Forums - Sales Discussion - WW UP 12th of November

Seece said:
LivingMetal said:
smroadkill15 said:
goforgold said:
Seece said:
goforgold said:
Seece said:

1. no I'm not, I'm just not congratulating nor am I shocked it did roughly the same as it did last year

2. Jesus Christ man do you know what happens to a console when it's official price drops lower than $199, there's literally a similarity between every console, do you not know what that is....

3. a bundle and or/including a deal in almost EVERY major territory on the biggest game of the year that have only gotten bigger...EVERY YEAR,  during the holiday no less. really? how low did you guys think it was going to do??? 10k... 11k??? honest question

You really don't get it do you. The 360 has been at $199 for many years now, past what is normally a peak for a console (actually way past it) so for it to be almost flat in its 6th year (3rd year at the same price) and to not have the buzz of Kinect launch, yes, that is amazing. I know exactly what happens to a console when it goes $199. Do you know what normally happens to a console 3 years AFTER it's gone $199? obviously not seen as you're not surprised by its sales.

if that shit is amazing to you then the PS3 must be blowing your mind- oh wait nevermind

Yes, the ps3 is selling amazingly well, but I think it's a little more impessive on the 360's part consider the ps3 had an official price cut this year(along with one in 2009), while the 360 hasn't had one in 3 years and it's a 6 year old system.

Actually out of principle, the Xbox 360 Slim effectively served as a price cut since it was a console that offered more than its previous version while being offered as a similar price.  So if you want to get technical, you are correct.  But in the real world, the principle of a price cut still applies to the Xbox 360 Slim.  Also, it's just not the Xbox 360 anymore.  It the Xbox 360 + Kinect.  Imagine Xbox 360 sales if there wasn't a Kinect.  Kinect has been a major factor in boosting Xbox 360 sales during this holiday and last holiday.  Now if Microsoft can sustain current Xbox 360 sales WITHOUT Kinect, That would be impressive.  But when you cater to the masses/casuals/non-gamers, you'll get an edge on sales.  From a gamer's POV, not impressive.

But it had Kinect this time last year, and the Slim was over 5 months old at this time. I agree with most of what you said, I don't see how it's not impressive to a 'gamers' POV though, or why it matters who it is, rather, judge the sales for what they are.

I did say "this holiday and last holiday" in regards to Kinect.  And in regards to a "gamer's POV,"  nothing wrong with expanding your market from a sales POV.  So the more you attempt to expand your market, the more potential sales you'll gain which Microsoft has done thus far.  But it gets to a point where is hardly serves your core audience.  I'd rather see Microsoft invest millions of dollars in more quality platformers, survival horror, action adventure, and jrpg which caters more to the hardcore/core fanbase of gamers rather than their current Kinect offerings which in general appeals more to the casuals while attracting the non-gamers.  So yes, from a gamer's POV, not impressive.  And so what that the Xbox 360 Slim was over 5 months oid at that time.  Still served as a price drop.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:

Not trying to be the buzz kill here but people keep mentioning that the 360 is doing incredible numbers, which it is, but they bring up reasons like "It is doing this without a price cut", "It is doing this without the Kinect launch and is only 19k down YoY", etc...

You need to put this into perspective and understand that while it does not have the buzz from the Kinect launch, it does however have exclusive advertising pretty much World Wide for the years BIGGEST release, custom MW3 console bundles, $100 giftcard promotions pretty much nation wide here in the US, with the $100 Gamestop deal being the week of MW3 and Skyrim launch. Pretty much Gamestop's way of saying "Here, buy an XBox and get the 2 hottest releases on the house".

So yes, the numbers are incredible with the onslaught of big time releases and insane deals, but while it didn't get a $50 cut like the PS3, it sure as hell had $50-$100 promotions for well over a month now.

So if anyone is going to attempt to undermine PS3 sales at all and use the relatively small YoY increase or being flat YoY as a negative needs to keep it real and do the same thing with the 360 sales considering it is like the only console getting huge deals left and right to help shift stock.

Not knocking any specific consoles, just being real here, so nobody get bent out of shape please, lol.

