By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

Smeags said:

My two favorite action/adventures of this generation are coming up for #18 and #17... well that would be true, but Skyward Sword has taken that crown pretty easily thus far. Too bad it's a November release.

And Mario Kart will forever be srs business.

@Michael

Wario Stadium isn't my favorite course... but I have to admit that there's little out there that's better than hitting someone with a lightning bolt just as they're about to hit the jump.

Not to sound like a broken record, but that was the only way to crack that damn rubberband AI. The way the game seemed to designate a top CPU and a number 2 CPU, if you could get them out of the running in the first race, you could secure a more comfortable lead for yourself in the standings, since the designated winners would lose the first race, and have to recover subsequently.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

17. Burnout Paradise (PS3)

Before I got Burnout Paradise I had never thought that a racing game could be so addictive. I spent countless of hours just driving through Paradise City without doing any races/events. It was simply amazing and it is definitely my favourite racing game of all time.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Machina said:
SvennoJ said:

I loved the first 20 minutes. The atmosphere, the realistic oppressive setting, all the little graphical effects like dust floating in the air, Dr Breens speech on the monitors, the amazing facial animations, playing with the physics in the little playground. All things that I had never seen before. I guess HL2 suffers the curse that it has been copied so much that it's opening now feels standard fare.

It's coming up soon on my list, amazing glimpse into the future back in 2004. Resistance 3's campaign is practically a carbon copy of HL2's campaign structure.

My bad, I wasn't really specific enough. I think the start is great, what I hate is when you get to the sewers - the 20+ minutes in the sewers at the start of the game suck, so that probably makes it the last 30 minutes or so of the first hour.

I still liked the exploration and the realistic city setting (which was still quite refreshing at the time before CoD etc) but yes it was the slowest part of the game. And all those exploding barrels really weren't neccesary.

snfr said:

Before I got Burnout Paradise I had never thought that a racing game could be so addictive. I spent countless of hours just driving through Paradise City without doing any races/events. It was simply amazing and it is definitely my favourite racing game of all time.

Although I didn't really enjoy it as a Burnout game, the upto 8 player co-op challenges had me hooked for a long time. It should have been called Burnout: stundriver. Trying to nail the correct barrel roll in the airport with 8 people at the same time was hours of fun.

Too bad the actual racing suffered from trying to read the map at 200mph crash syndrome. I ended up with a few standard routes to get everywhere and simply beat the rest on speed getting there. I never saw the competition in half the races.

SvennoJ said:
snfr said:

Although I didn't really enjoy it as a Burnout game, the upto 8 player co-op challenges had me hooked for a long time. It should have been called Burnout: stundriver. Trying to nail the correct barrel roll in the airport with 8 people at the same time was hours of fun.

Too bad the actual racing suffered from trying to read the map at 200mph crash syndrome. I ended up with a few standard routes to get everywhere and simply beat the rest on speed getting there. I never saw the competition in half the races.

Well, that was really the only bad thing about the game IMO, but I still loved it.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network
Smeags said:

@Michael

Wario Stadium isn't my favorite course... but I have to admit that there's little out there that's better than hitting someone with a lightning bolt just as they're about to hit the jump.

That to me is probably the defining moment in Maio Kart for me. They have never repeated this type of track design and it's a shame. This always brought a shill in when playing local MP, people would even slow down last second to trick your friend screen watching.

Super Mario Kart also had the best ice tracks, but the penguin course on MK64 is probably the best 3D ice track.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Smeags said:

@Michael

That to me is probably the defining moment in Maio Kart for me. They have never repeated this type of track design and it's a shame. This always brought a shill in when playing local MP, people would even slow down last second to trick your friend screen watching.

Super Mario Kart also had the best ice tracks, but the penguin course on MK64 is probably the best 3D ice track.

And by that you mean what exactly? in terms of setting it in a stadium then the Waluigi Stadium from Double Dash is very similar. Wario Colosseum (probably my fave Wario track) is also a stadium but I guess as you drive on a metal grid the whole time rather than mud it's not really the same setting.
If you mean a track that crosses over itself and where you can lightning bolt someone in mid-air to cause them to return before the jump then there are many tracks that feature that mechanic (including Waluigi Stadium)

If you mean the silly mechanic of having to drive around the track again if you don't complete the jump, then no thank God that hasn't (I don't think)... and it especially shouldn't come back now that online multiplayer is becoming a big part of the game, because it won't take long before assholes come online with a guest who sits and waits with a lightning to piss everyone off.... at least with local multiplayer if your friend does it you can slap them round the head.

As for ice based tracks. I think Sherbet Land might actually be my fave (though I prefer the Wii version due to better controls, but the track design is the main thing I am talking about, which is similar between the two versions)

Close second is probably another Sherbet Land, from Double Dash. Followed by DK Snowboard Cross  (or DK Summit to the Americans) and then far behind is Frappe Snowland, which I found dull, though I did like navigating the penguin section. (once again it seems tracks you like are my least favoured... i'm gonna move this discussion to PM, as I would like to know your opinion on my ranking of various track settings (ie which Bowers castle is best etc)

#18: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
Release Date: November 19, 2006
Last Year: #18

When Miyamoto came out with that Master Sword... the video game world as we knew it had become something infinitely more awesome. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess had come into the world, and it was everything we always wanted. Fast forward two years later and we finally got to play Link's next adventure. What's there to say about it really? It's another stellar Zelda game with fantastic dungeons, a huge overworld ripe for exploration, awesome new tools for Link to use (double clawshots!), and a great story that once again had the wielders of the Triforce change the course of Hyrule forever (punctuated by twists and turns and all that jazz). The game introduced us to Midna, my favorite Zelda sidekick, as well as reintroduced us to everyone's favorite horse Epona (and horseback combat!). Some may say that Twilight Princess' reliance on Ocarina of Time allows for it to be overshadowed by the same game, but I see another amazing adventure, worthy to be mentioned with the other Zelda greats.

