By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 overtake 360 in other's overall sales?

Currently it looks like the PS3 will pass the 360 by the end of this year. Of course that's assuming sales from January onwards remain similar to sales in November, and that the 360 doesn't get a price cut any time soon.

Remember, the PS3 only started selling significantly more after its second major price cut. Before that there were a few months of the 360 selling far better, before which there were several months of nearly identical sales. A 50 euro price cut would probably put the consoles on an even footing for a while, and a 100 one would definitely give the 360 enough boost to have a larger install base in Europe by the end of the year, but it remains to be seen if MS wants us that badly.

Around the Network
RCTjunkie said:
hunter_alien said:
ssj12 said:
Xeo_842 said:
By the end of Q3 2008.

i second this

Third it ( is that even correct ? ) .

Yes, it's correct. I fourth this.

i will fifth it then  

i say around Q3 or Q4 of the year(not fiscal year)

end 2008 - begin 2009.

MS will jump in when things are getting a little bit nasty (pricecuts,bundles etc).

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

May or June this year. Whichever is fine by me.

Around the Network

May 2008.

kamil said:
May 2008.

I'd really like to see a quick breakdown of the numbers because that doesn't even look possible.  Even the Wii might not outsell the 360 by 1.61 million through may.  PS3 would have to outsell 360 every week from now until the end of may by 75k, that's simiply not possible, no way PS3 even sells 75k per week not even considering 360 sales.  Why do we have so many predictions like this.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

actually, even if every week from now on was the same as this week PS3 would not outsell 360 by the end of May, that's how ridiculous that prediction is.

By the end of summer.
Anyway after GTA4, MGS4, GT5 releases.

IF ps3 will still outsell x360 in others by 80k on average, then it will take around 20 weeks. So it`s may 2008.
IF by 60k, then 26-28 weeks. Or somewhere in summer. =)

@johnsobas:
so you STILL think, that WB move had NO effect? hehe. =))
And you expect, GTA4, UT3, MGS4, GT5P also not making effect?
PS3 is BEST HD console. Why it shouldn`t outsell x360? =)))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

do you even realize what sales look like in feb-june? PS3 will be fortunate to average 50-60k per week, and that's if the previous price drop has a long term effect. 50-60k per week is very good sales and is a significant increase from what they sold last year during the slower parts of the year, but far from the amount they would need to pass 360.