By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Smash Bros. competitor all but confirmed, test images revealed

axumblade said:
Wasn't Michael just a gamer that everyone obsessed over in the commercial talking about the "now $199" price? I'm calling false until something more substantial comes along. Those images don't really tell us anything at this point.

I've heard this rumor before. They are talking about it on Gametrailers as well.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:

just think all these guys in one fighting game ( give or take a few )...

sounds pretty darn exciting to me... and yeah as some have said and will say these guys aren't as popular as guys  like mario or sonic... but for me personally i'm not too concerned about how popular characters are in games i play... i'm just mainly focused on whether the game is fun or not

Lol.

Apart from Parappa and Sackboy, who are these guys?

Serious question but I don't need an answer.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

Crazymann said:
Ha ha!

Time for someone to post the "What Nintendo Create, We Take" picture again...

Still, I am intrigued. Will most definitely purchase if good!

Nintendo invented cross-over fighting games? That certainly is news to me.

@ASStronaut

If serious, you really aren't much of a gamer :/

RolStoppable said:
PullusPardus said:
RolStoppable said:

Sony milks an IP for what it's worth and then moves on. Jak and Daxter fell below the treshold where it was worth continuing, so its developers were encouraged to move on to something new. Of the three PS2 platformer series, only the bestselling one was continued on the PS3. Everything that doesn't sell well enough anymore is either discontinued or handed to a second tier development studio.

@Bolded

so how is that different from Nintendo?

It isn't and that was my point all along.

You initially said that Sony doesn't like to stick to its IPs like Nintendo does, but it's actually just a matter of the ability to maintain the relevance of an IP. Nintendo does a better job at this than anyone else in the business. It's not so much that Sony says "we'd like to do something new" when they create new IPs, it's more like "we need to make something new", because the existing IPs are stagnating at a dissatisfactory level.

People just get mad when its not their favourite franchise the one that is succesffully being milked. One may hear some rants against the yearly iteration of COD but its just a minority. Now when its something "less hardcore" like Guitar Hero or a Nintendos IP then there is a different story.

RolStoppable said:
bouzane said:

@ASStronaut

Those four guys next to Sackboy, aren't they from Yakuza?

I believe you are correct. I have never played any of the Yakuza games which is ironic considering how much I enjoyed Shenmue.

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
This is gonna suck and sell horrible and I'll tell you why:

1) No recognizable character worldwide. Kratos is not that famous in EU/Japan, Drake not famous in Japan, and everything else not famous anywhere

What's with the pessimism? I think if it's done well and has a good marketing campaign it will do brilliantly! Who wouldn't want to see Sackboy take on Kratos! 

As for your no recognisable characters worldwide opinion, I disagree. God of War 3 has sold about 1.4m just in EU, it's only been out 87 weeks and that's just people who bought it new, if you consider how many people have bought the game used as well it must have sold closer to 2.5m or maybe more (who knows), which is more than enough to make it Kratos a recognisable character in EU for Playstation gamers. It also sold over 140k in Japan which is great for a western game and is enough for Kratos to be a fairly recognisable Playstation character in Japan. 

Uncharted 2 has sold very well in Japan too, it's at about 160k, and again that's just new copies so imagine how many people bought it used too, enough for Drake to fairly famous in Japan too.

God of War, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and LittleBigPlanet are all successful worldwide. Sony's other ips not so much but there's still a few that are reasonably successful, Killzone, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous, Jak and Daxter, Heavy rain and Resistance. Then there's other fairly successful franchises Heavenly Sword, Sly Cooper, Twisted Metal and Shadow of the Colossus. Anyway, not every franchise needs to be incredibly successful for 'Sony's Smash Bros' to be a success, a lot of these games have very dedicated and loyal fanbases, so if all the loyal fans from all of these franchises go out and buy 'Sony's Smash Bros', it will be a great success!

PullusPardus said:
RolStoppable said:
PullusPardus said:

where is my Jak and Daxter sequel then? =[

Sony milks an IP for what it's worth and then moves on. Jak and Daxter fell below the treshold where it was worth continuing, so its developers were encouraged to move on to something new. Of the three PS2 platformer series, only the bestselling one was continued on the PS3. Everything that doesn't sell well enough anymore is either discontinued or handed to a second tier development studio.

@Bolded

so how is that different from Nintendo?

Nintendo also doesn't hand it's most valuable IPs to less competent developers, the only time they did was when they handed Metroid to, at the time, unproven Retro. This gen alone, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, God of War, Sly Cooper, and what was supposed to be Playstation Move Heroes, all at one point, were seeded to smaller developers, and I'll bet that Resistance, LBP, and inFamous will be in the hands of smaller devs next gen. Do you see Nintendo handing Mario and Zelda off to whoever asks for it? No. 

bouzane said:

@ASStronaut

don't bother he's a big ass of a troll

ElGranCabeza said:
This is gonna suck and sell horrible and I'll tell you why:

1) No recognizable character worldwide. Kratos is not that famous in EU/Japan, Drake not famous in Japan, and everything else not famous anywhere
2) Developer is unknown. Remember when Sony gave 3 of its biggest mascots to the horrible Nihilistic Software and they made one of the worst games of all time? They then rewarded them by having them make Resistance Vita which so far looks pretty fucking bad? Yeah, expect more of the same. MNR was supposed to be Mario Kart like but it sucked and the load times actually put me to sleep. Nothing Mario Kart about that.

I thought for sure you would support this game

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

riderz1337 said:

you be trolling? dont be a sony hater. if microsoft made a smash bros they would have master chief the guy from gears of war and a car.

HATERS GON HATE

lol...

I can already tell before reading the rest of the comments someone will be upset with your comment =]