By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I buy a 360?

So I already have a ps3 and I am quite happy with it, I enjoy the free online play alot and the exclusives are better in MY eyes. Recently though I have been wondering if Xbox Live is all it is cracked up to be? Is the online experience really that much better? I would say most of my friends are split 60-40 between Live and PSN. Also kinect seems to be better than the move, those kinect bundles are going fast and I am waiting it out for boxing day to make my purchase and see if there is a better deal than the 4gb with kinect for 199, or if its the same ill just bite the proverbial bullet and get it anyway. I also think my gf would enjoy more of the games Kinect has to offer, but I worry that it isnt really supported that much by Microsoft as they dont develop to many games for it.

So if there is someone out there who is kind enough and has been in my position before and is willing to share there advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

ps. Xbox Exclusives that I would like to play are Gears of War 1,2 and 3 and Alan Wake (not counting the kinect games ) ..... Also it seems like alot of multi platform games perform better on the 360 which makes me a sad panda

Edit: Just wanted to add the type of games that I am interested in which are Action/Adventure games (Uncharted, Infamous, Heavenly Sword, God of War, Red Dead Redemption).... I like some shooters like Killzone and games that have good online multiplayer like Madden and CoD.

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

Around the Network

I don't really think it's worth it. Owning two consoles works better if you have a ps3/wii, xb360/wii, or wii/pc combo. The 360 and PS3 are too similar this generation to justify having the two HD twins

If you can think of 10 games you want to play badly on the 360 that can't be played on the ps3 then yes.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:
If you can think of 10 games you want to play badly on the 360 that can't be played on the ps3 then yes.

I can think of 5-7 unless of course the experience of Xbox Live is that much better, then I would rather get the online multiplat games (Madden, CoD, 2k12, Fifa) for the 360 then.

What made you decide to get both?

I have lived as a warrior. I have died as a god. Having suffered the ultimate sacrifice, I have been denied release. I...I will defeat Olympus. I will have my revenge

--Kratos

Personally I'm going to buy another 360 (mine broke) when it gets cheap like the old xbox and gamecube just to see what Gears Of War is all about. The only way I would buy the 360 right now, is if I had a lot of extra cash and not enough games to play. Kinect right now isn't worth getting, a better version of the product will come out with the next Xbox.

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

Around the Network
Mythe said:
Personally I'm going to buy another 360 (mine broke) when it gets cheap like the old xbox and gamecube just to see what Gears Of War is all about. The only way I would buy the 360 right now, is if I had a lot of extra cash and not enough games to play. Kinect right now isn't worth getting, a better version of the product will come out with the next Xbox.

How cheap lol? What made you get both systems in the first place though? I have only heard good things about it, what is the downside to it?

--Kratos

I'm getting a used 4GB 360s plus Kinect 1.0 AFTER Xbox 720 and Kinect 2.0 come out. Then I'll play those 3 or 4 360 exclusive exclusive (not just console exclusives where I can buy the game for PC) and it'll be dirt cheap. And it'll mean I get to enjoy this gen a lot longer so don;t feel the need to dive in to the next gen before at least 2 price cuts on the PS4.

So if anyone with a PS3 asks me about getting a 360 that's always my advice.

BTW if your gf kinda likes games then I think the options for 360 and PS3 are pretty much the same. Girls love Buzz, mostly.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Like at least $100 cheap if even not less.
I got the Xbox 360 cause the PS3 had no games, cost a lot of money and they removed backward compatibility so I was pissed and got 360 even though I knew it would cost me more because of Xbox Live and buy the online wireless adapter. I got the PS3 after the 360 because the PS3 had games I actually wanted to play ( I don't care for Halo) all the games I wanted to play that were exclusive to the 360 were ported to the PS3, a lot of great exclusives were coming to the PS3, PlayStation Plus was coming out, I knew my Xbox was going to die one day, and free online.
( I may have forgotten something but w.e.)

Honestly there is no point having both consoles unless you want to play certain exclusives. I ended up ignoring my 360 to play my PS3 after I bought the PS3. I didn't touch the Xbox for a few months (I think) until a big Xbox update came out. That was the last time I touched it cause it died, but it doesn't really matter that it happened because I wouldn't have played the 360 anymore anyways. Both consoles are great, it just comes down to if the exclusive games and if you want to pay for cross game voice chat or pay for free temporary games/discounts.

It was a waste of money in my opinion to buy both, and I would never do it again. But really I couldn't have known that 360 wouldn't bring out anymore exclusive RPGs and Sony would start bringing out lots of good exclusives. If I were you I would buy a Wii instead, that would be better money well spent, and this is coming from a guy that hates the Wii, but in all seriousness you will get a better/different gaming experience with the Wii and they have a lot of good exclusive games that make me sick (I'm not joking I actually get sick, I haven't been able to play a Mario game since he went 3D cause I get motion sickness). But ya..... I talk too much...

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

There's that hing you said about your girlsfriend that is true though. She might like Kinect games better than Move's games and frankly Xbox Live is not much better than PSN unless you start having lots of friends to play with. There's a lot of games on XBLA that are really good especially those from Twisted Pixel.

You might also like the fact that you can browse menus on the dash board with Kinect. I wouldn't worry about support for the peripheral, you don't spend so much money in advertising and try hard to integrate it on the next Windows and tvs just to stop supporting in a few years. If you like car games,

I recomment Forza 4 with Kinect... just played that today at a friend's place... when done properly, it really adds to games.

Unless you like dance and party-style games, Kinect really isn't all its cracked up to be. If you want to get your girlfriend more involved in gaming then get a Wii... it's much cheaper than Move or a 360 + Kinect, and it's basically giving you the same experience, especially with Wii Sports / Resort, and multiplayer co-op games like Mario Kart, NSMB Wii, DKC Returns and Kirby.

As for the neverending XBL vs. PSN argument, I think the biggest advantage you get with the 360's online (at least if ur a Gold member) is more exclusive DLC, arcade games and features like ESPN (assuming ur ISP supports ESPN3.com), and the fact that you won't have to worry about the type of issues PSN went through earlier this year. Plus, at least from my personal experience as well as my friends who own both systems, the 360's online is better for big multiplatform titles like Call of Duty, Madden, etc.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.