By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm new to Final Fantasy, where do I start?

Carl2291 said:
PullusPardus said:

I started Final Fantasy with Final Fantasy 1 and played every single final fantasy, and yet you say true fans start with VII? what kinda of mentality is this? i am personally offended by this bullshit.

Hey, don't hate on me just because you're not a real FF fan :/

i'm such a huge FF fan that if i stare at my Fan , and say FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF,  it will sound like the Chrystal Theme 

Around the Network

Also, what exactly makes FF13 inferior compared to the other FF games?

Jay520 said:
For all of my time as an internet lurker, I've seen an incalculable amount of praise for this series. Many even going as far as claiming it to be the greatest gaming series of all time. Although the latest iterations haven't been quite as well-received, the Final Fantasy still holds much significance to a large amount of gamers.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't had the pleasure to experience this series other than a few box-arts & images. The reason being my ignorance prior to this generation (I didn't play Zelda until earlier this year!), when the series was allegedly at it's peak, and my phobia of JRPGs. But now, I've learned more about gaming, about Final Fantasy, & I've just recently killed my fear of JRPGs (reading a gamespot review of FFX convinced me quite a bit), and I'm ready to experience what many claim to be the greatest game series of all time.

So, where should I start? & what games are the best? & how fun is turn-based combat (it seems boring to me, but I'll get used to it)

A list of your favorite FF games would be nice.

Bro, dont listen to these Final Fantasy virgins.Ill tell you where to start.Ok, each game has a different story to them meaning there really not the same.All of the Final Fantasy games have different storys so they dont like overlap.None of the games are connected.

If you want to start off the best game to start off with is no doubt Final Fantasy X!!!!!!!Final Fantasy X(10) hands down has the best Story/Plot in the history of Final Fantasy.So if I were you I would play Final Fantasy X then play the Classics like 6&7.I suggest wait for the HD remastered version of FFX.Im going to buy both versions the Vita and PS3 I want to see how it plays on handhelds.

PS:Final Fantasy XIII sucks

RolStoppable said:
I find the series vastly overrated, just like Dragon Quest. Both of these JRPG juggernauts are usually filled with stuff that only serves to annoy the player. There are many smaller series that are much more fun to play, but anyway. A quick overview:

FF I - It's actually quite good, probably because it is so basic instead of a convoluted mess like many of the following titles are. You can get lost or don't know where to go at all though and it gets repetitive, because the whole game is pretty much only fighting monsters, buying better equipment, rinse and repeat.

FF II - The level up system in this game is broken beyond belief. It's recommended that you attack your own party members. Don't bother with this one.

FF III - A game with insane difficulty spikes. The whole thing seems unpolished, the in this game introduced job system is the opposite of motivating. When this game isn't frustrating, it's boring. Skip it.

FF IV - One of the better ones, more focused on story than the previous three games. This one might actually be a good start, because it's not overwhelming with choices as your party is predetermined for most of the game. The boss fights might piss you off though, because they often require one specific strategy and anything else won't work.

FF V - This one brings the job system back, but in an improved form. You can combine the skills of a pair of jobs which is at least something. Worth looking into.

FF VI - Way overrated, it really isn't much better than IV, if at all. The game offers more than a dozen characters, but aside from their special skill, they can all be built identical. Still though, any of the three SNES games is worth playing.

FF VII - Pretty much the same as VI, but this time characters differ only in their limit moves. Since those can only be activated rarely, the characters are even more alike. You could call it a casualized version of Final Fantasy, because the active party size has been reduced to three which makes battles easier to manage.

FF VIII - The modern Final Fantasy II. Level up system, magic, guardian forces, everything broken beyond belief. Stay away.

FF IX - A return to a more classic setup, now with four active party members again. Instead of a job system, all characters are put in distinct classes from the start. This gives everyone more personality than in the previous four games, because it's not just story stuff that differentiates the party members. If the loading times weren't so awful, this would be hands down the best Final Fantasy. As it is, it is just the best Final Fantasy.

