By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - IGN - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception Review!!!

Tagged games:

padib said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
padib said:
Michael-5 said:

15 100% -39(most common score)

0 - 99% -1

2 98% -9

2 97% -3 - median

1 96% -9

7 95% - median -18

1 94% -2

3 93% -3

0 92% -3

0 91% -2

16 90% (most common score) -14

0 89% -1

3 80% -1

Basically those 80%'s hurt the game, and even though there are a lot of 100%'s, there are also a lot of 90%'s, and a good number of 95%. Score makes sense.

Compare this to uncharted 2 in bold. Keep in mind Uncharted 2 has twice as many reviews, so the number of x% should be double.

Uncharted 2 had a lot more scores at 100%, and the median is a full 2% higher. Ontop of that it only has 1 80% score

Guess Uncharted 2 made a bigger impact on gaming, where Uncharted 3 simply prefected Uncharted 2.

Those are interesting numbers Micheal-5. It's still a little early (the game hasn't come out yet), so let's wait until the game launches, when we've all played it, so we can more properly criticize IGN on its review. Nonetheless, it's clear to me that they state issues in the game yet fail to acknowledge them in the pointing scheme, whether due to a poorly made scheme, or due to bias. One way or another the score doesn't give a good representation of their review, and that's a bad thing. Between this and the Eurogamer one I prefer the Eurogamer one even if that one has its own issues. Other than that as you said GT seem to provide sensical numbers in line with their reviews.

Typically what happens is high reviews come in first, the other reviews come in and drop the metascore a bit. Uncharted 2 started life at 98% after all, and I've noticed this happening for many big franchise deputes like Gears of War, Forza, Halo, InFamous, Killzone, etc.

My arguement about UC3's score on IGN is that IGN has a stupid 20 point system now, and they are giving 10/10 out way too frequently/easily. Games are getting better, but we also expect more from games, scores should no be inflating like they have in the last 20 years, and IGN seems to be the worst.

As I showed you earlier, they really aren't.

You showed me past gens, IGN gave a lot of games score between 9.5-9.8/10. You only supported my claim of IGN giving 10/10's out far too easily this gen, didn't show me anything.

Their old system was superrior.

Just because you can't accept that a 10 does not mean it's a perfect game. Why do you never comment on sites that rate on a 5 point scale or on a 10 point scale?

This is a good point. It seems to me that the problem Micheal and I, as well as melbye and some others, are having is that, because we've (well at least I have) been following the news for many years now, our stigma is that when IGN gives a 10 that's a huge deal and it's usually 1 per generation, and a testament to a game that breaks the mold in all ways possible, and sets a standard within the generation and beyond. I guess at this point the word needs to be out that the scheme changed and that the score is rounded up by 5% on 100. When a game gets 100 on IGN now, it's to be taken with a grain of salt, not as heralded as it was before. Good or bad thing? It doesn't matter, but for sure ppl need to be aware of it otherwise it will just cause more controversy.

P.S Happy Halloween guys ;)

That's my point exactly. I wouldn't mind UC3 getting 10/10 if it was the only game this gen that got it, but IGN has gotten ridiculous these days.

As for not commenting on other sites that use a 5 or 10 point system. For the longest time I've trusted Gametrailers and IGN reviews. I don't care for metascore, I usually just trust IGN and GT, but IGN has started handing out high scores and 10s too frequently now days. This is why IGN specifically giving another 10/10 bothers me.

Nothing against UC3 itself, I brought up MP because that to me is a pretty major flaw to the experience, but it seems most people on this site like UC3, so I guess it can't be all that bad. Still, IGN can't give so many 10/10's, I've lost a lot of respect for them this gen.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
padib said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

That's my point exactly. I wouldn't mind UC3 getting 10/10 if it was the only game this gen that got it, but IGN has gotten ridiculous these days.

As for not commenting on other sites that use a 5 or 10 point system. For the longest time I've trusted Gametrailers and IGN reviews. I don't care for metascore, I usually just trust IGN and GT, but IGN has started handing out high scores and 10s too frequently now days. This is why IGN specifically giving another 10/10 bothers me.

Nothing against UC3 itself, I brought up MP because that to me is a pretty major flaw to the experience, but it seems most people on this site like UC3, so I guess it can't be all that bad. Still, IGN can't give so many 10/10's, I've lost a lot of respect for them this gen.

4 10's a gen is really not that much *anymore. I'm sure even Gamespot has given about as many 10's as that.

I fixed it. Guys, it's all relative. Whatever our preconscieved notion of a 100 on IGN's part, the fact of the matter is, that changed and so is our construct of what's too much, what's respectable, and all the rest. @Michael-5: You can't lose respect for IGN because of a scheme change. You can lose it for other things but when they change their scheme you just have to adapt that's all.

With the new scheme, all we can do is view IGN's scores in a different light. If you want the laser-precision IGN's score used to have, stick with GT.

IGN's 100s aren't what they used to be, and still it doesn't mean that Uncharted 3 wouldn't have gotten or deserved it. However, ppl going bananas over an IGN 100 score nowadays don't know what they're doing, and that's a fact.

And with that I think we went full circle. 

Well in general they are still respectable, but I always take their scores with a grain of salt now. Gametrailers has become my #1 source now.

100% is still what it used to be on GT. They have yet to give one out. VGC does a decent job too, if they started making review videos that would really cause expansion on this website.

pezus 4 10/10 scores in 3 years (MGS4 & GTAIV were 2008, Super Mario Galaxy was 2010, and UC3 now) is a lot when you look back and realize they only gave 2 10/10 before this (Zelda and Pokemon B/R) in 15 years as a website? HUGE CHANGE! That's 10x more 10/10's in the same timeframe.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

pezus said:
Michael-5 said:
padib said:
pezus said:
Michael-5 said:

4 10's a gen is really not that much *anymore. I'm sure even Gamespot has given about as many 10's as that.

I fixed it. Guys, it's all relative. Whatever our preconscieved notion of a 100 on IGN's part, the fact of the matter is, that changed and so is our construct of what's too much, what's respectable, and all the rest. @Michael-5: You can't lose respect for IGN because of a scheme change. You can lose it for other things but when they change their scheme you just have to adapt that's all.

With the new scheme, all we can do is view IGN's scores in a different light. If you want the laser-precision IGN's score used to have, stick with GT.

IGN's 100s aren't what they used to be, and still it doesn't mean that Uncharted 3 wouldn't have gotten or deserved it. However, ppl going bananas over an IGN 100 score nowadays don't know what they're doing, and that's a fact.

And with that I think we went full circle. 

Well in general they are still respectable, but I always take their scores with a grain of salt now. Gametrailers has become my #1 source now.

100% is still what it used to be on GT. They have yet to give one out. VGC does a decent job too, if they started making review videos that would really cause expansion on this website.

pezus 4 10/10 scores in 3 years (MGS4 & GTAIV were 2008, Super Mario Galaxy was 2010, and UC3 now) is a lot when you look back and realize they only gave 2 10/10 before this (Zelda and Pokemon B/R) in 15 years as a website? HUGE CHANGE! That's 10x more 10/10's in the same timeframe.

I'm sorry, what? http://www.ign.com/index/reviews.html
I count 29 10's

Edit: Click the 'IGN Rating' button on top to see all the tens

Yup, shit, they gave a lot of 10/10's to gameboy games. I was wrong here.

However before this gen, they only gave 2 10/10's to console games. Zelda and Soul Calibur. So for console games, thats still a rise of 10x as many 10/10s for the given timeframe now compared to before.

What funny is MGS for GBC got 10/10, but MGS 1-3 didn't. Man IGN......have they always just been this bad?