By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe Xbox 360 Will Be The #1 Selling Current Gen Console WW in 2012 - Updated April PS3 Lead 842K

What do you believe in?

yes X-box will sell the most 89 22.82%

nope PS3 will get it 234 60.00%

idk it will be close 37 9.49%

Wii will win both 2011 and 12 30 7.69%

Total:390
Seece said:
spurgeonryan said:
All I know is what I see. The 360 has a problem when it comes to EMEAA and Japan. America alone will not make it the number one selling console next year. As long as the PS3 dominates sales in both of those other two territories, the 360's chances dwindle down to nothing.

No they don't, what a stupid thing to say. Japan is much much smaller than EMEAA and Americas, and is on par with UK. MS just needs to be competant in Europe to compete, dwindling down to nothing? no.

That said, without knowing what's happening next year it's far too close to call right now.

PS3 sells more in Americas than Xbox does in EMEAA!  as far as Japan goes... im not gonna say anything.

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
almost certainly.

360 and Kinect bundles will get substantial price cuts, PS3 wont and the Wii will die off dramatically.

You're a very interesting person... how do you know PS3 wont? you can see the future? u have some sort of magic? dont be silly.

I trust no one, not even myself.

FattyDingDong said:
kowenicki said:
almost certainly.

360 and Kinect bundles will get substantial price cuts, PS3 wont and the Wii will die off dramatically.

You're a very interesting person... how do you know PS3 wont? you can see the future? u have some sort of magic? dont be silly.

No, he just hopes it won't.  Of course, I think many, including myself, believe Sony will be selling the PS3 for $199 at some point in 2012.  Probably announced at Gamescom like the last 2 price cuts were.  And the holiday bundle this year was at $199, so its not much of a stretch for them to sell a PS3 by itself for $199.  As for Move, there's no way Sony won't drop the price of it in '12.  I would imagine at least a drop of $10-$15 for each controller, if not more.

XanderZane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BHR....read this..

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212831p1.html#disqus_thread

This is why the 360 will not outsell the PS3. If the PS3 had launched with the 360 without the years head start the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 by over 10 million consoles. You can see by the PS3's advances that they have Microsofts number worldwide.

The xbox 360 would have still outsold the PS3 for the first year and half because no would wanted to pay $600 for a PS3 the first 2 years it was on the market. The main reason for the PS3 advance was do to the price cut and release of the PS3 Slim. If Sony never did those two thing, it would have neven caught the Xbox 360. Keep the PS3 price aqt $600 and the XBox 360 at $400 for 6 straight years and tell me who would be ahead right now? lol!! One the price of the PS3 got to be reasonable, all the Japanese gamers finally decided to buy it. There are more PS3 fans in Europe & Japan then XBox 360 fans. That's really the difference in sales. These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. If America did to the PS3, what Japan does to the XBox 360, the PS3 would never win.

I hate to burst your bubble but year for year the PS3 outsold the 360 when looking at the sales for their respsective first years. They've had more growth every year for that matter. Subtract that extra year Microsoft had an Sony would be ahead by around 10 million consoles. Sony is only making up for the lost time....not the timing of sales.

Well it has a chance of being number 1 in 2011. I think you may be right. But I disagree on one point: I think Sony will drop PS3 by another $50 next year, i.e. it will have a $199 sku in 2012.

But that will probably be irrelevant as 360 eats up the USA. I get the impression that early Wii adopters are going to the 360 in their droves in the USA and Kinect is the reason why.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
XanderZane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BHR....read this..

This is why the 360 will not outsell the PS3. If the PS3 had launched with the 360 without the years head start the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 by over 10 million consoles. You can see by the PS3's advances that they have Microsofts number worldwide.

The xbox 360 would have still outsold the PS3 for the first year and half because no would wanted to pay $600 for a PS3 the first 2 years it was on the market. The main reason for the PS3 advance was do to the price cut and release of the PS3 Slim. If Sony never did those two thing, it would have neven caught the Xbox 360. Keep the PS3 price aqt $600 and the XBox 360 at $400 for 6 straight years and tell me who would be ahead right now? lol!! One the price of the PS3 got to be reasonable, all the Japanese gamers finally decided to buy it. There are more PS3 fans in Europe & Japan then XBox 360 fans. That's really the difference in sales. These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. If America did to the PS3, what Japan does to the XBox 360, the PS3 would never win.