FF X - Introduces a new level up system. I can't say that I liked it, but it at least works unlike the experiments from II and VIII. If you are more the guy who wants nice graphics, then start with this one.

FF X-2 - I liked this one much better than X, but in hindsight the entire story is an annoyance. The gameplay rocks though and the job system known from III and V is actually well integrated for a change.

FF XI - MMORPG. Nobody gives a damn.

FF XII - It explains to you that you need to push the left analog stick to move your character. I guess it's worth a look if you think of yourself as an idiot.

FF XIII - Like XI, I haven't played this one yet. But since it's such a recent one, you've read enough about it already anyway.

You're Ovverated.

Every Final Fantasy game was great except for a certain few.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Jay520 said:

character suck so bad , story sucks so bad , combat sucks so bad , corridors cutscene corridors cutscene corridors cutscene .

HELL

NO!

Around the Network

No don't let the FFXIII hate get to you. I think it's a great first choice. The characters and the story are exactly as cheesy as all previous FF so whatever people say is wrong. You have to try the combat system yourself to be able to judge it. Some will like it and some won't. Just try it.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Jay520 said:

character suck so bad , story sucks so bad , combat sucks so bad , corridors cutscene corridors cutscene corridors cutscene .

start with ff vii , for me its the one that have the best story, characters , villains and combat

ITS EPIC

I just had to quote this, because it is absolutely true. Why anybody would recommend XIII in this thread, particularly to start with, is beyond me, unless you know, you really want the OP to run for the hills and never look back.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Jay520 said:

start with ff vii , for me its the one that have the best story, characters , villains and combat

ITS EPIC

I just had to quote this, because it is absolutely true. Why anybody would recommend XIII in this thread, particularly to start with, is beyond me, unless you know, you really want the OP to run for the hills and never look back.

hmmm.. some people like it, some hate it. I may just skip the game.

Boutros said:
No don't let the FFXIII hate get to you. I think it's a great first choice. The characters and the story are exactly as cheesy as all previous FF so whatever people say is wrong. You have to try the combat system yourself to be able to judge it. Some will like it and some won't. Just try it.

OP, whatever you do, never listen to Boutros suggestions on ANY game, EVER.

i'm talking about experience here.... -_-;

This is what I think about the main games in the series:

FFI - Good game. I've seen the PSP version for $10 at Best Buy, and I definitely recommend it for that price.

FFII - Sucks ass. Skip it.

FFIII - Also sucks ass. Skip it.

FFIV - A classic RPG. One of the best ones in the series; I recommend the PSP version since it has all the FFIV games.

FFV - Solid gameplay, but average story. This game has one of the best job systems in the series, and I'd also recommend trying it out.

FFVI - Like IV, it's one of the best ones in the series. I particularly like how each character got their own screen time and side missions which fleshed out their character.

FFVII - It's good, but way overrated by the fanbase. The best thing about the game is that it has a lot of variety and optional content: snowboarding, chocobo racing, a RTS mini-game, Golden Saucer, etc.

FFVIII - Excluding the soundtrack, everything in this game is terrible. Avoid it.

FFIX - One of the best ones in the series. Beautiful world & artstyle, great story and it has Vivi!

FFX - Way overrated. Just watch the cutscenes on youtube. The gameplay sucks, and the encounter rate is so high that you get sucked into a battle after taking three steps. The sphere grid /level up gets a lot of praise for some reason, but it's actually a waste of time since the sphere grid is linear for like 75% of the game. They should just stayed with an ordinary level up system.

FFXII - This game gets a lot of hate, but to me, it's one of the best games in the series. Hell, it's one of the best RPGS I've played. Many people hate it because it's different than the others in the series, but this game needed to be made. This is a breath of fresh air and something that the stagant JRPG genre needed. Adjust the battle system to active and raise the battle speed, and it becomes incredibly fun (well for me at least). This game also has a lot of optional content and exploration.

FFXIII - Even though the game gets a lot of hate, I think it's pretty good. The combat is pretty fun. The bad part about the game is that there isn't much to do outside of battles.

To sum it up, start with either IX, VI, IV or XII.