By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 Has “Tight memory, Poor IO Performance” – John Carmack

goforgold said:
pezus said:
What excuse did he have for the PC version? Surely not tight memory...

no no no that shit doesn't count here.....just typical behavior from the 360 community, carry on

So now, a Wii owner who has never touched a 360, belongs to it's community? The ad-hominem attacks are the last resort of the fanboys.

The problem lies in the transcoding, something that's probable you don't even know what it means. That's why on nVidia cards with cuda (ID developed a fast transcoding engine in this proprietary language) the texture popup is less pronounced than in ATI cards, or why if you have a i7 you have almost no texture popup. Carmack has already said that the PC version is the lesser in importance for them, that's why, having limited time to develop and test the game, they preferred to improve the consoles versions (the ones which would sell much more) than the pc version, and with the last patch the texture popup will improve a lot on any pc. The main problem in the PC version is the consolization, where you don't have tons of options to adapt the game performance to your needs, as they wanted to maintain the "holy" 60 fps.

Around the Network
x_DMX_x said:
Yup im totally going to believe this guy.This coming from the guy who claimed that "the PS3 verison of the game was easy to develop because of blu-ray platform it will be one of the dominant versions"Now he does this.Not only that but Microsoft pays developers to have muliplat games look better on 360.So this is the biggest bullshit ive heard since Wii HD.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAAHhahhahahahaha

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Double post ._.

goforgold said:
pezus said:

no no no that shit doesn't count here.....just typical behavior from the 360 community, carry on

LOL.

No.

You claim 3 discs is an issue. It hasnt been an issue for me over the last 15 years on any platform.

Im here to defend Rage. Because as far as  the version I played on my 360. And from almost all media Ive readd concerning the 360 version it is very good and impressive considering te aging hardware in this generation.

Enlighten me as to what issues my copy of Rage has on my 360? 

What is achieved is astonising.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Rainbird said:

Please enlighten me as to how the game is a failure on all platforms. The PC release was messed up, that's true, but the 360 and PS3 versions are fine.

Metascore

User Score

Generally unfavorablebased on 545 Ratings 

for a game with production levels like this game have its a failure in my book

1) We're talking technology here, right? Not quality of gameplay.

2) That's the PC version (still nothing for all platforms).

3) If you're considering it a failure because of its gameplay then that's fair enough, but it's also off topic...

Around the Network

'tis funny when people use metacritic scores when it suits them best but call bullshit when it doesn't suit their point of view.

Myrmi said:
Yawn....

is that why PC version is a mess right? whats the excuse for PC then? limited ram too?

I say this is just a bunch of excuses considering you have games out there that looks just as good and runs much MUCH better on their respective platfrom compared to ps3/360/PC version of rage.

He didn't excuse the PC version, he told people why the PS3 version performs the way it does.

And I'd like to see what open world game you have that runs at 60 FPS with as much detail as RAGE on consoles. Hint: It doesn't exist (yet).

pezus said:

This. The main issues were not about the console version, but rather the PC version which has been getting the most heat from gamers. Everyone knew the PC version blows the console versions away no matter what. Carmack has already stated that consoles held him back from making the game what it could've been exclusive to PC. He a lot of like other PC devs earlier on in the gen had the same problems with the PS3 not truly understanding how the PS3's architecture works. Everyone knows games that aren't made specifically for the PS3's architecture will not come out as good as it should on a multiplatform level. This is why exclusives couldn't be more imperitive for Sony, because they need to show the world exactly how powerful their console is compared to the Xbox 360 which is majorly praised for most powerful games being ported from PC. Sony cannot say the same. The exclusives show off the consoles power and that is that. Carmack should've known that from the very beginning after large criticisms from PC devs surfaced. People will continue to enjoy Rage whether its on the PS3 or 360. The game had fun gameplay and the AI was awesome, but the storyline to me was weak and the only thing I see it winning this year is best PC game. I doubt that though being that the Witcher 2 came out.

goforgold said:
pezus said:

You know what typical behavior there is in this thread? PS3 fans being butthurt that some developer raises legitimate critizisms about their platform. What he said is 100% correct, and those exact points are extremely important to RAGE, because of its technology.

It's not id that don't know their stuff, it's the PS3 that can't keep up.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

He a lot of like other PC devs earlier on in the gen had the same problems with the PS3 not truly understanding how the PS3's architecture works. 

The problem is not the Cell though. RAGE uses new technology that puts the RAM, harddrive and disc to heavier use than most games, and that's an area where the PS3 is weaker than the 360. And that exactly what Carmack is talking about here, there isn't enough RAM and you can't read fast enough from harddrive and disc on the PS3.