By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

S.T.A.G.E. said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
wait the nextbox is confirmed blu ray? Cooll

Nope. That's one of the parts I am using common sense. MS will definitely continue to push for media features and bluray is the logical choice.

lol if Microsoft uses Blu Ray after trying to help kill it tag teaming with HDVD, they need to make Sony a sandwich before they can join the club. >:)-

except Sony doesn't own all the Blu-ray rights.  Anyways, it would be foolish for Sony to deny anything; especially in their current financial situation.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
wait the nextbox is confirmed blu ray? Cooll

Nope. That's one of the parts I am using common sense. MS will definitely continue to push for media features and bluray is the logical choice.

lol if Microsoft uses Blu Ray after trying to help kill it tag teaming with HDVD, they need to make Sony a sandwich before they can join the club. >:)

MS doesn't really care which one won. They don't make movies. They only picked one that would cost them less to license. BR is the default mass storage HD media. It will be part of the next console, just as it is WiiU's media. (yes its a BR disc, simply a propriatary one)

JEMC said:

Actually, if you followed some teardowns, they talk about an extra chip on the MCM.

Anandtech wrote this:

"There are actually three components on this single package, made in at least two different microprocessor fabs. The multicore PowerPC based CPU is the smaller of the two larger chips. This die is made on IBM's 45nm SOI process. The RV7xx derived GPU is the biggest die on the package, and I'm presuming it was made on a 40nm process. I'm assuming the very tiny die in the corner is actually some off-chip memory."

Now the question is, what does that tiny die do?

While you're right, all signs point to this chip being used in the same format as it was in Wii. i.e. not as a dual cpu.

It doesn't mean Sony doesn't want a sandwich....

What's taking so long on the full Wii U specs? I would have broken 7 open with a hammer by now. Aren't there people waiting on standby to properly analyze everything or is the process just that lengthy?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

JEMC said:

Now the question is, what does that tiny die do?

Probably an SEEPROM (like on the Wii). This chip basically contains an array of memory, some of it is written at the factory, some of it can be erased and reprogrammed "on the fly". It is used for security measures.

(otoh, we haven't seen a picture of the rumoured ARM processor or the DSP chip yet)

Around the Network
Chark said:

What's taking so long on the full Wii U specs? I would have broken 7 open with a hammer by now. Aren't there people waiting on standby to properly analyze everything or is the process just that lengthy?

I don't know. I had hoped to have them by now too. Surprised proper realization of the CPU/GPU is still so unknown.

superchunk said:
Chark said:

I don't know. I had hoped to have them by now too. Surprised proper realization of the CPU/GPU is still so unknown.

The CPU and GPU are custom... so there is no software to read the spec from them, the guys needs know to put some plugs in the CPU/GPU and try to decode the instructions used... after that make a software to read theses infos.

Reverse engineering is a slow process.

superchunk said:
Chark said:

Nintendo probably customized it into some incomprehensible design. I bet under a microscope it is revealed to be made up of microscopic gameboys and at E3 Nintendo will reveal pokemon for home consoles!

ethomaz said:

The CPU and GPU are custom... so there is no software to read the spec from them, the guys needs know to put some plugs in the CPU/GPU and try to decode the instructions used... after that make a software to read theses infos.

Reverse engineering is a slow process.

Nobody is gong to reverse engineer the WiiU. I was hoping that someone would at least measure the clock rates, at best open the big chip carrier to see what really is inside the large chip carrier (to get the true die size of the edram/GPU chips). All those "WiiU teardowns" I've seen so far on youtube are amateurish at best.

Don't devs have access to the specs? Can't they just give us some breakdown?