By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

16. Kingdom Hearts II (PS2)

A excellent JRPG from start to finish. But I have to say it again: I don't like some Disney characters (like Mickey, Donald, etc.)

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

#16 Super paper Mario played on Wii, released 2007

After playing The thousand year door I could not wait to get my hands on this, and it did not disappoint. Being able to switch to a 3D view for a limited time made for some interesting gameplay. The only downside was that the game looses some of its charm in the rough 3D view. The 2D visuals however are excellent.
The story and writing are great and quite funny, same as the characters. The gameplay is top notch and never gets boring. A lovely game that will hopefully get a follow up on WiiU. This seems a perfect fit to do some fun stuff between tv screen and WiiU controller.

List

There's a unique perspective. Most fans of Paper Mario that i know absolutely hated Super (probably more for what it wasn't than for what it was). I took the opposite track, since i'm ambiguous towards the Mario RPGs i enjoyed Super better, though it didn't make my top 50

Sonic & Knuckles (though only when locked on to Sonic 3) is my number 16

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Ajescent said:

17: Pharoah PC

This for me is the best "city building" game ever made. Engrossing doesn't cover how good the game was.

I remember playing a demo of this game that came with Zeus: Master of Olympus. (Another city-building game developed by Impressions Games and published by Sierra.) Nice pick.

Now that I think about it, Master of Olympus should be on the list, and pretty high at that. (At least in the mid-30s) But bleh, I can't be arsed to tweak my post in the official thread right now.

I'm 4 games behind!!! Gotta catch up on my lunch break!

Signature goes here!

#19. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1, PSN)

I love everything about this game even the oh so bad voice overs. The game was vastly different from any other Castlevania game I had played before but it never felt out of place in the series (something I cannot say about Lords of Shadows however good that game was). The controls were tight, the enemies were varied, the boss fights were plenty, the music was incredible, Dracula's Castle was huge and just when you thought you had done it all you stumbled into the upside-down castle realizing you had really only crossed the half-way point.

The game featured a Metroid-style environment where you need certain powerups to proceed, yes that meant a lot of backtracking but I think it makes getting a new power much more interesting when you instantly think "I know where I can use this!".

Site note: Crissaegrim + 2 Rings of Varda = death to all who oppose you.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

#19. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1, PSN)

I love everything about this game even the oh so bad voice overs. The game was vastly different from any other Castlevania game I had played before but it never felt out of place in the series (something I cannot say about Lords of Shadows however good that game was). The controls were tight, the enemies were varied, the boss fights were plenty, the music was incredible, Dracula's Castle was huge and just when you thought you had done it all you stumbled into the upside-down castle realizing you had really only crossed the half-way point.

The game featured a Metroid-style environment where you need certain powerups to proceed, yes that meant a lot of backtracking but I think it makes getting a new power much more interesting when you instantly think "I know where I can use this!".

Site note: Crissaegrim + 2 Rings of Varda = death to all who oppose you.

It took me forever to get it (Schmoo farming sucks), but once I had the power... it was worth it.

Great game though. Riiiight outside my top 50.

#18. Star Fox 64 (N64, VC)

Another game with memorable voice overs (google "Do a barrel roll" to see what I mean!). The game closely resembles the original with interesting new ideas added into the mix. The all range mode levels were some of my favorites especially when you had to fight Star Wolf, the landmaster levels were a nice change of pace. I wasn't a big fan of the Blue Marine though (sorry Slippy you still suck).

The game was over pretty quick (if memory serves me right you could get to the end in less than an hour) but on each stage you could get a medal if you passed a certain number of hits (enemies killed), working to get those medals really added replay value to the game and it gave you additional options in the game multiplayer mode.

Signature goes here!

Mr Khan said:
SvennoJ said:

#16 Super paper Mario played on Wii, released 2007

After playing The thousand year door I could not wait to get my hands on this, and it did not disappoint. Being able to switch to a 3D view for a limited time made for some interesting gameplay. The only downside was that the game looses some of its charm in the rough 3D view. The 2D visuals however are excellent.
The story and writing are great and quite funny, same as the characters. The gameplay is top notch and never gets boring. A lovely game that will hopefully get a follow up on WiiU. This seems a perfect fit to do some fun stuff between tv screen and WiiU controller.

List

There's a unique perspective. Most fans of Paper Mario that i know absolutely hated Super (probably more for what it wasn't than for what it was). I took the opposite track, since i'm ambiguous towards the Mario RPGs i enjoyed Super better, though it didn't make my top 50

Sonic & Knuckles (though only when locked on to Sonic 3) is my number 16

They are 2 different games, both great imo. I never played the earlier paper mario games so wasn't shocked by the deviation of the formula. Both had tons of charm and great gameplay, Super just egdes ahead slightly on 1000 year door for me.

Change is good in this case, if it had had the exact same formula as 1000 year door I would probably have preferred the earlier one. However bringing out the next one on 3DS only is not so good. grr.

My dad pulled this out a bargin bin for 10 dollars at Toys R Us. Turned out to be my 16th best game ever... and I have played well over 400 games easy.

16 Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire

Brilliant game is brilliant. Nothing else to say. Best Pokemon game I've ever played (yet to play white/Black)

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?