By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - IGN: Why PlayStation 3 Will Outsell Xbox 360

thx1139 said:
Seece said:
S____M____C____C said:
Seece said:
ethomaz said:
Mad55 said:
really? i mean getting second place when another race starts doesnt mean much.

Well... Sony is just growing in market share before the new generation start... for now this is the best they can do after the previous huge profitable last generation.

Microsoft is just profiting now before the new generation because the they need profit now after the huge loses in previous generation.

Seems fine to me... both company's goal.

Wrong. Sony didn't have huge profits last generation, Nintendo beat them and Sony has managed to wipe nearly all PS1/PS2 profits away.

Xbox losses are bad, but Microsoft have officially written them off, so no they're not aiming to recover them, they obviously just want a steady stream of profit in this division.

What source states that Sony didn't make huge profits from the PS2, and states that the Gamecube made more profit? Although you may well be correct, I find this hard to believe, especially when you take software and software royalties into account. 

And I don't believe you can 'write off' a loss, althought I'm not qualified to say so.

Their financials?? The Gamecube era saw Nintendo pass 1B profit twice and come close to it twice (fical years), Sony never passed 1B profit through the PS2 generation, and most years were closer to 500M than 1B. Again talking fiscal years here.

And I believe MS did write it off, as an investment or something, I don't know will have to look it up.

MS didnt write off anything. A loss in a particular division just offsets profits in another.  XYZ company makes 1 million in 1 portion of business and loses 500K in another portion of the business means the XYZ only made 500K and they pay taxes on the 500K.

MS absolutely did "write off" the warranty extension costs due to RROD.  It was a smart move, although they should have been more open and responded more quickly, taking a lot longer than they should have to admit the issue.

Here's some coverage from around the event:

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/story/58422.html

http://hlime.wordpress.com/2007/07/07/xbox-360-3-year-red-ring-of-death-warranty-enhancement/

The write off was basically taking a one time hit for the estimated costs of RROD as while large it was small enough to be covered by their overall revenue and profits and this allowed MS to show profits much earlier for 360 than would otherwise have been the case.  Writing off the charge basically means taking your lumps up front and being done with it.  If they hadn't the cost of covering RROD would have been spread out longer and would have held back when they could claim profitabilty for the 360.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
scat398 said:
Good to see the PS3 is selling strong, it lost badly this generation but if it can keep some strong sales for the next couple of years it can at least help support sony as it brings out the PS4.

I don't think their can be a winner until this gen is over.

THE RACE CONTINUES!!!

kowenicki said:
lol... excellent analysis.

basically... the guy can add up and has wrapped an entire, rather pointless, article around a sum.

it's IGN, I have no idea why they still exist anymore *facepalm*

ethomaz said:
Mad55 said:
really? i mean getting second place when another race starts doesnt mean much.

Well... Sony is just growing in market share before the new generation start... for now this is the best they can do after the previous huge profitable last generation.

Microsoft is just profiting now before the new generation because the they need profit now after the huge loses in previous generation.

Seems fine to me... both company's goal.

I agree with you completely its just that people cant really be to proud of sony passing microsoft once the next gen starts can they? Seems better to just be happy their doing good in general. 

as many members already said, we've kinda expected this to happen(though I didn't at first)

but I hope this doesn't take away from the success the 360 this gen; more than double the consoles from the previous gen and will likely end near triple of what the original xbox did.

Around the Network
Reasonable said:
Train wreck said:
sales2099 said:
Reasonable said:
sales2099 said:
Its Japan and Japan alone. Without it Sony would have never caught up.

It's US and US alone.  Without it MS would never have taken the lead...

See, this kind of argument is essentially meaningless when used with bias.

360 has NA. Sony has EMEAA. Both essentially cancel eachother out. 

Japan is the only thing that allowed Sony to close the gap year after year. That sir, aint bias. 

If EA and NA cancel each other out, then both systems would be even in the end.  MS would not have a NA advantage.  Bad logic is bad.

You beat me to it!

Sales2099... by bias I mean you can't position an argument like that one way - it goes both way depending upon which way you state it.  You simply positioned it from MS/360 perspective which is flawed.

Very well. Then how about this. 

"It's US and US alone.  Without it MS would never have taken the lead...

See, this kind of argument is essentially meaningless when used with bias."

You see at least Sony has a decent presence in NA where as 360 doesn't even come close in Japan.

You point would have merit if PS3 sold as much as 360 does in Japan. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The PS3 will probably outsell the X360 if they bring out some games and bundles. But, I don't see that happening any time soon.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

sales2099 said:
Reasonable said:
Train wreck said:
sales2099 said:
Reasonable said:
sales2099 said:

Japan is the only thing that allowed Sony to close the gap year after year. That sir, aint bias. 

If EA and NA cancel each other out, then both systems would be even in the end.  MS would not have a NA advantage.  Bad logic is bad.

You beat me to it!

Sales2099... by bias I mean you can't position an argument like that one way - it goes both way depending upon which way you state it.  You simply positioned it from MS/360 perspective which is flawed.

You see at least Sony has a decent presence in NA where as 360 doesn't even come close in Japan.

Again it doesn't work like that.  My point has 100% merit because it's how logic works.  The 360 is more popular in some countries, PS3 is others.  Therefore you cannot claim any special "if only this" for one of the consoles.  Claiming if only the countries that preferred PS3 gave 360 more of a chance is automatically the same as asking for countries that favour the 360 to give the PS3 more of a chance.

The percentage difference in preference is irrelevant in such a condition - you can't say because Japan favours PS3 a bit more than US favours 360 that's different.  That just affects the extent to which they'd have to adjust their preference, not the basic fact they would.

Look, I was just calling out your statement was one way when the same logic applies to both and that is the case no matter how you try and argue it isn't so let's leave it there.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

TruckOSaurus said:
Skeeuk said:
wasnt 360 10 million ahead at one time? either way its mighty impressive theres no way microsoft or nintendo could have launched at 599 and compete, just thinking back what could have been if ps3 launched at 299 sony lost it this gen due to price.

if next gen they launch 299 and after a couple of years get to 199 then they will be number 1 again imo

Good thing you're not in charge of Sony. Do you realize the huge massive loss Sony would have incurred if they had lauched at $299? If I remember correctly, they were losing some money on every console even at $599, so at $299 that's an extra $300 in the hole for every PS3 and they would have sold more console so the problem would only have been greater.

yep when PS3 launched it cost around $805-$845 for both sku's. next gen i see PS3 lowest price point around $249-$299 reason being even if they don't use the cell CP the chip they do use likely won't cost much to make. Blu-ray is at its cheapest and will likely be even cheaper come time for PS4's launch so theres no reason other then a speculated 8G RAM that would make PS3 cost anymore then $350.

i'm sure Sony will go for profit next gen.

Reasonable said:
sales2099 said:
Reasonable said:
Train wreck said:
sales2099 said:
Reasonable said:
sales2099 said:

You beat me to it!

Again it doesn't work like that.  My point has 100% merit because it's how logic works.  The 360 is more popular in some countries, PS3 is others.  Therefore you cannot claim any special "if only this" for one of the consoles.  Claiming if only the countries that preferred PS3 gave 360 more of a chance is automatically the same as asking for countries that favour the 360 to give the PS3 more of a chance.

The percentage difference in preference is irrelevant in such a condition - you can't say because Japan favours PS3 a bit more than US favours 360 that's different.  That just affects the extent to which they'd have to adjust their preference, not the basic fact they would.

Look, I was just calling out your statement was one way when the same logic applies to both and that is the case no matter how you try and argue it isn't so let's leave it there.

hey look its reasonable being reasonable. need i say more?