Favorite Temple: Arbiter's Grounds
The Final Ending Sequence: Still gives me goosebumps

#17: Okami (Wii)
Release Date: April 15, 2008
Last Year: #20

If you've happened to stumble upon my ramblings, then let's start off on a good note by listening to this. I love the Action/Adventure genre, and Okami is one of the many reasons why. No other genre in the world of video games has such an affect to bring out the adventurer in all of us. I knew Okami would be something else the moment I entered Shinshu Fields and started running around. Once Amaterasu gets to full speed, with the wood-brush style world in front of her and lush flora spawning behind her... well there's just something about it that I can't really put into words. Luckily the rest of the game was just as awe inspiring as those first moments... and Okami became an instant classic. Games like this one are rare, for Okami is just as fresh in my mind as the first day I played it... and I know that I'm a better gamer for playing this gem.

Favorite Boss: Nechku and Lechku
Simple Pleasure: Restoring Cherry Blossoms

#16: Banjo-Kazooie (Nintendo 64)
Release Date: May 31, 1998
Last Year: #17

I'm not really sure where to start with Banjo-Kazooie. I mean, the game is already great by the time you hit the title screen (thanks to the gang rocking out the Banjo theme)... and from there it only gets better. 3D did an interesting thing to many platformers during the 5th Generation: they added many elements of the Action/Adventure genre... creating a game with equal parts platforming and exploration, and Banjo-Kazooie is one of the finest examples of this Platformer/Adventure hybrid. Expansive and diverse worlds filled to the brim with content (which always encouraged exploration), an always expanding roster of moves for the bear/bird duo to take advantage of, witty dialogue and humor, and plenty of action that kept things refreshing made this game stand on its own despite the massive shadow that Super Mario 64 presented. Yep, Banjo-Kazooie was somethings special then... and it still is now.

Favorite World: Mad Monster Mansion
Favorite Transformation: Bee (Click Clock Wood)

TWRoO said:
Michael-5 said:
Smeags said:

@Michael

And by that you mean what exactly? in terms of setting it in a stadium then the Waluigi Stadium from Double Dash is very similar. Wario Colosseum (probably my fave Wario track) is also a stadium but I guess as you drive on a metal grid the whole time rather than mud it's not really the same setting.
If you mean a track that crosses over itself and where you can lightning bolt someone in mid-air to cause them to return before the jump then there are many tracks that feature that mechanic (including Waluigi Stadium)

If you mean the silly mechanic of having to drive around the track again if you don't complete the jump, then no thank God that hasn't (I don't think)... and it especially shouldn't come back now that online multiplayer is becoming a big part of the game, because it won't take long before assholes come online with a guest who sits and waits with a lightning to piss everyone off.... at least with local multiplayer if your friend does it you can slap them round the head.

As for ice based tracks. I think Sherbet Land might actually be my fave (though I prefer the Wii version due to better controls, but the track design is the main thing I am talking about, which is similar between the two versions)

Close second is probably another Sherbet Land, from Double Dash. Followed by DK Snowboard Cross  (or DK Summit to the Americans) and then far behind is Frappe Snowland, which I found dull, though I did like navigating the penguin section. (once again it seems tracks you like are my least favoured... i'm gonna move this discussion to PM, as I would like to know your opinion on my ranking of various track settings (ie which Bowers castle is best etc)

Bold. You didn't have to drive much, I think it added 30 seconds to your time, and it was fun landing on people.

I guess with online multiplayer, it makes sense not to bring this back, but hey, people won't be screen watching and timing their strike.

For Sherbert Land, I actually prefer the Vanilla Lake Courses on SNES, but only slightly. Another feature I miss about retro Mario Karts is destructable ice cubes you can bounce off. Sherbert Land for N64 is a close second though, I don't really like the side ramps in Wii and DD. Also The other Snow level in MK64 was awesome too (Frappe Snowland). The tunnel at the end traps green shells, and dodging snowmen is awesome. Seems I like both the course ou hate and love.

I replied to your PM. MK64 basically won every category you sent, with a few going to DD and SNES.

Looking into courses.... I think Mario Kart GP could have had some good ones. Only played that game once though, wish they ported it to GCN or Wii (or maybe made a Retro course from it's roster.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

#16 Super paper Mario played on Wii, released 2007

After playing The thousand year door I could not wait to get my hands on this, and it did not disappoint. Being able to switch to a 3D view for a limited time made for some interesting gameplay. The only downside was that the game looses some of its charm in the rough 3D view. The 2D visuals however are excellent.
The story and writing are great and quite funny, same as the characters. The gameplay is top notch and never gets boring. A lovely game that will hopefully get a follow up on WiiU. This seems a perfect fit to do some fun stuff between tv screen and WiiU controller.

List