By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Parents named their Child 'Dovakhiin' - Dragonborn! (Born 11/11/11)

Tagged games:

Whadda'ya think?

Ouch... 24 54.55%

Awesome! 20 45.45%

Total:44
Dallinor said:
mrstickball said:
Dallinor said:
PullusPardus said:
Dallinor said:
No it's not badass, it's ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure he'll hate his name. Or just refer to himself as Tom.

You are jealous because your name is generic , admit it!

It's not so much the name itself that I find ridiculous, it's the context and the source.

I'd rather have the most generic name imaginable than have my parents try to use my very identity as a means to winning a prize. It's insulting, greedy and incredibly nerdish.

And if your parents said they named you Dallinor so you would have a trust fund to send you to college, what would you do?

Bethesda didn't just give away a key for their games. It was a lot more than that, from my understanding.

I would ask them why the choice of my name was based on a set monetary sum and not out of true consideration for my identity? I would also imagine, that coming to know my name was based on a video game character, or was taken from a video game because it was my parents hobby, would mess with my sense of self.

I think a lot of thought should go into naming a child, if you want to name a child something unusual or really out there, you can, but I think parents should be aware they're inviting ridicule into a childs life at an early age. It's not a kitten or a puppy they're naming afterall.

Also ask people with truly unusual names do they like them? Many people with unsual names claim they actually dislike their name, due to the unusual reactions they got growing up and general stuff like the everyday spelling of the name on post, over the phone conversations etc.

I think it would be best to leave the gaming references/names as monikers only.

Did I mention the nerdiness?

How do names even come out and develop in the first place? At some point in history, someone thought David, John, Bob, Bill, Cindy, Sarah, and every other generic name were thought up. Why are unique names - even from games - any different?

If you allow your name to dictate your personality and self, I'd worry there are deeper problems than simply your name. I have a crazy last name that no one, and I mean no one, can pronounce. Guess what? I don't care. Neither should you or anyone else that doesn't have a generic name.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Dallinor said:
mrstickball said:
Dallinor said:
PullusPardus said:
Dallinor said:
No it's not badass, it's ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure he'll hate his name. Or just refer to himself as Tom.

You are jealous because your name is generic , admit it!

It's not so much the name itself that I find ridiculous, it's the context and the source.

I'd rather have the most generic name imaginable than have my parents try to use my very identity as a means to winning a prize. It's insulting, greedy and incredibly nerdish.

And if your parents said they named you Dallinor so you would have a trust fund to send you to college, what would you do?

Bethesda didn't just give away a key for their games. It was a lot more than that, from my understanding.

I would ask them why the choice of my name was based on a set monetary sum and not out of true consideration for my identity? I would also imagine, that coming to know my name was based on a video game character, or was taken from a video game because it was my parents hobby, would mess with my sense of self.

I think a lot of thought should go into naming a child, if you want to name a child something unusual or really out there, you can, but I think parents should be aware they're inviting ridicule into a childs life at an early age. It's not a kitten or a puppy they're naming afterall.

Also ask people with truly unusual names do they like them? Many people with unsual names claim they actually dislike their name, due to the unusual reactions they got growing up and general stuff like the everyday spelling of the name on post, over the phone conversations etc.

I think it would be best to leave the gaming references/names as monikers only.

Did I mention the nerdiness?

How do names even come out and develop in the first place? At some point in history, someone thought David, John, Bob, Bill, Cindy, Sarah, and every other generic name were thought up. Why are unique names - even from games - any different?

If you allow your name to dictate your personality and self, I'd worry there are deeper problems than simply your name. I have a crazy last name that no one, and I mean no one, can pronounce. Guess what? I don't care. Neither should you or anyone else that doesn't have a generic name.

That's a last name, your family name. No big deal there. I'm just glad they left this child with a normal middle name, so he'll have a choice.

As far as average names to unique ones, I think unique ones are fine, all within reason. I don't like it when people have such admiration for a person (singer, footballer etc.) they name their child after them. I also don't like when people either intentionally, or unintentionally give their children a ridiculous name- Like Annette Curtain, Tim Burr, Paige Turner etc. - it's just unfortunate for the child involved really. Then lastly, there's the people who seem to try to name their child something really unusual just to be different, and just in my experience, a lot of people with those sort of names don't particularly like them.

