By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RUMOR - Final Fantasy VII or Dragon Quest VII to be remade for 3DS.

I don't know if this is even relevant, but FFVII characters like Cloud, Aerith and Yuffie appeared in KH games on Nintendo platforms. I remember than Aerith is also set to appear in Theatrhythm (or whatever it's called) as well, with One Winged Angel featuring as well. To me that implies that Sony doesn't own the rights to FFVII, or at least the characters and music.

That's not to say I think FFVII 3D is likely. I would personally love it to happen though, I thought the DS remakes of III and IV were fantastic and would love to see V, VI and beyond done in a similar fashion.

Around the Network

I have a question....Why must be a SE game?

We already have Mario Kart 7. Maybe it's another game with the "7" in it.

Onibaka said:
I have a question....Why must be a SE game?

We already have Mario Kart 7. Maybe it's another game with the "7" in it.

Because then it wouldn't be a rumor. Kart 7 is imminently releasing worldwide

Unless this Japanese site is just trolling...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Either games are possible, Dragon Quest has been with Ninty for quite a while, so it might jolly well be very possible.

Final Fantasy on the other hand, considering that FF was always released on Nintendo till V or VI (which one I forgot), after which it's been a PS staple (until XIII)... Not quite as possible. Unless the re-release on FF VII on the 3DS's going to signify a re-cooperation of some sort between SE and N? But wouldn't that piss Sony off?

Plus remaking FF VII on the 3DS platform (which is frankly speaking still a very small audience) wouldn't do fans across the world justice IMO. I mean, FF VII was released on a Sony console after all, plus FF is still a staple in Sony consoles, so releasing a much-wanted epic by fans on another fledgling platform wouldn't be really apt?

As a 3DS owner I'll really want the latter to happen, but what are the chances? It still does exist, but I wouldn't really pin all of my hopes on this rumor ATM.

I'll say what everyone is dancing around. Final Fantasy 7 remake on the 3DS will look like ass. Graphics have gotten a lot better and to be frank would you want Final Fantasy 7 remake looking like Final Fantasy X/XII or would you rather it look like Final Fantasy XIII? If you're going to take the time to remake your highest selling game you damn well better put all your resources and do a good job and putting the game on the 3DS wouldn't do that.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
I'll say what everyone is dancing around. Final Fantasy 7 remake on the 3DS will look like ass. Graphics have gotten a lot better and to be frank would you want Final Fantasy 7 remake looking like Final Fantasy X/XII or would you rather it look like Final Fantasy XIII? If you're going to take the time to remake your highest selling game you damn well better put all your resources and do a good job and putting the game on the 3DS wouldn't do that.

First, I would like to clarify that I really don't think it's FF7 (if the rumor is even true at all).

That said, there is a reason why a FF7 remake (port?) would end up on the 3DS instead of an HD console. It would be the same logic that lead Capcom to put MHTri on the Wii instead of the PS3 - development time and money. SE went on record quite a few times that a FF7 remake would take forever (in development time). So where wouldn't it take forever? Perhaps on the 3DS.

But, as I wrote initially, I don't think it's FF7.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

It would be quite entertaining to watch the internet meltdowns if it turned out to be FFVII , It would be a great addition to 3DS's library as well

As for me personally, I don't care much about the remake itself as I never played the original, though I am pretty curious about it since it seems to be a lot of people's fav in the series and I've recently given FFXIII a try and liked it

padib said:

I think you're bang on, and obviously from there it escalated to more and then more reasons came in, like it is in a bad breakup where all your faults suddenly appear after you've broken up lol.

So, I think you're right, and then more came up, but I was just saying that FF and lots of other franchises were on Nintendo, it was weird for us to see them on Playstation, but there were reasons. Now, there would be reasons the game would come out on 3DS, on of those being that Square-Enix has been making friends with Ninty with the GBA and even more the DS. Do you remember the time when even the old Final Fantasies (which Nintendo published) weren't even appearing on the Gameboy, and went directly to the Wonderswan?? Those days were killer for Ninty fans. I'm mosly saying, thankfully, things have changed for the better, no more unnecessary ostracising of Ninty.