Amen.  Take away the $200 console (that for some reason some fans think barely sells, yet are kept on shelves and in production) and the $100 gift card deals, then the 360 wouldn't be doing as hot this past month or so.  It's fine to be impressed by 360's numbers (I am too), but to not put it in perspective, or worse, downplay the PS3's great years, is pretty delusional. 

pezus said:
I find it hard to believe that the PS3 and 360 version are that close in EMEAA, the 360 version outsold the PS3 version in the UK by only about 250k so VGC is saying the PS3 version outsold the 360 version in the rest of the countries by only 250k total? Considering Germany probably at least accounts for a 200k gap, it's just hard to believe.

Still - it's all just speculation from me so I won't say the magic word

Well Modern Warfare 2 sold better on 360 then PS3 week 1, and the tie ratio between CoD players and console owners is growing faster on 360 then it is on PS3.

Also like I said to you before. Who knows what the PSN outage did to the CoD PS3 community. I know out of the select few CoD fans I know online and in person, every one who actually owns a PS3 thought about selling it and switching over to 360, and everyone thinking of getting into CoD was looking 360.

So if this is true for the larger CoD community, it makes sense for 360 sales to be a lot more heavily impacted then PS3 sales for MW3.

Anyway, I don't think sales will get adjusted, 360 also got a boost from many retail specific price cuts, which really helped in NA. That, and Skyrim, a Wester RPG, typically boosts sales more for 360 since the 360 has a much larger NA appeal (total, sales are almost 2:1 in favor of 360), and this boost is still much smaller then it was in 2010.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

mjk45 said:
Reasonable said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Shinobi-san said:
Now that i checked the region numbers i see 360 had a massive increase in EMEAA, while ps3 had a very minor increase...

well it dropped last week

and 40~50k gap not really close,and should be 100k+ again later

Considering it was 100k last week I think it's pretty close. As far as I know there wasn't a special edition 360 this week in EMEAA, or was there?

There was.  MW3 bundle in all main European countries I believe.  As I noted in a few of the prediction threads while MS is clearly looking to avoid an official RRP price drop they're going to use bundles and deals to effectively aggresively reduce the price to the consumer or appeal to the CoD fanbase to drive their holiday spike.

Not there's anything wrong with that, PS3 will have deals, etc. too - but I always feel MS does a better job of judging which bundles/deals to drive maximum return in the countries 360 is popular in and sees a bigger return.

That said with a SW title over 100K in Japan and huge MW3 numbers for PS3 in EMEAA matching those of 360 I'm a little surprised the PS3 saw no real boost in those territories.  The 360 numbers make sense, and given the lack of MW3 bundles for PS3 I didn't expect it to match 360 boost wise anywhere, but it does seem to have seen particularly weak boosts nonetheless.

Still - I can't complain, things are heading to the virtual (and sure to be entertaining) tie for HW for the year with 360 sure to do more over the holidays.  The forums are going to be interesting place for the next few weeks.

Would I be right in assuming that these MW3 deals cost MS a fair bit of money  and that a higher proportion than usual are sold to people who are already  360 owners ,and Sony spreads theirs out more and  tends to use theirs to promote their exclusives and gets benefit year round where as Ms spends up at the peak buying time to gain ground,  also being the start to the holiday season and MW3 being a blockbuster  is the real impact positive as it is , clouded.

Dont think the MW3 bundles cost MS much at all. Certainly more profitable than the 250GB Holiday Bundle.  On Newegg you can get 320GB HD for the same price as 250GB HD.  You add in an extra controller and game.  Combined those wont cost MS $100. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

TheSource said:

Hardware is actually fairly bad across the board.

Thanks to Nintendo.

X360 is down 12% in November so far globally,

First week had Kinect launch, no surprised, Black Friday will put it up YoY by the end of the month.

after being up in Oct a bit, Nintendo hw is only flat against 2010 in Nov 2011 / Q4 2011 so far, even with a new system selling well,

Yup, Wii down 197k?

