By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Parents named their Child 'Dovakhiin' - Dragonborn! (Born 11/11/11)

Tagged games:

Whadda'ya think?

Ouch... 24 54.55%

Awesome! 20 45.45%

Total:44
miz1q2w3e said:
JGarret said:
miz1q2w3e said:
Seece said:
I'd think it cool if it wasn't such a crap name

THIS

unique names >>>> generic ones but that one just sounds awful for someone who doesn't live in a game

They should´ve named the child miz1q2w3e!

I wish I could change my username...

Don´t sweat it, you´ve got a badass avatar and from what I´ve seen since 2009, a good poster.That makes up for the rest :)

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Dallinor said:
crissindahouse said:
@dallinor
lol really? what's so important for you that a name has to thought about 1000 years before giving it your child?

if i would ask my parents why the gave me the name and they would say “because we thought it sounds nice“ where the fuck is the problem with this? if the would say something like “as i was pregnant i read many books on my couch and in one fantasy book there was this beautiful name of the elf“ so what?

don't know which culture you come from but not every culture thinks the child has to be named after their god or phrophet or whatever.

Re-read what I wrote. I said unique names are fine within reason.  Which is of course, just my opinion.

I mean sure, take your elf example. Legolas is a pretty cool sounding name right? But to name your child that? Hell no.

I made no mention of prophets or gods being used as names.

see i don't think it's so terrible to name you child legolas if you think it sounds nice. sure it has to sound nice you can't call the kid "fat bastard" because they named some guy in a movie so. but i would bet with you that here in germany if the child would have the name legolas and if it's a name many think it sounds good than noone would bullying the child in school for the name. they would ask "did you get the name because of the movie" and if you reply with "yes my parents thought it sounds nice" then they would say "yeah i like the name as well and the movie was awesome" or "hmm i don't like this name so much". but they wouldn't all say "trololol a name out of a famous movie what for parents do you have" and punch him in the face for that.

<snip>

Just in regards to this, I have worked at a summer camp the last few years mainly dealing with kinds that are about 12 and they can be pretty cruel to each other.   Now I don't think unique names are a problem as some kids have had some I've never heard before.  But by giving a kid a name of someone directly from pop-culture you are tying that image onto him.  Legolas is seen (atleast in my group of friends/schools) as a cool fighter, but also as a small feminine male elf.  I wouldn't have wanted to walk around middle school with that image stuck to me. 

Hell, here is a personal example I just thought of:  My initals spell out "WEE" and kids used to make fun of me for it.  "OMG your initials speel out wee, like pee!"  and it happened on more than one occassion and it would piss me off.  I started not telling people my middle name so no one would find out.

This situation is like someone getting a tattoo.  I think getting a tattoo is fine if it has meaning to you, but if someone permanently puts a pop-culture reference on there skin at 20, they are going to probably regret that "I <3 Justin Beiber" tat on their shoulder when they are 50. 

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League