By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Skyward Sword is easier than Ocarina Of Time

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/31847/skyward-sword-is-easier-than-ocarina-of-time-are-you-bothered/

So The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword is easier than Ocarina Of Time. That's according to ONM's Steve Hogarty - the man who wrote our Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword review.

He revealed this little fact when answering your questions about Skyward Sword. It's quite interesting because the early signs were that Skyward Sword was the hardest Zelda game yet.

It's understandable that people who have played the game would feel that way. After all, the tough Ghirahim battle was playable during the E3 demo and many believed that the added strategy of the Motion Plus swordplay would make the game more challenging. However, once you get used to the fact that you can't just hack away at enemies you might not find it that tricky to observe weak points and execute your attack.

That's not to say that there aren't tricky moments in the game - The Ghirahim battle, the Silent Realm and the final boss are all tough - and besides, you'll be playing it for at least 35 hours before you see the ending, more if you do the side-quests.

After playing the original Legend Of Zelda and Zelda II recently on 3DS, I can safely say that I'm quite glad that Skyward Sword isn't the hardest Zelda game ever! It would be a struggle if it was harder than the originals.

As for Ocarina Of Time, those who have recently finished it again for the second time on 3DS and beaten the Master Quest may find it hard to remember how tough it was at the time. I got stuck so many times on the original and playing it again now, it's easy to see why.

Take getting Epona, for example. In a modern game, you would be told to go and chat with Ingo for a second time after you'd trotted around Lon Lon Ranch on the horse. There is no way you'd be left on the horse's back wondering what to do next.

Also, I can't imagine a dungeon in a modern game would feature a giant hand that would pick you up and dump you right back at the start.

While we're on it, how about the hidden key that you need to find in the Shadow Temple when you need to bomb that patch of earth in the corner of the room? I remember that causing me great difficulties.

For me, a game does need to be challenging but it doesn't need to be really hard to be enjoyable. If you've read our Skyward Sword review, you'll know that you're getting a wonderful adventure that will keep you going for a very long time and that is good enough for me.

How about you? Would you prefer it if Skyward Sword was harder than Ocarina Of Time and Twilight Princess? How important to you is the difficulty level of a game?

Around the Network

It was obvious that SS would be much easier than Ocarina of Time because all new games are way easier and adapted to the modern casual gamer. Plus it has motion controls, all motion controlled games are much easier because the tech is less accurate and thus has to be more forgiving.

Easier tends to mean I get bored. Which means I get mad and hate the game.

Ocarina of Time was on the difficult side of the "perfect difficulty" area to me. If Skyward Sword is slightly easier, I definitely don't have a problem with that. I've never had a problem with the difficulty in any of the Zelda games. In fact, I've always felt they're perfectly difficult to me.

Zelda is the kind of game I want to feel seriously pressed,on the verge of death, but never actually dying. Outside of boss fights, where dying once or twice is fine. All the Zeldas have had roughly that difficulty to me.

Skyward Sword seems to stick to roughly that level of difficulty. So that seems lovely to me.

Lucky me.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network
Level1Death said:

Take getting Epona, for example. In a modern game, you would be told to go and chat with Ingo for a second time after you'd trotted around Lon Lon Ranch on the horse. There is no way you'd be left on the horse's back wondering what to do next. 

Also, I can't imagine a dungeon in a modern game would feature a giant hand that would pick you up and dump you right back at the start.

While we're on it, how about the hidden key that you need to find in the Shadow Temple when you need to bomb that patch of earth in the corner of the room? I remember that causing me great difficulties.

I think he means less frustrating = Good news to me! :D

I never found the difficulty in Zelda high nor frustrating. It was just right and challenging when it had to be, nothing cheap and nothing that was only accomplished via the use of external inputs (guides, etc.).

I'll judge SS difficulty when I'll play it

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I don't really care if it's easier that Ocarina of Time as long as it is fun and entertaining.

That's not to say that there aren't tricky moments in the game - The Ghirahim battle, the Silent Realm and the final boss are all tough - and besides, you'll be playing it for at least 35 hours before you see the ending, more if you do the side-quests.

So Ghirahim is not the final boss... interesting.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I didn't understand very well what he meant in that Ingo part. Does this mean we will get hints of what to do next or if we need to talk to someone? If so then it sucks!

Also I don't expect it to be as difficult as the Nes games, but I want to feel I'm really fighting powerful enemies, the fear that I'm about to die, that I need to fill my bottles etc. This didn't happened in Twilight Princess or Wind Waker and made the game kinda boring at times.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

i thought ocarina of time sometimes felt very frustrating, it had a lot of moments like "what the fuck am i supposed to do?" so i hope its a little easier, not too much easier though