By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm new to Final Fantasy, where do I start?

9, 10, lost odyssey. youre welcome.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Jay520 said:
themanwithnoname said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Jay520 said:
Also, what exactly makes FF13 inferior compared to the other FF games?

character suck so bad , story sucks so bad , combat sucks so bad , corridors cutscene corridors cutscene corridors cutscene .

start with ff vii , for me its the one that have the best story, characters , villains and combat

ITS EPIC

I just had to quote this, because it is absolutely true. Why anybody would recommend XIII in this thread, particularly to start with, is beyond me, unless you know, you really want the OP to run for the hills and never look back.

hmmm.. some people like it, some hate it. I may just skip the game.

Don't. Like I said you can't really listen to others. For example I thought XIII had the best character set in the series but that guy thinks they suck.

It's only 20ish dollars now anyways.

Also VII is good but its so fucking over rated.

I think the characters are a mixed bag, I liked a few and disliked a few. My main complaint is the level design, which is nothing but corridors for at least the first 30 hours. If you don't love the battle system, then the game falls apart unless you really, really enjoy the story. At least other games do a fairly decent job at hiding their linearity, but if you keep gazing at the minimap while you play, it becomes painfully obvious that the level design is solely linear corridors for a majority of the game, and there are no towns to break up the monotonous rinse and repeat gameplay of run forward, battle, run forward, battle, run forward, cut scene. This game would be great to look at if one were leading a seminar on bad game design.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Boutros said:
Jay520 said:
PullusPardus said:
Boutros said:
No don't let the FFXIII hate get to you. I think it's a great first choice. The characters and the story are exactly as cheesy as all previous FF so whatever people say is wrong. You have to try the combat system yourself to be able to judge it. Some will like it and some won't. Just try it.

OP, whatever you do, never listen to Boutros suggestions on ANY game, EVER.

i'm talking about experience here.... -_-;

I'll never forget your advice.

-_-

FFXIII does sit at 83 on metacritic. I mean it's not like 83 is bad! And it's not like I'm the only one liking it!

Just give it a shot godammit!

I already made a promise to Pullus. He makes a strong case.

Don't ask Final Fantasy fans to tell you which one is the best or which one you should start with, it's pointless and you'll just waste your time. Do the research yourself. Go to Youtube and watch a segment of a walk-through or a trailer. Stay away from asking this demented fan base.

Jay520 said:
Boutros said:
Jay520 said:
PullusPardus said:
Boutros said:
No don't let the FFXIII hate get to you. I think it's a great first choice. The characters and the story are exactly as cheesy as all previous FF so whatever people say is wrong. You have to try the combat system yourself to be able to judge it. Some will like it and some won't. Just try it.

OP, whatever you do, never listen to Boutros suggestions on ANY game, EVER.

i'm talking about experience here.... -_-;

I'll never forget your advice.

-_-

FFXIII does sit at 83 on metacritic. I mean it's not like 83 is bad! And it's not like I'm the only one liking it!

Just give it a shot godammit!

I already made a promise to Pullus. He makes a strong case.

No he does not -_-

Don't listen to my movie suggestions though! lawl lawl

Around the Network
Level1Death said:
Don't ask Final Fantasy fans to tell you which one is the best or which one you should start with, it's pointless and you'll just waste your time. Do the research yourself. Go to Youtube and watch a segment of a walk-through or a trailer. Stay away from asking this demented fan base.

Agreed.

That's why you should go with FFXIII.

Level1Death said:

Sounds like work... I'll pass. I'd reather pick users who have similar tastes and blindly do as they command

My suggestion is to play:

FF6, FF9 and then FF7. in that order. those are the top tier games in the series. i would consider FF4, FF10, and FF5 to be tier 2. and FF8, FF13, FF1, FF2 to be tier 3. you can always go back and play the ones that are less popular, but if you dont play those 3 first, i think you would be missing out.

the main reason to play these games is for their story and characters. FF1, 2 and 3 being so old dont really do much in those respects. the gameplay is actully quite hard as well requiring some serious level grinding for very little reward. no reason to care, the characters dont have names, arnt relevant to the story in FF1, FF3 remake is not good. FF2 has the best story out of the 3, but its not worth playing through if its your first one.

FF8 is really not a good place to start. maybe some people like the "innovate" story, but the juction system is way too deep for newcomers. a lot of people got pissed with the junction system. its not a good place to start purely for this. FF13 is considered the worst game in the series by many fans and many reviewers. my opinion is avoid this game, its really not the right place to start.

FF4 and 5 are really good games, they might be worth playing through at somepoint. but for the extraordinary FF experience its not quite the right place to start. the games require some serious grinding here and there. FF10, might be worth starting here. but the remake is coming out next year, so i would wait for that. and this isnt really the right place to start because the other FF games do things so much better.

i think FF6 or 9 are a good place to start. then playing FF7 afterwards. mainly because the learning curve for the battles is relatively simple. the story picks up fast very early (FF8 and 10 take time to get interesting). and personally i find them to be the best in the series because of their characters and respective stories.

FF12 should be avoided. i actully think its a semi-excellent game, but its not a good FF to start with. the game requires serious level grinding all the time. the story and the characters are not as well developed as they shouldve been for various production related issues and the game is inconsistant. Edit: i would recommend not looking at youtube tbh, it might spoil some things.

Boutros said:
Level1Death said:

Agreed.

That's why you should go with FFXIII.

Wait, how does his post support purchasing FFXIII?

I swear Boutrous, If I don't enjoy FFXIII, I will demolish your face!

You should tell us what you like and what you expect from the games.

You enjoy story-heavy games? You dislike linear games? Etc, etc.

Then people can advice you better.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.