By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why are people trying to save HDDVD

redisrad said:
also i want to add that the people who say they hate sony and think bluray is like betamax. well its not. beta had support from mainly sony and vhs has all the movie support now this time arround hd dvd is supported by mainly toshiba where bluray has sony, samsung, sharp, panasonic, hitachi, philips and all other well known brnad names. also bluray has more movie studios supporting it

arrrr matey, the man makes a very good point!

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
The real question is:

Why the hell do people care about Blu-ray?

DVD is the best digital medium. When something goes digital, it doesn't get better.

High Definition doesn't make the picture quality better. It formats the image to fit your TV.

In English, it takes full screen, throws it out the window, and takes 16:9 ratio and formats that ratio to fit your TV screen while removing the black bars that you would have on a 4:3 ratio TV.

720p,1080i,1080p > 480p

KruzeS said:
And just look how DVD+-R(W) turned out.

i think that turned out fine i have dvd+r. but thats a different story. the dvd -/+ r had nothing to do with movies. we want movies on one formate. dvd -/+ r had the same space so it was hard to decide. bluray holds more room the hd dvd. sure you can say hd dvd has a 51gb but if you count that way then bluray has 54GB because each bluray layer really holds 27GB and they already have 100gb bluray disc being tested.

Resistance owns!!!!!111 one!

Snesboy said:
The real question is:

DVD is the best digital medium. When something goes digital, it doesn't get better.

High Definition doesn't make the picture quality better. It formats the image to fit your TV.

In English, it takes full screen, throws it out the window, and takes 16:9 ratio and formats that ratio to fit your TV screen while removing the black bars that you would have on a 4:3 ratio TV.

Clearly you haven't seen a Blu-ray/HD DVD movie then have you?

The image quality does increase, because now their is more resolution for the finner detail in the image. The HDtv with it's 1080p resolution is there to show all the detail that the movie has.

DVD+-R(W) ended up working out because DVD burners ended up accepting all different types of formats and now its a moot point.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:
The real question is:

1. bluray helps hold more space and will last long. the reason why everyone switched from vhs to dvd is beacuse dvd lasted longer because they would not get dusty like vhs also because dvd had better quality. dvd will turn bluray because bluray hold more space and has better picture quality. also bluray has a protective layer to protect it from scratches, if you want to see how durible it is search it up on youtube.

2.High defintion does make you picture better becuase there are more pixel on your screen which will make the picture look clearer. it like taking a picture from a webcam vs taking a picture with a 8 mp camera.

3. no the new videos are now being filmed at 16:9.  

Resistance owns!!!!!111 one!

Because they can.

bbsin said:
Snesboy said:
The real question is:

720p,1080i,1080p > 480p

People are going to go fucking blind staring at 70-inch TV's. 

LordTheNightKnight said:
KruzeS said: And just look how DVD+-R(W) turned out.

One HAD to go away, or else recordable DVDs could not have caught on.

Excuse me? I didn't get the memo where either - or + has lost that war. All players in the market today support reading both, all burners support recording both, both kinds of discs are still sold, sometimes even by the same brands, a lot of the time at the same price. The consumer is no longer confused. They buy the cheapest discs regardless of kind, it records on every burner, it plays on every player. It works, that's all that matters.

I'm for the same thing. Dual format players should win. If HD DVD is cheaper, it'll get some movies released. If Bluray has better bandwidth, it'll secure the movies that need it. Boxes are different in color but otherwise equal, quality is just about the same. There'd be no confusion to be had if dual format won, and that could definitely drive the prices of both players and content down, IMO.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
redisrad said:
also i want to add that the people who say they hate sony and think bluray is like betamax. well its not. beta had support from mainly sony and vhs has all the movie support now this time arround hd dvd is supported by mainly toshiba where bluray has sony, samsung, sharp, panasonic, hitachi, philips and all other well known brnad names. also bluray has more movie studios supporting it

While I understand your point, and it's a valid one, you have to remember that Sony has attempted far more media formats than just Blu-Ray and Betamax. Remember the mini-disc? Didn't work out so well. And let's not even talk about UMD movies, which were out before Blu-Ray. I know it's not 100% the same situation, but that's why people were doubting it.