Sony hw is down against 2010 both in Nov and for Q4 2011 so far although PS3 is up 5% in Nov to date.

PSP is a dying system with Vita on the way, and PS3 is up

There really isn't much big software for the rest of the month either. Just Zumba 2, Assassin's Creed, Zelda, Marioland 3D, Halo-remake and a bunch of semi-big stuff.

Same as every other year then when we get no new releases after the week before Black Friday?

As always, Nintendo doing bad, so, so is the whole industry.

Around the Network
pezus said:
Hyruken said:
Not shocked at the 360 numbers, but shocked at the people crying about it....

It happens every year in the build up to the holidays, you think people would learn by now.

Also just thought i would add something to the whole "Europe" thing. In case you have not heard countries like Spain,France,Italy,Greece and now maybe Germany are in financial trouble. In Spain 40% of ages 16-35 are out of a job. That is the gaming audience. I am surprised that the numbers for all the consoles are that high right now in europe considering the eurozone issues.

The sad thing is the numbers will continue to mirror last years and the year before that, and the year before that but yet people will still cry undertrackz for da ps3!! Sony never wins the holidays. Feck even November last year in the NPD 360 sold 1.4m and the PS3 sold only 500k. An almost 900k gap just from that one month.

I think very few people honestly expected PS3 to be doing better then 360 in the run up to holidays.

Bolded: I see an error in your reasoning.

Why don't you list EMEAA numbers for November last year while you're at it, and maybe Japan too?

There is no error. The point i was making was to show that at this time of the year 360 sells more. That isn't even debatable.

To save an argument the WORLDWIDE numbers for november last year was 360 - 2.218m and PS3 - 1.8m. That was with the launch of GT5 and the bundles etc

What i was trying to say was that 360 numbers in the states from this period until the end of the holidays are always stronger then the PS3. This year will be no different. The high numbers in the US make up for the EMEAA and Japan numbers. With what is happening in europe with the financial situation i would expect ps3 and 360 numbers to be well down on last years in EMEAA.

thx1139 said:
mjk45 said:
Reasonable said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Shinobi-san said:
Now that i checked the region numbers i see 360 had a massive increase in EMEAA, while ps3 had a very minor increase...

Considering it was 100k last week I think it's pretty close. As far as I know there wasn't a special edition 360 this week in EMEAA, or was there?

There was.  MW3 bundle in all main European countries I believe.  As I noted in a few of the prediction threads while MS is clearly looking to avoid an official RRP price drop they're going to use bundles and deals to effectively aggresively reduce the price to the consumer or appeal to the CoD fanbase to drive their holiday spike.

Not there's anything wrong with that, PS3 will have deals, etc. too - but I always feel MS does a better job of judging which bundles/deals to drive maximum return in the countries 360 is popular in and sees a bigger return.

That said with a SW title over 100K in Japan and huge MW3 numbers for PS3 in EMEAA matching those of 360 I'm a little surprised the PS3 saw no real boost in those territories.  The 360 numbers make sense, and given the lack of MW3 bundles for PS3 I didn't expect it to match 360 boost wise anywhere, but it does seem to have seen particularly weak boosts nonetheless.

Still - I can't complain, things are heading to the virtual (and sure to be entertaining) tie for HW for the year with 360 sure to do more over the holidays.  The forums are going to be interesting place for the next few weeks.

Would I be right in assuming that these MW3 deals cost MS a fair bit of money  and that a higher proportion than usual are sold to people who are already  360 owners ,and Sony spreads theirs out more and  tends to use theirs to promote their exclusives and gets benefit year round where as Ms spends up at the peak buying time to gain ground,  also being the start to the holiday season and MW3 being a blockbuster  is the real impact positive as it is , clouded.

Dont think the MW3 bundles cost MS much at all. Certainly more profitable than the 250GB Holiday Bundle.  On Newegg you can get 320GB HD for the same price as 250GB HD.  You add in an extra controller and game.  Combined those wont cost MS $100. 

