By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why do you hate the Wii?

I don't, I used to have one not too long ago.

I never understood the "underpowered" argument. Because it's simply not HD, you can't enjoy it's videogames?

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

Region locking policy of Nintendo is what I hate the most nowadays. RL is the thing of the past and it needs to die in great pain and suffering, NOW!

Not that i hate, Ive barley played it because there are no games that have interested me, I was a big fan of the gamecube because it bought a beautiful looking resident evil 0 and 1 to the table, seems like they have done nothing to push the hardware this time around considering its meant to be more powerfull than the gamecube

pezus said:
Solid-Stark said:

I never understood the "underpowered" argument. Because it's simply not HD, you can't enjoy it's videogames?

Underpowered doesn't just mean "no HD"

I know, but strong emphasis is put on it when it's mentioned. Not to mention it can be considered invalid as every console has it's respective exclusives that define the platform.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Solid-Stark said:
pezus said:
Solid-Stark said:

Underpowered doesn't just mean "no HD"

I know, but strong emphasis is put on it when it's mentioned. Not to mention it can be considered invalid as every console has it's respective exclusives that define the platform.

You can't deny that Nintendo were being very sneaky when they decided not to include HD for the Wii to save costs  - HD was dropping fairly quickly in price at the time.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

I don't hate the wii, I don't see how anyone could ever hate an inanimate object, I'm just very disappointed in Nintendo at their complete inability to capitalize on a great market.

when the Wii was initially released, I was hooked. Not only did I absolutely adore the system, it was my all time favorite. the games were epic, the Virtual Console was flawless, and for a while the motion controls were pretty damn cool. the first year or two of the console's life was fantastic, such as Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Metroid Prime, etc, then after MarioKart Wii came out, there was a dead zone where almost nothing was released for a year and a half, with a few random mediocre titles in here and there. There wasn't a good season for the system till last winter, when Kirby's Epic Yarn and Donkey Kong Country Returns were released, and even this year only has a few games worth playing.

the system was a massive success and nintendo took this opportunity not to make a lot of really awesome games, but instead give us Wii Music and Wii fit.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

brendude13 said:
Reasons why I dislike Wii:

Overpriced (well it was a year ago)
Severely underpowered
Limited controls (Do you mean the motion?)
Lack of good 3rd party games
Lack of software features (online, movie player etc.) (This I agree with)

Same old franchises that have barely changed or innovated (Please explain)

Reasons why I dislike Nintendo:

All of their products have stupidly high profit margins (This isn't Apple we're talking about. Other than Wii, what Nintendo product has an insanely high profit margin?)
Marketing their products towards families, casual gamers and people who don't know any better (This is sure to change with the 3DS/Wii U.)
Alienating hardcore gamers (How?)
Franchise milking (Once again, explain.)

...Yet I still want to buy a Wii, mainly for the Gamecube backwards compatibility but also for the Wii games.

My responses are bolded.

lot of the good 3rd party games i like aint on it

most of the games that are on it arent targeted for me

dont like any of its exclusives

Play Me

IamAwsome said:

brendude13 said:
Reasons why I dislike Wii:

Limited controls (Do you mean the motion?)

Not just the motion controls but also inaccessable buttons and the lack of a second analogue stick. Like I said to someone else, it works great for some games like Resident Evil 4 but on a game like Call of Duty, the control scheme falls flat on its face.

Same old franchises that have barely changed or innovated (Please explain)

Mario Kart, Super Mario Brothers, Mario 3D, these games have been released over and over for years, even decades and not many changes are made. It's not only that the games are released over and over without many changes, it's the sheer number of IP's that Nintendo has that they continue to milk yet they never create a new IP.

I must say though, Mario Galaxy, while similar to other Mario 3D games, was a huge step forward. They tried something new and it paid off, what a game.

Reasons why I dislike Nintendo:

All of their products have stupidly high profit margins (This isn't Apple we're talking about. Other than Wii, what Nintendo product has an insanely high profit margin?)

Every one of their consoles really, apart from the 3DS (even though I believe that the losses on the 3DS are being dramatised and soon it will be extremely profitable again). Even last year, the Wii was still £170, I got an ex-display 250gb Xbox 360 slim for £110, those profit margins are huge. The DS is an even bigger culprit, it would cost you over £140 for a DSi last year, which I believe is just as expensive as when the damn thing launched.

Marketing their products towards families, casual gamers and people who don't know any better (This is sure to change with the 3DS/Wii U.)

Or so they say. It's funny because just 5 minutes ago, two advertisements for the 3DS came on. One of them was advertising Nintendogs and the other the pink 3DS. The 3DS has only just come out and the Wii U is roughly a year away, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Alienating hardcore gamers (How?)

Basically, all of my points I made above in my original post back this point up, everything from the controls, to lack of hardcore and 3rd party games. Another great example is operation rainfall, they don't give a shit about the hardcore gamer and that's the main reason why I doubt Nintendo will change next generation.

Franchise milking (Once again, explain.)

Same as the response to "Same old franchises that have barely changed or innovated".

My responses are bolded.

Mine are in italics.

Dont hate it, dissapointed in how Ninty handled it?? Hell yeah. IMHO, they halfassed the entire motion control concept, that was supposed to be THE thing for it and even that was not well done, then many moons later they release an update to get it to play the way it was meant to from the jump and it wasnt even supported.
The online is crap, period. WiiWare selection is laughable and the one shining beacon; VC has been getting crap support all year. At least it has Netfilx
Hardware power is crap, Ninty released a console that was only slightly more powerful than GC a YEAR after the first HD console released? ANd Ninty fans wonder why most worthwhile PS360 games never make it to the Wii.
Speaking of games, the library is sad. Not Ninty they are ok, but 3rd party games are far below the HDs, hell they are far below GC IMHO. The blame goes to Ninty and 3rd parties. Ninty should have not scrimped on hardware power and 3rd parties could have tried harder.
But really at the end of the day, im a multiplat owner and the Wii's woes dont effect me much. But judging it by itself...