Yeah, I can understand why it would be weird for a fan of older FF games to see them on Playstation. Your description of what happened is pretty perfect to be honest.

Square do seem to be supporting Nintendo a lot but it's mainly with older style games and remakes of the 2D FF's. Final Fantasy VII literally has a franchise of its own and it has a huge following on Playstation, it's like the FF fans are divided, Final Fantasy I - VI don't seem out of place when they are remade on a Nintendo handheld, but the idea of Final Fantasy VII being on the 3DS seems really odd.

padib said:

So, here is the deal. Most pre-VII Final Fantasy games were published by Square, for the exception of Final Fantasy 1, which was published by Nintendo in NA only.

Square and Nintendo were very close actually, hence their going apart being so bitter. As a matter of fact, Miyamoto led dev teams at square when they co-developed Super Mario RPG. And it was a huge deal back then for Nintendo to let another company handle its main IPs, especially Mario.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_RPG:_Legend_of_the_Seven_Stars#Development

Here's a really interesting article. Yamauchi's vehemence is the most striking one on the matter:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/faq/1806

Saying that Nintendo and Square weren't close was a real shot in the dark to be honest, I would have thought Nintendo would have made them first party devs if they were.

I guess Final Fantasy jumping to Playstation back in the day was a bigger deal than I thought it was.

brendude13 said:
Darc Requiem said:
brendude13 said:

Why do you get so touchy everytime someone mentions this?

Being the publisher of a game means you usually have some rights to it, just like Mass Effect, you know, the game in your avatar. If you don't think SONY has any rights to FFVII in some way or another then post information proving this, rather than posting three "facepalm" GIF's.

Because I've been seeing people repeat the lie for 14 years. The gifs adequately express my annoyance. Using your broken logic, Nintendo would own the Final Fantasy franchise because the published the original game. There is a difference between publishing an IP and actually owning it. You bring up Mass Effect but neglect to mention that MS funded the development and published the original Mass Effect. MS only signed a deal for the first game and EA bought Bioware in the interim. Which is why EA owns the rights to ME2 and ME3 but not ME1.

Own the Final Fantasy franchise? When did I say that? Squaresoft and Nintendo were never really that close I believe, all the Final Fantasy games were published by SQUARE. I never commented on how closely involved SONY was with the production of Final Fantasy VII, you did, all I asked was that you provide some facts before you start belittling people without backing up your claim whatsoever.

As for Mass Effect, I already knew that. Why did you think I bought it up? Mass Effect was funded and published by MS, in the same way that Final Fantasy VII COULD have been funded and published by SONY. I know that FFVII was published by SONY in certain regions, as for how closely they were involved in the production or funding of the game, I don't know. That could decide if SONY has rights to the game or not, which is why I asked you for the information.

I'm just sick of people getting hard-ons over seeing Final Fantasy VII fans who are Playstation owners getting shafted. If Halo Anniversary was a PS3 exclusive you wouldn't expect Xbox 360 owners to keep quiet would you?

EDIT: Carl beat me to it.

Square and Nintendo used to be very close. Until Nintendo and Square had a falling over the N64 sticking with the cartridge format, all mainline Final Fantasy exclusive to Nintendo. 

As for FInal Fantasy VII it it was published by Sony in Europe and North America (1997), Square in Japan (1997), and every where else(1997), and Eidos published the PC version in Europe and North America (1998.) Side note: The PSN version was published by SE in 2009.  The aformentioned information while just lead to us to continue go in circles. Since I can't find reputable web sources showing that SE owns the rights, I'll email them and get the information from the horse's mouth, post the response email from SE, and be done with t.

sepoer said:
DS already had DQ 4, 5, 6. So I believe DQ 7 is for 3DS.

it also had DQ 9 and Monster Joker and more.

"Nintendo fan for life"