By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U vs PS4 vs Xbox One FULL SPECS (January 24, 2014)

drkohler said:

Nobody is gong to reverse engineer the WiiU. I was hoping that someone would at least measure the clock rates, at best open the big chip carrier to see what really is inside the large chip carrier (to get the true die size of the edram/GPU chips). All those "WiiU teardowns" I've seen so far on youtube are amateurish at best.

Then you need to wait someone with the devkits and hope that the devkit shows this information.

Around the Network
drkohler said:
JEMC said:

Now the question is, what does that tiny die do?

Probably an SEEPROM (like on the Wii). This chip basically contains an array of memory, some of it is written at the factory, some of it can be erased and reprogrammed "on the fly". It is used for security measures.

(otoh, we haven't seen a picture of the rumoured ARM processor or the DSP chip yet)

yeah, at this point it's looking quite doubtful there is one.  Bummer, since a dedicated OS processor and DSP would have helped the CPU a lot since this seems to be the Wii U's achilles heel.

oni-link said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
wait the nextbox is confirmed blu ray? Cooll

Nope. That's one of the parts I am using common sense. MS will definitely continue to push for media features and bluray is the logical choice.

lol if Microsoft uses Blu Ray after trying to help kill it tag teaming with HDVD, they need to make Sony a sandwich before they can join the club. >:)-

except Sony doesn't own all the Blu-ray rights.  Anyways, it would be foolish for Sony to deny anything; especially in their current financial situation.

You're just trying to belittle Sony. I know Sony didnt make Blu Ray but they were one of the main members of the Blu Ray association. Microsoft all the way to 2011 has been talking down to Blu Ray sore  their efforts to kill it failed. If Microsoft wanted to send a message to the Blu Ray association and Sony they would've put HD-DVD in the 360 (instead of making it external and watching it die)and  rode out the sales of the Xbox 360 on HD-DVD drives until they achieved market level satisfaction so the non-gamers could've bought it without worrying about price. Sony won that format war and Microsoft will have to follow them just like they followed Sony into the gaming industry with the DVD player.

Microsoft last year was still talking down to Blu Ray saying that digital downloads are the future. Well of course they are, but everyones using them as well as as as secondary to the primary media format. This means the big three know the people are STILL not ready to switch over completely to digital downloads. On Live..yeah...you know about that so I wont go into that further. Anyway, Sony made them eat their words twice with Blu Ray, so again...they must make them a sandwich if they want to join.

superchunk said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
superchunk said:
Jay520 said:
wait the nextbox is confirmed blu ray? Cooll

Nope. That's one of the parts I am using common sense. MS will definitely continue to push for media features and bluray is the logical choice.

lol if Microsoft uses Blu Ray after trying to help kill it tag teaming with HDVD, they need to make Sony a sandwich before they can join the club. >:)

MS doesn't really care which one won. They don't make movies. They only picked one that would cost them less to license. BR is the default mass storage HD media. It will be part of the next console, just as it is WiiU's media. (yes its a BR disc, simply a propriatary one)

Of course Microsoft cares and it kills them inside that they couldnt help HD-DVD and Toshiba destroy Blu Ray. 

1000th! post

Around the Network

Need some next gen specs.

Gilgamesh said:

All three are there as far as we understand them now.

superchunk said:
Gilgamesh said:

All three are there as far as we understand them now.

Actually ignore that post, I thought I grabbed the 1000 post and failed to do so so I ninja edited quickly. BTW congrats on the success of this thread it's one of my favorite on going threads in VG Chartz, very interesting!

Gilgamesh said:

Actually ignore that post, I thought I grabbed the 1000 post and failed to do so so I ninja edited quickly. BTW congrats on the success of this thread it's one of my favorite on going threads in VG Chartz, very interesting!

lol yeah, when I saw it at 999 I came in quickly to grab the 1,000th post. Its my thread afterall. :)

Thanks, I can't wait to get final specs from others over the next few months so it can be finalized.

Don't know if there's anything knew here but this is supposely the latest rumors for the PS4 http://www.ps4home.net/the-latest-ps4-rumors-28112012/