By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - IGN: Why PlayStation 3 Will Outsell Xbox 360

Well yeah. But is this even the main story anymore?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

i didnt read that thing, but if the sales continue like they did in the last months/Years, its a fact that PS3 will end up second Place. (While beeing dead last in NA)

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

Troll_Whisperer said:
This article could be a bad forum post XD.

i felt you needed that one extra word..

Skeeuk said:
wasnt 360 10 million ahead at one time? either way its mighty impressive theres no way microsoft or nintendo could have launched at 599 and compete, just thinking back what could have been if ps3 launched at 299 sony lost it this gen due to price.

if next gen they launch 299 and after a couple of years get to 199 then they will be number 1 again imo

Good thing you're not in charge of Sony. Do you realize the huge massive loss Sony would have incurred if they had lauched at $299? If I remember correctly, they were losing some money on every console even at $599, so at $299 that's an extra $300 in the hole for every PS3 and they would have sold more console so the problem would only have been greater.

Signature goes here!

i'm sure this is something vgc members knew already.

Around the Network

Good article but nothing new.

"One could easily use the old fallback that Xbox 360's insanely high failure rate earlier in its lifecycle contributed to more consoles being sold."

Ouch!

This whole generation Sony has been pushed to do things they didnt want to do.

Add the 20GB PS3 for $499.99 was not in the plan. Because of the incredible bad press on the $599.99 launch price Sony was forced to come up with the 20GB PS3 even though they barely made any.

Remove PS2 backwards compatibility. To be able to reduce price earlier than planned they had to remove the capability to play PS2 games.

Price cut after price cut. The general available PS3 has gone from $599.99 to $499.99 to $399.99 to $299.99 to todays $249.99. I believe all of these cuts are at a minimum 1 year ahead of plan.

I believe all of this has allowed MS to coast along add features and build the brand at move into the black earlier in the life cycle (Except for the RRoD writeoff) much sooner than MS planned. This has allowed MS to also reinvest in the platform and let MS say go ahead Sony play catchup you will get close or pass us, but by the time the next generation starts you will be hurting so much it wont matter if you pass us at the end of this generation when no one is really paying attention any longer.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Good to see the PS3 is selling strong, it lost badly this generation but if it can keep some strong sales for the next couple of years it can at least help support sony as it brings out the PS4.

Im pretty people have been saying this for Years already.

Boo! I already posted this... >_>

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=136803&page=1#12