It's not just the bundle, unless they're crazy Activision would have made MS pay for the right to only have 360/Live mentioned in adverts, etc.  I'm talking inclusive costs.  You don't think Sony and MS get to have only their logo for free do you?  They would almost certainly have to vendor fund the advertising with the publisher.  When you see big deals in consumer electronics and games they are almost always heavily vendor funded - i.e. MS is paying for a part of the advertising, the cost reduction of the bundle, the gift card, etc.

Now I'm only speculating based on my own experience in general in retail - I don't know the specifics of any deal (I'd like to of course) but there's no free lunch and there's no way retailers and Activision would simply gift MS (and Sony for their deals) with such discounts and promotions.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Nice boost for the 360.

COD once again selling stupidly high numbers, Skyrim also doing well.

More interested in next weeks numbers though.

Euphoria14 said:

Not trying to be the buzz kill here but people keep mentioning that the 360 is doing incredible numbers, which it is, but they bring up reasons like "It is doing this without a price cut", "It is doing this without the Kinect launch and is only 19k down YoY", etc...

You need to put this into perspective and understand that while it does not have the buzz from the Kinect launch, it does however have exclusive advertising pretty much World Wide for the years BIGGEST release, custom MW3 console bundles, $100 giftcard promotions pretty much nation wide here in the US, with the $100 Gamestop deal being the week of MW3 and Skyrim launch. Pretty much Gamestop's way of saying "Here, buy an XBox and get the 2 hottest releases on the house".

So yes, the numbers are incredible with the onslaught of big time releases and insane deals, but while it didn't get a $50 cut like the PS3, it sure as hell had $50-$100 promotions for well over a month now.

So if anyone is going to attempt to undermine PS3 sales at all and use the relatively small YoY increase or being flat YoY as a negative needs to keep it real and do the same thing with the 360 sales considering it is like the only console getting huge deals left and right to help shift stock.

Not knocking any specific consoles, just being real here, so nobody get bent out of shape please, lol.

pretty much this

(though I'm not disagreeing with you) people also should give credit where its deserved, smart marketing=big sales, it boggles my mine on how little custom PS3 bundles the PS3 gets and most of them only see daylight in japan(or incredibly expnesive and only given to celebs; i.e. killzone 3 PS3/Move PS3).

although I think people maybe jumping the gun a little bit, just because the 360 had a huge week doesn't mean it will rule the holidays season(well most likely it will in NA) it had the biggest game of the year(MW3) and the biggest RPG(Skyrim) heavily advertised for their console along the bundles Euphoria14 was talking about.

Reasonable said:
mjk45 said:
Reasonable said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Shinobi-san said:

Unless MS are marketing wizards (which they might be) then yes the MW3 deals would have cost them money.  Activision has no need to favour MS and would certainly have made them pay for the advertising favouritism while retailers/Activision would almost certainly have got MS to vendor fund bundles.

I suspect a fair number of the MW3 bundles went to existing 360 owners.  Not all but a decent amount.  This is normal for special editions which target existing fans.  Given Sony do this well in Japan I'm always amazed then seem somewhat flumoxed in West about doing the same thing.  But kudos to MS for good targeting of special edition bundles in West.

I think both spend all year round but I do feel there is a situation where Sony spends a bit more all year round and MS focuses more on certain time periods.  Given MS main install base is countries with big seasonal spikes in demand this makes sense whereas Sony at the moment has a more spread install base for PS3 geographically and tends to lean towards more regular advertising to maintain brand visibility.

Overall I think MS advertises better than Sony in the West,particularly in the US, although both do a good job overall I guess.

I agree , In MS favour they  rightly or wrongly have been seen since Halo as the shooter box , and that along with the fact that cod's sell better on there platform made it the perfect match for them also b'ops gained some ground on the PS3 so the MW3 bundling and importantly the advertising that made it look like a 360 first title was the right counter for that, Sony on the other hand seem to weigh up cost and effect more than MS this gen, where as MS coming from the Xbox can continue to spend to build the brand and to tell you the truth both strategys seemed to have worked , horses for courses I guess , MS in gaining ground and Sony in overcoming the burdens placed on the PS3 in relation to carrying  bluray and cell for the entire company.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot