By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Runa216 said:
Scoobes said:
My first entry:

50. Wii Sports (Wii)

What needs to be said? Introduced the world to motion controls and the Tennis and bowling are still some of the best party games I own.

Ewww.  not a lot of games I speak out against, but Wii Sports is a TECH DEMO, not a game.  

Call it what you will, it's still amazing. It was short listed for me as well.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Scoobes said:
My first entry:

50. Wii Sports (Wii)

What needs to be said? Introduced the world to motion controls and the Tennis and bowling are still some of the best party games I own.

Ewww.  not a lot of games I speak out against, but Wii Sports is a TECH DEMO, not a game.  

No, It's 5 tech demo's, plus a 15 mini-game compilation.

In terms of the amount of content it has, it beats out a lot of other games.

Runa216 said:
Scoobes said:
My first entry:

50. Wii Sports (Wii)

A tech demo that was the first of its kind and is still held up as one of the few games that truly made use of the Wii mote. It was innovative and a fantastic experience all round. For a tech demo it's bloody good.

that's just the thing, Wii sports DOESN'T work that well. The only thing that was particularly good was the bowling. Golf was ill-conceived, Boxing was a joke, Tennis was only the bare minimum, and I don't even remember what the last one was. None of them were deep, none of them were particularly well done. the only thing good about the 'game' was t he fact that the bowling part was given a good physics engine. I admit to liking the bowling.

Golf was...okay I guess.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I agree with Scoobes on this, regardless of how "game" it is, it's still a trend setter.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

Talking about great maps, every self respecting gamer should instantly recognize this one.

Too bad there was no room for it in my top 50. Maybe I should make some changes still...

Crap now the music is stuck in my head again.

Unfortunatly, my first generation of gaming was on the SNES and Genesis. NES and older games are unfamiliar to me.

Because it says Die Mortal, has trees and a dinosaur, I would guess Ninja Gaiden?

Also my 50th vote was Halo 2. Great co-op game, and a shooter with a plot, very rare now days.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Runa216 said:
that's just the thing, Wii sports DOESN'T work that well. The only thing that was particularly good was the bowling. Golf was ill-conceived, Boxing was a joke, Tennis was only the bare minimum, and I don't even remember what the last one was. None of them were deep, none of them were particularly well done. the only thing good about the 'game' was t he fact that the bowling part was given a good physics engine. I admit to liking the bowling.

Golf was...okay I guess.

Not sure what you mean by 'golf was inconcieved' ... though it could have done with at least 18 holes.

Boxing is actually my joint favourite along with Tennis... I think many people found boxing tricky in the early stages. I did too, up till about 800 skill points, I was still basically just flailing and sometimes it seemed like my Wii remote swings only worked half the time... However, I kept at it, and something clicked that I can't easily explain, but the boxing motion controls work really well. In fact apart from being difficult to get into at first, my only other gripe is that there could be some more difficult opponents after Matt the champion... I worked my way up to about 3050 skill points in the end.

My major problem with tennis is that there should have been a way of playing 1 on 1, without having to play as both players in a doubles match... otherwise Tennis did everything I would want from a tennis game. it's main pro-point is that the motion controls are the deepest of the 5. In tennis you obviously have back and forehand, and your timing of the swing determines the direction the ball will start to travel in. But once you get to grips with it you can perform low flying net shots or lobs and also put spin on the ball.

Yes bowling is great, though as said above not my fave... again due mainly to deep motion controls.

Baseball is the one you forgot, and perhaps it's because I am not American or Japanese but it was definetly the poorest of the sports, and my guess would be because the motion controls were the simplest. Batting was pretty much just a timing thing, I experimented a little but couldn't figure out if it was possible to do a less powerfulswing for example, and I am pretty sure you couldn't swing low or high (as far as I can tell anyway, perhaps... like I did with boxing... I need to play more to get a deeper understanding) Pitching did at least seem to allow you to control the force you put behind your throw a little, but most of the controls were done using buttons (hold b or a for different types of throw, and the d-pad let you aim slightly)

--------

I reckon the greatness of each sport depends quite a bit on how deep the motion controls are, generally Bowling and Tennis are the highest regarded of the 5, and that's because they allowed you to do so much.
Bowling:
 - The timing of your swing is important (matching it with the on screen Mii) let go late and the ball flies up in the air (though this is a good way of negating a lot of the spin you can put on the ball)
 - The point in your swing at which you let go of B (too early and the ball may go backwards)
 - The speed of the swing
 - The spin of the ball
(in addition to motion controls, the d-pad let you change the position and angle of the start of your throw)

Tennis:
 - Timing of the swing effects the initial direction of the ball, and timing of the serve can create a super-fast serve
 - Also of course swapping between back and forehand, with the occasional overhead smash with the guy at the net.
 - You could cause it to go really low over the net by dragging downward with your swing, and lob by dragging upwards.
 - Backspin and frontspin are also possible by rotating the wrist as you swing (just be careful not to put loads of frontspin on a low net shot, as it can hit the net)
 (no buttons were needed in tennis, though you could start your serve with A instead of throwing up if you wanted)

Boxing:
As I said earlier, I find it hard to explain the boxing controls, but somehow I am able to control the direction of the punches quite easily now (as well as mix up with body and head hits, and hooks)
And of course in addition to the punching you could dodge in any direction you wanted to (though forwards is usually a mistake)

Golf:
 - golf motion control is simpler than the above 3, the power of your in game swing could be controlled by either the height or power of your real swing.
I'll admit golf in Wii Sports Resort is a vast improvement.

RolStoppable said:
Scoobes said:

Unbias? My list is very bias Just you wait

It was a toss up between this and Pharoah... I actually flicked a coin to decide it, but hey.

My first ten entries won't feature any Nintendo game, even though my full list has more than 30 of them. That's how you make a great list.

Holy MOSES!!! Nintendo damn, just counted 30/50 of my games are on Nintendo platforms, most of which are exclusive.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
RolStoppable said:
Scoobes said:

It was a toss up between this and Pharoah... I actually flicked a coin to decide it, but hey.

My first ten entries won't feature any Nintendo game, even though my full list has more than 30 of them. That's how you make a great list.

Holy MOSES!!! Nintendo damn, just counted 30/50 of my games are on Nintendo platforms, most of which are exclusive.

I think Rol was actually talking about Nintendo published games (or developed? but that can be harder to prove).... I only have a measly 29 Nintendo published games in my 50, clearly I am biased against Nintendo.

TWRoO said:
Michael-5 said:
RolStoppable said:
Scoobes said:

I think Rol was actually talking about Nintendo published games (or developed? but that can be harder to prove).... I only have a measly 29 Nintendo published games in my 50, clearly I am biased against Nintendo.

Well 90% of the time, Nintendo exclusive IS Nintendo published. I was refering to games published by Nintendo, but of my 30 games, some of them aren't.