Then there's the fact that his name comes from a video game (of all sources). He's going to know that growing up, all his family and relatives and neighbours will probably know it too. 

"Hey look, it's the video game kid! How do you pronounce his name again?"

There's not really anything to argue over, I think the name is poor, It's 'badass' in a video game maybe, not in real life. I would also question the motives of the parents involved. Considering they have another daughter called Kyari or something though, seems like they were into this sort of thing already.

JOKA_ said:
Slimebeast said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
Just WTF.

What kind of parents give their son a weird name so they can get free videogames? That says a lot about their parenting skills and how much they care about their son's future. If my parents did that to me I'd be fucking ashamed and I'd hate them.

LOL it's not because they got free games, dummy. It's because they won a contest, want to get attention and want to be original.

Those reasons aren't any better (unless thats what you were implying through sarcasm)

lol indeed they are not, but they are a big better to understand as it's apparent how many people there are who crave attention and want to be special.

@dallinor
lol really? what's so important for you that a name has to thought about 1000 years before giving it your child?

if i would ask my parents why the gave me the name and they would say “because we thought it sounds nice“ where the fuck is the problem with this? if the would say something like “as i was pregnant i read many books on my couch and in one fantasy book there was this beautiful name of the elf“ so what?

don't know which culture you come from but not every culture thinks the child has to be named after their god or phrophet or whatever.

did they customize his face before giving him birth ??

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
@dallinor
lol really? what's so important for you that a name has to thought about 1000 years before giving it your child?

if i would ask my parents why the gave me the name and they would say “because we thought it sounds nice“ where the fuck is the problem with this? if the would say something like “as i was pregnant i read many books on my couch and in one fantasy book there was this beautiful name of the elf“ so what?

don't know which culture you come from but not every culture thinks the child has to be named after their god or phrophet or whatever.

Re-read what I wrote. I said unique names are fine within reason.  Which is of course, just my opinion.

I mean sure, take your elf example. Legolas is a pretty cool sounding name right? But to name your child that? Hell no.

I made no mention of prophets or gods being used as names.

Dallinor said:
crissindahouse said:
@dallinor

Re-read what I wrote. I said unique names are fine within reason.  Which is of course, just my opinion.

I mean sure, take your elf example. Legolas is a pretty cool sounding name right? But to name your child that? Hell no.

I made no mention of prophets or gods being used as names.

see i don't think it's so terrible to name you child legolas if you think it sounds nice. sure it has to sound nice you can't call the kid "fat bastard" because they named some guy in a movie so. but i would bet with you that here in germany if the child would have the name legolas and if it's a name many think it sounds good than noone would bullying the child in school for the name. they would ask "did you get the name because of the movie" and if you reply with "yes my parents thought it sounds nice" then they would say "yeah i like the name as well and the movie was awesome" or "hmm i don't like this name so much". but they wouldn't all say "trololol a name out of a famous movie what for parents do you have" and punch him in the face for that.

for example many people named their children "kevin" after the movie "home alone". in germany the name of the movie was "kevin allein zuhaus". this name has a terrible reputation here but not because of the movie it has other reasons. before this movie noone in germany had this name so everyone knew the parents called the kid after the movie and fking noone cared about it. noone said in the school  "hey asshole your mommy and daddy gave you the name after a movie trololo." no, just nobody cared about why his name is so.

i know you made no mention of prophets or gods it was just an example because you said something like:

"parents have to think wisely how they call their child"

and i think that's shit. and here not many think the name has to have a special meaning for them. sure some call their child after the uncle of the neighbour of the old grandfather or somthing like jakob because it's a christian name but most use the name only because they think the name sounds nice.

my name for example (no not criss) arose of my brothers opinion. my parents thought about a name for me and after a while they had one because the found my brothers idea great. i'm happy with it and i have to say i think i'm happy that i don't got a name of my relatives. i don't like few people of them if i would have the name because of them i would be very pissed. my parents gave me the name because it sounded good for them. that's all and that's absolutely good so.

Seece said:
I'd think it cool if it wasn't such a crap name

THIS

unique names >>>> generic ones but that one just sounds awful for someone who doesn't live in a game

miz1q2w3e said:
Seece said:

THIS

unique names >>>> generic ones but that one just sounds awful for someone who doesn't live in a game

They should´ve named the child miz1q2w3e!

JGarret said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Seece said:

THIS

They should´ve named the child miz1q2w3e!

I wish I could change my username...