By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Warner paid 500$ to be BR exclusive !!!

This is a rumor, that is all. I suspect, however, if the BDA payed any amount of money to get Warner it was to counter a HDDVD offer that simply would not have been refused.

Around the Network
Sorrow880 said:
This has already been debunked by Warner, and comes from an HD-DVD website, but eitherway, who gives a
 ****?
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Warner:_No_Payoff_for_Move_to_Blu-ray/1327

How is it any different than Paramount accepting a bribe? A bribe is a bribe & $$$ amounts matter little when comparing Paramount to Warner.  The biggest difference is Paramount chose to be anti-consumer.

I'm just glad Warner made a decision between formats. I finally feel it's safe to go 100% blu-ray and to buy another player for downstairs. The important thing is that the consumers can buy with confidence now instead of having worry and confusion about buying a format that might fail like Laser Disc or Betamax.

I applaud Warner and hope to see Toshiba throw in the towel. Warner did what was sensible, they teamed up with the side that was winning nearly 65:35. If they would have done any differently, they truly would have been making a stalemate of the format war. At this point, Toshiba is being disrespectful to the consumer and they're better off ending their loss sooner rather than later.

Sorry but this statement is silly.  Toshiba is trying to make money, thats what companies do.  If you don't like it, don't buy but stop acting like its a personal insult to you that they are marketing a competing product.

mr-money has got a point there, although I like the HD discs (the quality is superb), it probably won't be long until renting and buying movies is done by downloading them, and concidering the time it seems to take for the HD formats to go mainstream their reason for existing can be argued.

kimbo said:
This is a rumor dude...

Although Warner is with Blu-ray, I still don't think they paid 500 million for it.

Agreed. The HD format wars have been going BluRay's way for quite a while, so Warner's support was implicit imo.

I dont think this is such a huge amount o money ...

BTW : MGM would have stayed with BRD no matter what Warner chooses ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

this is fake.. they denied this yesterday

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Warner:_No_Payoff_for_Move_to_Blu-ray/1327

"Warner: No Payoff for Move to Blu-ray
Fri Jan 04, 2008 at 07:56 PM ET
Tags: Warner (all tags)

Warner Home Entertainment President Kevin Tsujihara says the studio took no pay-offs to exclusively back Blu-ray.

In a post-announcement conference call, Tsujihara flatly denied rumors that studio had accepted anywhere from 250M to $500M in exchange for dropping its HD DVD format support.

According to the exec, Warner's sole motivation in dropping its HD DVD format support was to ensure growth of the "category" and the long-term health of the industry.

"The packaged media business is a $42 billion dollar business worldwide at the retail level, and we [Warner] have the largest market share of anybody," said Tsujihara. "From our perspective, the most important piece of this whole puzzle is, "How do we get growth back into this category?" That far outweighed anything else."

This [decision] was one hundred percent around what makes the most sense for the consumer, the retailer and the industry. This was not a bidding war. This was all about what was best, strategically, for us."

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Kytiara said:
Sorrow880 said:
This has already been debunked by Warner, and comes from an HD-DVD website, but eitherway, who gives a
 ****?

How is it any different than Paramount accepting a bribe? A bribe is a bribe & $$$ amounts matter little when comparing Paramount to Warner.  The biggest difference is Paramount chose to be anti-consumer.

I'm just glad Warner made a decision between formats. I finally feel it's safe to go 100% blu-ray and to buy another player for downstairs. The important thing is that the consumers can buy with confidence now instead of having worry and confusion about buying a format that might fail like Laser Disc or Betamax.

I applaud Warner and hope to see Toshiba throw in the towel. Warner did what was sensible, they teamed up with the side that was winning nearly 65:35. If they would have done any differently, they truly would have been making a stalemate of the format war. At this point, Toshiba is being disrespectful to the consumer and they're better off ending their loss sooner rather than later.

Sorry but this statement is silly.  Toshiba is trying to make money, thats what companies do.  If you don't like it, don't buy but stop acting like its a personal insult to you that they are marketing a competing product.

Lol....actually your statement is funny.  I could care less which format wins as long as one is decided soon.  I want to buy HD movies and these corporate battles are bullshit.  I applaud Warner for trying to end the format war for the consumer.  If blu-ray wins, I'll buy blu-ray, if HD-DVD wins, I'll buy HD-DVD--I just want a winner SOON.  By going with the product that was currently in the lead, Warner did the sensible thing. 

I can tell by your complete lack of understanding that you are too young to understand what happened with Betamax....so I'll not hold your naive statements against you--you probably were still wearing diapers.  In my case, I first hand remember what happened with Betamax (luckily we went with VHS), but my next door neighbor lost a lot of money because of that format war.  2 Betamax players and 47 videos later, it WAS ALL WORTHLESS. 

(And just so you realize, I'm far from a fanboy...lol, I actually have an HD-DVD add-on for my 360 (got it for Christmas) and I support all three consoles.)

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Yes in my opinion this is fake.
Warner said that they would support the winning format.
They said they would support the peoples choice and probably wanted
to see what unfolds during the holiday season to make their decision
(to see if HD-DVD could pull a win with its cheaper players).
clearly blu-ray won, why would they chose HD-DVD?

i would think this is just some HD-dvd diehard fan's dribble.
trying to comfort their format-of-choice lost by saying BDA cheated.
that they would have won if BDA didnt pay a cool $500 mil.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Warner offically said they were not paid so I take this rumor with a massive grain of salt.