By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Microsoft won't launch their new console in 2012

Do you think "Xbox 1080" will launch in 2012?

Yes 71 30.87%

No 159 69.13%

Total:230

interesting everyone always only talks about the resolution and frame rate talking about the specs of consoles. it's not only the resolution you know? i wish to see much better ai/lightning and so on on better consoles.

i hope to see the next consoles in 2013 and then, knowing nintendo likes to make money with the console itself if it works and enough people buy it for that price and microsoft an sony sell consoles with a loss the first years (sure they won't lose so much like they did this gen) seeing a console 12 month later than the wii for maybe $100 more and still sold for a loss this could be a huge difference technically.

but to bad you cheap b.... ;) don't want to pay more for the next generation than you did this gen even with more money from your daddy or boss. no you wish to spedn less ahhh i could cry so much potential goes downwards with this thinking.

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:

interesting everyone always only talks about the resolution and frame rate talking about the specs of consoles. it's not only the resolution you know? i wish to see much better ai/lightning and so on on better consoles.

i hope to see the next consoles in 2013 and then, knowing nintendo likes to make money with the console itself if it works and enough people buy it for that price and microsoft an sony sell consoles with a loss the first years (sure they won't lose so much like they did this gen) seeing a console 12 month later than the wii for maybe $100 more and still sold for a loss this could be a huge difference technically.

but to bad you cheap b.... ;) don't want to pay more for the next generation than you did this gen even with more money from your daddy or boss. no you wish to spedn less ahhh i could cry so much potential goes downwards with this thinking.

1. All people are saying there is nothing technology-wise to stop the Wii U from getting PS4/720 ports next gen. Nothing. Yes, we will get bette Ai and lighting and etc. point is the games will be scalable across all the platforms.

2. What a lame last sentence. After what happened this gen, MS and Sony are not going to sink alot of money with console losses to please a small minority like yourself who are willing to pay a price that's way above market-friendly for a console. Especially for a generation  that is bound to be less about power than before.

Consoles are meant to be price-friendly for the market, if you're so determined to pay over $500 dollars for a gaming box get a PC because maybe you're gaming on the wrong platforms.

Don't worry, even M$ launching 1080 in 2012 or 2013 or maybe 2014, they having a LOT of money to clean up their own mistake. So... My advice for M$ fanboy, don't worry for every move M$ take

a few people in here have posted that MS and Sony can't release consoles that much more powerful than the Wii-U for fear that they'll lose third party cross platform titles.
That's complete nonsense.
The only thing that's going to limit the technical abilities of the PS4 and Xbox(insert # here) is cost. Both companies have a massive, entrenched fanbase and could care less how powerful the Wii U is going to be.
If they're able to squeeze in 20 times the performance of Nintendo's next offering and do so in a cost effective way, then that's exactly what they're going to do.
Besides, that argument is completely contradicted by the Wii's success this generation.
Developers ALWAYS want more power and more room to create what they envision. If both of those machines are significantly more capable than the Wii U, developers and gamers both will gravitate towards them. Developers for what they can achieve and gamers for what they can experience.
I think Nintendo and the Wii U are actually in a bad position. MS still has plenty of room, time, and opportunity to keep the 360 relevant for another year 1/2-two years. I don't see them launching anything by next christmas.

superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
@Superchunk

I'll reply more later, but for now, I'll just leave this here:

It seems you have a tendency to insult those who don't agree with you...nice

..[snip]

.. don't be such a baby.

[snip]

Now, I'm a baby? Keep the insults coming. I thought you were a cool poster, but now you're really starting to show your true colors.

Around the Network
Sevengen said:
a few people in here have posted that MS and Sony can't release consoles that much more powerful than the Wii-U for fear that they'll lose third party cross platform titles.
That's complete nonsense.
The only thing that's going to limit the technical abilities of the PS4 and Xbox(insert # here) is cost. Both companies have a massive, entrenched fanbase and could care less how powerful the Wii U is going to be.
If they're able to squeeze in 20 times the performance of Nintendo's next offering and do so in a cost effective way, then that's exactly what they're going to do.
Besides, that argument is completely contradicted by the Wii's success this generation.
Developers ALWAYS want more power and more room to create what they envision. If both of those machines are significantly more capable than the Wii U, developers and gamers both will gravitate towards them. Developers for what they can achieve and gamers for what they can experience.
I think Nintendo and the Wii U are actually in a bad position. MS still has plenty of room, time, and opportunity to keep the 360 relevant for another year 1/2-two years. I don't see them launching anything by next christmas.