I hate to burst your bubble but year for year the PS3 outsold the 360 when looking at the sales for their respsective first years. They've had more growth every year for that matter. Subtract that extra year Microsoft had an Sony would be ahead by around 10 million consoles. Sony is only making up for the lost time....not the timing of sales.

They had more growth after the 2nd year, not the first 2 years. Whatever the case, the PS3 had to play catch this whole generation, which isn't a good thing. It's not going to catch the Wii unless it stays on the market as long as the PS2 does. If the NextBox launches in 2012 all that growth won't even matter. The Next-Gen will have started and Sony will probably be playing catch up once again. Pretty much the same thing that happened with the Genesis and SNES.

'gaming till I'm gone'

Your prediction flies in the face of reason for a couple major reasons. Games, exclusive or otherwise, do not have any significant impact upon hardware sales in the long run and even if they did, the 360's lineup for 2012 is not exactly going to eclipse that of the PS3. Price has a far greater impact upon hardware sales and the PS3, having yet to reach the mass-adoption price of $200, has by far the most to gain from further price cuts. That being said, the 360 has a chance at selling the most hardware between the three current generation consoles for 2012 but it would require no permanent price cut for the PS3 and at least one significant issue for the PS3 a la the PSN outage.

binary solo said:
Well it has a chance of being number 1 in 2011. I think you may be right. But I disagree on one point: I think Sony will drop PS3 by another $50 next year, i.e. it will have a $199 sku in 2012.

But that will probably be irrelevant as 360 eats up the USA. I get the impression that early Wii adopters are going to the 360 in their droves in the USA and Kinect is the reason why.

I doubt they will do that immediately. Maybe at the end of the year, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will drop all their SKU $50 by early Spring. They should have done this 2 days ago. Not sure what the hell they are thinking,. They rely to much on retailers and 3rd Party to bail them out instead od doing the work themselves.

'gaming till I'm gone'

mundus6 said:
snakenobi said:
Nope not gonna happen

PS3 has too many exclusives,
PS3 will also have a price cut next year
PS3 is really strengthened its position in JAPAN and EMEAA this year

Though 360 could have a smaller gap than this year with
the price cut
and HALO4.
Also GTA 5 will give 360 some boost

Which exclusives? Sure the last guardian is gonna be great (if it even comes out next year) but it wont move consoles. 360 is gonna see similar sales to a COD week when Halo 4 comes. What makes you say PS3 is gonna have a price drop? It did this year, so i don't think it will the next year, but 360 definitely will. Also if PS3 would not have lowered its price, 360 would have outsold it this year, it still can actually, but its unlikely.

360 is not gonna outsell the 3DS i think though. But it most likely is gonna outsell the PS3 in 2012.

I don't really agree with his exclusives point but I do think the PS3 is getting another $50 price cut next year.

pezus said:
XanderZane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BHR....read this..

The xbox 360 would have still outsold the PS3 for the first year and half because no one would want to pay $600 for a PS3 for the first 2 years it was on the market. The main reason for the PS3 advance in sales was do to the price cut and release of the PS3 Slim. If Sony never did those two thing, it would have never caught the Xbox 360. Keep the PS3 price aqt $600 and the XBox 360 at $400 for 6 straight years and tell me who would be ahead right now? lol!! Once the price of the PS3 got to be reasonable, all the Japanese gamers finally decided to buy it. There are more PS3 fans in Europe & Japan then XBox 360 fans. That's really the difference in sales. These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. If America did the same to the PS3, what Japan does to the XBox 360, the PS3 would never win.

PS3 was never $600 in Europe and Japan though...It has always been way more expensive than the 360 there and yet it outsells it easily.

What are you basing this off: "These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. " ?

American systems? You mean only the Xbox? Europe and Japan have embraced lots and lots of American products if that's what you mean...

It didn't start outselling it until after the price cuts and the PS3 Slim was released. Until that happened the XBox 360 has a decent lead. I'm talking about American game consoles. Of course Europe and Japan love IPod and IPhones. lol!! They hate our cars though. Japan & China don't even want us shipping them into their country. Name an American created game console that have sold well in Japan & Europe besides the Xbox 360?

'gaming till I'm gone'