By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Steve Jobs To Obama: You're A One-Term President

v

Around the Network
megaman79 said:
Blaming Unions in 2011? Yeah, all those pesky health and safety laws, environmental protections and retirement benefits sure put Apple out of business Mr Jobs.

Im glad people like him are dead, were moving past that whole "corporates are always right, even when they're fucking you in the ass" stage of human evolution.

Yeah, and we're moving right into that "Lets empower the government to run every facet of our lives, because corporations are evil" phase. You know, the one Pol Pot, Mao and Lenin loved to run.

Maybe its just me, but Steve Jobs knows a little bit more about running a company that betters the lives of people than some do. But I must ask: What business do you run that gives you a wonderful view of why corporations are evil?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
megaman79 said:
Blaming Unions in 2011? Yeah, all those pesky health and safety laws, environmental protections and retirement benefits sure put Apple out of business Mr Jobs.

Im glad people like him are dead, were moving past that whole "corporates are always right, even when they're fucking you in the ass" stage of human evolution.

Yeah, and we're moving right into that "Lets empower the government to run every facet of our lives, because corporations are evil" phase. You know, the one Pol Pot, Mao and Lenin loved to run.

Maybe its just me, but Steve Jobs knows a little bit more about running a company that betters the lives of people than some do. But I must ask: What business do you run that gives you a wonderful view of why corporations are evil?

The thing that bothers me the most about the "Corporations are evil" meme is that corporations are (really) only what we make them into ... As a consumer, investor, and employee we actually have a significant influence on how corporations act and if we make purchasing decisions, choose investments, or take on jobs with corporations that act against our values we will continue to have corporations that act against our values.

Consider banks ... While people (typically) have options to choose less "evil" banks or credit unions, they will often piss and moan about how "evil" they are while keeping their money in a big bank and investing in bank stocks (often not knowing due to mutual funds and/or pensions) because of some arbitrary reason (often because the couple of hours to switch banks or to know what you're invested in is too much work for them).

i kind of agree about the teachers unions, but actually the main reason education has gone done the tube is because of federal government intervention. As far as the jobs going to China, they are gonna go there anyways unless you want to actually compete with China in wages, workers rights, and environmental restrictions. Good luck with that.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

chocoloco said:
Once again Canadians prove they care about America more than their own country, I feel so special.

My vote goes non-Republican as always.

You should never vote on a President based on party. Not all democrats are the same, and not all Republicans are the same.

You should look into all candidates and choose who you think would be the best Republican, and vote in the primaries. Even if you vote for Obama in the overall election, you atleast want to participate in making sure his competitor is as good as possible, in case Obama loses. Whoever you decide is up to you, of course.

The Republican line differs on so many things, particularly Ron Paul. Remember, Ron Paul is only a Republican because of the system, he ran for the Libertarian party in the 80s, he's gone for Republican in this election as that is what the system says is best for him.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
megaman79 said:

Actually, I don't like this argument, because you're suggesting that only governments with ill-intentions are worse than corporations. I know this isn't your view, but that's what this argument sets up for.

SamuelRSmith said:
mrstickball said:
megaman79 said:

Actually, I don't like this argument, because you're suggesting that only governments with ill-intentions are worse than corporations. I know this isn't your view, but that's what this argument sets up for.

The issue is that only one side of the coin can dictate market practices. The other in and of itself cannot. That is why governments are intrinsicly ill-intentioned. The only corporations that have been worse are the ones that utilize lobbying and government-backed monopolies to force their product or services on people who have no other choice. One can look at the government monopolies of the US Postal Service, the public education system, and our federal health care system and know that their egregious violations are much worse than corporate comparables - beacause no matter how poorly they manage a business, or render a service to a person, they will continue to exist.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.