No one said that.

Another poster said if PS4 and 720 would be so much more powerful than Wii U that Wii U would be unable to handle ports.

And I told him that there is nothing MS and Sony could put out that would make third party ports unscalable to Wii U's modern architecture and harware.

Also if you think PS4 and 70 will be 20 times more powerful than Wii U like your post suggest, you're dreaming.

Another thing, what most developers would want from this gen is for development costs  to not skyrocket even more. If they were so ectastic to use money to develop on the most powerful hardware they have, then multiplats would be made for PCs and ported to consoles instead of Vice versa. It's cheaper and easier to develop  on the least capable hardwares and up-port.

Most devs, outside of the big companies like EA and Ubisoft, don't want development costs to do what it did to so many smaller companies this gen.

One last thing about gamers gravitating to the most powerful console, that has never really been the case in console history. The most powerful console has never sold the most of it's generation. Gamers whose console decision rely on power above every thing else are the minority in console gaming. There are alot more important things that come into play.

Jay520 said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
@Superchunk

..[snip]

.. don't be such a baby.

[snip]

Now, I'm a baby? Keep the insults coming. I thought you were a cool poster, but now you're really starting to show your true colors.

I'm sorry Jay. My intention is not to insult anyone. I think you're taking it all a little to personal. Don't you're real life friends mess around with you and call each other names in a light hearted way? If not, then we clearly don't have similar circles.

HappySqurriel said:
crissindahouse said:

i think they will hope for more mature content from other developers  that's why the next xbox/ps4 have to have much better specs than wii u. if not wii u will get the same games as next xbox and ps4 which wouldn't be so good for them then with this lineup + nintendos great games. and maybe they will do a great horror game one time i don't think nintendo will make realistic racers/shooters but i really can think about a horror game from them don't know why.

... and what specs would those be?

Realistically, I wouldn't expect a significant enough difference between the Wii U and Sony or Microsoft's next generation consoles to prevent the Wii U from getting the bulk of third party multi-platform games.

The reason for this is quite simple, the games don't have to be equal in resolution, framerate, draw distance or detail to be released on both consoles. The average gamer would have difficulty telling the difference between a game playing at 720p@30fps and the same game playing at 1080p@60fps (even if there were minor graphical downgrades in detail and draw-distance to the 720p version) and yet the difference in processing power to produce the games at those performance levels is drastically different. For the vast majority of customers, if you had this difference in output resolutions and framerates the more powerful console could be 4 or 8 times as powerful and the perceived difference between the two systems would probably be smaller than the perceived difference between the PS2 and the Gamecube/Xbox; and if you consider that the Wii U is probably already at least 4 times as powerful as the HD consoles, Sony and Microsoft will not be able to release an affordable system that can outperform the Wii U by enough to prevent cross platform game development.

Completely agree.  :)

The recent interview with John Carmack points to this as well, where he said don't expect an exponential leap in graphics/performance for the next generation.  Even if the jump in tech is comparable to before, the results probably won't be as noticable without making a prohibitively expensive console.

This is why I see Nintendo in a great position.  Their performance this gen has the potential to put them in a great position next gen.  While Nintendo fans are looking to upgrade from the Wii (GC tech, 480 res), the 360 and PS3 fans may not be as anxious for a new Xbox or Playstation, particularly the people who just purchased their HD console in the last couple of years.

Bottom line, unless Microsoft and Sony make really expensive systems and/or are planning on launching much later than we think (2014+), I don't believe that the Wii U's performance will be dwarfed by the 1080/PS4 to the point of making cross-platform games impossible.

superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
@Superchunk

..[snip]

.. don't be such a baby.

[snip]

I'm sorry Jay. My intention is not to insult anyone. I think you're taking it all a little to personal. Don't you're real life friends mess around with you and call each other names in a light hearted way? If not, then we clearly don't have similar circles.

Real life friends? Are you trying to be ironic? That's it, I'm reporting you. I hope you get banned!

Dude, I was kidding the whole time. My original post about the "real gamer" thing was just supposed to connect to your delusional statement. I was then going to use that connection and tease you about how some of the stuff you say can be quite random and meaningless. Then, I was going to jokingly exaggerate and say that nothing you say is meaningless.

I thought you would have realised I was kidding when I obviously over-reacted to your "baby" comment, but I guess not. I think it's you that has no sense of humor, LOL

^^^

This forum has the weirdest people on the net. >_>