By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

We could formulate a average top 50 list once everyone is done with their lists :)

And its great to see some people have snake on their top 50 lists! i remember playing it so much on my old nokia 3310 Can anyone remember their high score? ;)

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

#37. Blaster Master (NES, VC)

75% tank riding, 25% top down shooting, 100% fun, that's what Blaster Master is about. It's also about a boy stupid enough to brave a horde of enemies just to save his frog. Although, I'd be tempted to do the same if I stumbled unto a tank that can jump, shoot multi-colored bullets and homing missiles and calls down lighting from the sky.

As you progress through the game you tank gains more abilities allowing you to get from level to level. While this may sound simple, it really isn't. The game never tells you where to go and finding the door to the next part can be a very difficult task but I think it is part of why I enjoyed the game so much.

One last note to anyone who would like to try the game on Virtual Console. This game is hard, very hard. I've never finished it, I've gotten close but ran out of lives before the end. I do plan to get through it one day.

I got this game on Virtual Console and quit in the third level, I think. It was damn frustrating how enemies spawned nearly halfright/halfleft on the screen (instead of coming in from the edge of the screen) with little time to react. It just seemed like the only way to play this game was to take it superslowly or memorize everything because of this. It's just annoying when it looks like there's nothing threatening and then suddenly an enemy pops up.

The idea of the game isn't bad, but the execution is.

You get over the enemy spawning patterns eventually because I don't remember having to take my time all that much or maybe it's because I played the first levels many many times and did memorize some parts.

Signature goes here!

Shinobi-san said:
1) We could formulate a average top 50 list once everyone is done with their lists :)

2) And its great to see some people have snake on their top 50 lists! i remember playing it so much on my old nokia 3310 Can anyone remember their high score? ;)

1) I can't imagine someone being able to tally up all the votes after this thing is finished without suffering a nervous breakdown.

2) After many, many shed tears... 2497 points. And I didn't even have the highest score in my class. There was this insane motherfucker who got like 2700-something points without any crappy shenanigans. (Such as pausing every half a second to make the game run slower)

Korppi said:
Shinobi-san said:
1) We could formulate a average top 50 list once everyone is done with their lists :)

2) And its great to see some people have snake on their top 50 lists! i remember playing it so much on my old nokia 3310 Can anyone remember their high score? ;)

1) I can't imagine someone being able to tally up all the votes after this thing is finished without suffering a nervous breakdown.

2) After many, many shed tears... 2497 points. And I didn't even have the highest score in my class. There was this insane motherfucker who got like 2700-something points without any crappy shenanigans. (Such as pausing every half a second to make the game run slower)

1. Aah yeah it will take some time to do that, maybe i will do it when im hit with extreme boredom! It would be awesome to see what are the most favourite games amongst us vgcharters...

2. If only i could remember my high score :( i know i was top in my class, and i didnt meet anyone who had a higher score than me, thats not saying much though, as i was a rare breed of nerd back in the day haha :) im pretty sure i had a score in the 2000's im not sure if i was closer to 3000 or what. No crappy shenanigans to get my scores either. Its amazing though, i havnt been able to find the classic game on the android market or on the black berry market. Id really love to give it another go.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Come to think of it, I played quite a lot of Q'bert on my last phone. Didn't even consider it... not sure if it would get into my top 50 though.

Around the Network

36. Little King's Story - Wii (31 last year):

This is easily one of this gen's best new IPs.  I had no hype for this game prior to release, but reviews upon it's release in April 2009 meant I bought it and I've never for a second regretted it.  This is one of the most charming games I've ever played and I hope it's sequel lives up to it.

Korppi said:
Shinobi-san said:

I'm one of those....Obsessive-compulsive types, I accept your challenge! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

RolStoppable said:
Michael-5 said:
Mr Khan said:
Yoshi's Story at number 36

I won't update again until rather late tomorrow night, because i forgot to bring the list i had written up on a sheet of paper home with me for Thanksgiving. Indeed, it was very fortunate that i managed to remember numbers 39-36

I loved Yoshi Story. Black Yoshi was awesome. It's a shame Nintendo hasn't continued the Yoshi stand alone franchise (except for some crap DS launch titles). I played the hell out of this game as a kid, and it ranks just outside my top 50.

There's also Yoshi's Universal Gravitation on the GBA, if you can't stand having Mario in a Yoshi game. The cartridge has a built-in gyroscope or something to detect tilt and it's a central part of the gameplay. Depending on how you hold the GBA/DS, you can run on walls and Yoshi's jumping distance can change dramatically. It's not more than a 30° tilt to either side though, so the action isn't too crazy.

Kirby's Tilt'n'Tumble is a better handheld gyroscope game. It's for GBC, and basically you have to hold the GB level to play it. When you tilt the gameboy, Kirby rolls in that direction, and flicking it makes Kirby bounce (like a ball on a string). It was a really cool game, outside of my top 50, but Kirby games like this really are suited for Kirby.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Runa216 said:

Now we're getting to games I truly love!  Not to say I haven't been a fan of the previous games, but now we're getting to golden territory. Just wait till we get to the top 10!  pages of glowing praise abounds! 

38 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GCN) 

I still can't understand why there was so much controversy over the cellshaded graphics here.  the game's aesthetics were far and away better than basically anything else on the Gamecube (and would still be at home on the Wii), and it leant The Wind Waker a charm all its own.  Personally, I absolutely loved basically everything about this game, including the story, controls, gameplay, content, level design, and even the large amounts of sailing you had to do!  Nothing quite like kicking back and enjoying a moment as you go from one place to another, listening to the gorgeous score as a group of seagulls follow you.  Pure atmospheric goodness.  Aside from one part of the game I didn't care for (finding the Triforce Shards), I can't think of any one thing I  personally didn't enjoy.  This is my #3 zelda title.  

37 - Pokemon Black/White (DS)

If nothing else, the sheer amount of time I spent on Pokemon Black/White when I should have been playing other games (for review or just for fun) should be a testament to how much I love this series.  Furthermore, Black/White were, in my opinion, the pinnacle of the series thus far.  with something like 600 pokemon to collect, a massive world with TWO singleplayer campaigns, and all the trading and battling to be had...well, I can't imagine a much better time sink.  Hell, I probably spent more time just staring at Base-Stat charts on Bulbapedia than I do with most modern games, and that alone shows that Pokemon should earn the liftime achievement award of "Easiest to learn, toughest to master", because anyone can play it but there's just so damn much to it that even the most hardcore players will never master it.  I truly mean that, too.  Simple but deep. 

Only thing I liked about Wind Waker, was that sneaking level and facial expressions. It was still a fun game, but compared to the N64 Zelda's this was a joke. Difficulty was largely scaled down, and overall it felt like a kids game.

Pokemon Black/White was also a great game. I didn't include it on my list, but thinking back, I should have. I really wanted Front Mission 4 and Drakengard on my list though, didn't want it to be too generic. Maybe next year.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:
Only thing I liked about Wind Waker, was that sneaking level and facial expressions. It was still a fun game, but compared to the N64 Zelda's this was a joke. Difficulty was largely scaled down, and overall it felt like a kids game.

Pokemon Black/White was also a great game. I didn't include it on my list, but thinking back, I should have. I really wanted Front Mission 4 and Drakengard on my list though, didn't want it to be too generic. Maybe next year.

I have a confession:  I really disliked the N64 zeldas.  I've never even beaten Ocarina of Time (I'm working on it for the first time on the 3DS). I'm a rare supporter of the fact that the PS1/N64 era was by far the worst console generation and I'm sticking to that assessment.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android