By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm new to Final Fantasy, where do I start?

d21lewis said:
Early in this thread, I said Lost Odyssey. Somebody thought I was kidding. Like a lot of people, I got into Final Fantasy with FF7 and I thought it was an amazing game. I played the games since (except the MMO's) then and went back to play FF6. The scope, combat, and story of FF6-FF10 made Final Fantasy the premier RPG franchise for me. But FFX was back in 2001. Since then, the Final Fantasy series really hasn't done it for me.

That means that, for a decade, Final Fantasy hasn't been able to recapture the thrill of the older games. I've played quite a few RPG series since 1997 (Shadow Hearts, Magna Carta, Grandia, Xenosaga/Xenogears, Enchanted Arms, etc.) trying to recapture the feeling of the Final Fantasy franchise since Final Fantasy hasn't been doing what it used to do. Lost Odyssey captures that feeling, PERFECTLY. It's the best "Final Fantasy" released in a decade.

I would say FFX but I don't know how well that game has aged. I still have fond memories of it but I haven't played it in years. Lost Odyssey is a few years old but when I played it, every other game took a back seat for about a month. FF13 had the same effect but, while I played FF13 waiting for it to "get to the good part", I played Lost Odysssey with a smile. If you can get it, get it. It's not a perfect JRPG but it's the best I've played.

There is a good reason for that. its been about 10 years since FF10 came out and The Spirirts Within flopped, thus 10 years since the creator of the series Hinorobu Sakaguchi has not directed or producer, or had anything to do with an FF game. which explains why everything has gone so downhill.

Around the Network

you can play FF VI, VII, VIII and IX in the ps3 by buying them on the psn all of them are great. Final Fantasy X is my favorite but you should wait for the remake.

d21lewis said:
Early in this thread, I said Lost Odyssey. Somebody thought I was kidding. Like a lot of people, I got into Final Fantasy with FF7 and I thought it was an amazing game. I played the games since (except the MMO's) then and went back to play FF6. The scope, combat, and story of FF6-FF10 made Final Fantasy the premier RPG franchise for me. But FFX was back in 2001. Since then, the Final Fantasy series really hasn't done it for me.

That means that, for a decade, Final Fantasy hasn't been able to recapture the thrill of the older games. I've played quite a few RPG series since 1997 (Shadow Hearts, Magna Carta, Grandia, Xenosaga/Xenogears, Enchanted Arms, etc.) trying to recapture the feeling of the Final Fantasy franchise since Final Fantasy hasn't been doing what it used to do. Lost Odyssey captures that feeling, PERFECTLY. It's the best "Final Fantasy" released in a decade.

I would say FFX but I don't know how well that game has aged. I still have fond memories of it but I haven't played it in years. Lost Odyssey is a few years old but when I played it, every other game took a back seat for about a month. FF13 had the same effect but, while I played FF13 waiting for it to "get to the good part", I played Lost Odysssey with a smile. If you can get it, get it. It's not a perfect JRPG but it's the best I've played.

Your just not looking theres plenty of Final Fantasy games to keep you busy and maybe recapture the thrill.

Final Fantasy XII is good.Final Fantasy XIII was decent even though they changed up the style alot.

Why don't you just wait for Final Fantasy XIII Versus.

Play FF games in this order and you will not get dissapointed ( this list is for VI-XIII)

XIII-XII-X-VIII-VII-IX-VI

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

x_DMX_x said:
d21lewis said:

Your just not looking theres plenty of Final Fantasy games to keep you busy and maybe recapture the thrill.

Final Fantasy XII is good.Final Fantasy XIII was decent even though they changed up the style alot.

Why don't you just wait for Final Fantasy XIII Versus.

Oh, I've been playing them!  And I've downloaded FFVII to replay on the PSP (still awesome!) and I plan to get FFXIII-2, too (as well as versus if it ever sees the light of day).  It just hasn't been the genre defining series that it once was.  I'm hoping for a return to form, though.

Around the Network

Without nostalgia to back them up, FF will just seem bad (because it is a pretty bad game by today's standards), FFIV will seem far too linear, and FFVII's graphics will make your eyes bleed with pain.

Luckily, FFVI is still beautiful in every way. FFVIII still looks decent but the story isn't anything worth remembering. FFIX is great too.

I would say do FFVI and then FFIX. The rest don't really matter.