mario Kart game for 3DS?

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

NightDragon83 said:
OneTwoThree said:
NightDragon83 said:

I dont think any system is doing well