By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I Believe Xbox 360 Will Be The #1 Selling Current Gen Console WW in 2012 - Updated April PS3 Lead 842K

What do you believe in?

yes X-box will sell the most 89 22.82%

nope PS3 will get it 234 60.00%

idk it will be close 37 9.49%

Wii will win both 2011 and 12 30 7.69%

Total:390
XanderZane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BHR....read this..

This is why the 360 will not outsell the PS3. If the PS3 had launched with the 360 without the years head start the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 by over 10 million consoles. You can see by the PS3's advances that they have Microsofts number worldwide.

Once the price of the PS3 got to be reasonable, all the Japanese gamers finally decided to buy it. There are more PS3 fans in Europe & Japan then XBox 360 fans. That's really the difference in sales. These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. If America did the same to the PS3, what Japan does to the XBox 360, the PS3 would never win.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Japan weighs heavily in the PS3's favor, definitely, but the difference is so small that it only affects a miniscule amount of the overall gap.

As for EMEAA, the gap there is quite small also. Only 3-4 million units last time I checked. I'd say both brands are equal in potential. The small difference in this region mainly comes from the difference in offerings by MS & Sony. Bias or "Anti-American agenda" has very little existence here, considering the 360 has just as much potential as the PS3. It's just up to Microsoft to capture that potential. (They've said it themselves actually)

Actually I'd say America is where a large portion of the gap comes from. Last time I checked, the gap there for the PS3 & 360 was over 11 million in favor of the 360.

Also, I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that foreign countries rarely embrace American systems, considering the 360 is like the only serious American system ever made. Aside from Japan, I'd say those "foreign countries" have given the 360 as pretty fair chance.

Anyway, none of this matters anyway. Debating over 'why' these regions act the way they do is off-topic. The main purpose of this thread is to argue if & how much they will act.

Around the Network

PS3 will be on top (but not by much) next year because;
The Wii-U will make sure that the X360, PS3 and Wii will sell less then the last few years.
The Wii will be selling a bit better then the PS2 next year, The X360 will sell a max. of 75% of 2011 (Call of Duty 2012 will still give it a large boost) and the PS3 will sell around 90% of 2011.
The Wii-U will steal away lot's of people that are interested in Kinect.
Sony has moved a few big games to 2012 (Twisted Metal, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy XIV and Final Fantasy vs XIII?).
Does anyone know what big games are coming to the X360 next year?

reviniente said:
thismeintiel said:
reviniente said:
thismeintiel said:

I said some would be quite big, not ALL.  I expect Twisted Metal to be a decent launch, which should push a few extra sales of HW.  Nothing major, of course.  Sony still has some cards to show.  They have the drop to $199, which will most likely happen next year.  And regardless of what you think of certain exclusives, it's always better to have some releasing every couple months or so, as opposed to having few to none releasing.  It's one of the reasons Sony was able to gain a 1.5 million lead over the 360 before the holidays even hit this year.  As far as FFV13 goes, I have full confidence it will release next year.  At least I do after the announcement that the production team is finally all back and working on it full time, instead of helping other teams (who are obviously lacking) finish their projects.

That PS3 at $199 is really a leap of faith. Have you seen SON¥'s financials? They are in no position to make another price cut. Hell, they might not even need it. Being a PS3 fan is very different from being a SON¥ official; one thing is what you would like to do and quite another is, what you should do. From a corporate stand point, being solvent is far more important than trying to catch up to second place in sales. They have a responsability to procure their shareholders' interest, not their fanbase's ego.

We've heard these arguments time and time again when Sony has been in the red, yet Sony keeps cutting the price of the PS3.  They will continue to do it, still.  I'm not saying a $199 PS3 is a 100% definate next year, but I do think it is extremely likely they will do so.  Especially, to keep the momentum of the PS3 going, as well as compete against the Wii U til the PS4 launches.

Nevermind the Wii U; they still have to see how things will play out for the PSVita. Then we can start talking about pricecuts. I don't think SON¥ wants a repeat of the DS/PSP scenario with their new handheld.

Are you kidding me?  Sony would love to sell 70+ million units of the Vita, regardless of if Nintendo sells 140+ million units of the 3DS or not.  They just need to focus on selling more SW than they did on the PSP.  Both will bring in quite a bit of profit.

XanderZane said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BHR....read this..

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1212831p1.html#disqus_thread

This is why the 360 will not outsell the PS3. If the PS3 had launched with the 360 without the years head start the PS3 would be ahead of the 360 by over 10 million consoles. You can see by the PS3's advances that they have Microsofts number worldwide.

The xbox 360 would have still outsold the PS3 for the first year and half because no one would want to pay $600 for a PS3 for the first 2 years it was on the market. The main reason for the PS3 advance in sales was do to the price cut and release of the PS3 Slim. If Sony never did those two thing, it would have never caught the Xbox 360. Keep the PS3 price aqt $600 and the XBox 360 at $400 for 6 straight years and tell me who would be ahead right now? lol!! Once the price of the PS3 got to be reasonable, all the Japanese gamers finally decided to buy it. There are more PS3 fans in Europe & Japan then XBox 360 fans. That's really the difference in sales. These foreign country rarely embrace American systems. If America did the same to the PS3, what Japan does to the XBox 360, the PS3 would never win.

The MSX, a computer architecture developed and standardized by Microsoft, was the most popular gaming computer ever seen in Japan, selling more than 5 million units in that country alone. It also saw success in Brazil, Europe and the Middle East but yet, failed to make an impact in America ironically.

how much of a lead will the PS3 have going into november, thats the question isn't it,i remember just before the big sales of 2011 we didn't really know if MS were going to pricecut or bundle/deal their way through the holidays,

so when is the 360 pricecut coming,maybe it will be the reverse of end 2011 and people will be saying sony have to pricecut to win the year

right now and with the last couple of annual sales to go by,i'd say the PS3 will just nick it again, but of course if microsoft really back their baby it could take the year i think

Above & Beyond

Around the Network

xbox 360 and ps3 will both get a price cut this year. microsoft will probably cut first and then sony will drop another $50 off. ps3 will be the best selling console again i think. 360 wont be too far behind though. we know how well 360 sells during the holidays.

2012 ps3 360
jan 1046 796
feb 854 674
mar 974 660
april 664 566
total 2938 2096
  +842  

since seece is gone,  was post spamming a thread instead of creating a new one, b/c i was 1st to believe in this last fall, and b/c i was right about PS3 owning in 2011 originally predicted in 2010, i will be taking over this duty for all the ps and xbox fans to have a place to discuss there beliefs

Play Me