By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So after the NPD, is the 3DS doomed again?

NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

Isn't that a little misleading when the console needed a 70 dollar price cut so early to even compete

?

There's no competition right now for 3DS. Vita is not released, and PSP still sells below DS (which has the succesor out there).

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

Ground on the competition.

For fans to brag whos the winner and whos the loser. For corporations to get a bigger market share.

But for us, especially since Sony is making the worst decision imaginable (not releasing in NA/Europe this holiday), the install base will look pretty big after the holidays compared to the Vita. 

Its just economics. You commit handheld games to the guy with the bigger install base. 

Would be great, if that held true.

Cool story bro. Compare total DS games to total PSP games. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:
RolStoppable said:

Would be great, if that held true.

Cool story bro. Compare total DS games to total PSP games. 

Your argument only works for shovelware or titles that have no prestige. The whole seventh generation (handhelds and home consoles) has made it pretty clear that higher market share doesn't have to lead to more commitment by third party publishers, so only considering economics is quite naive in light of recent events.

Shovelware and no prestige games.......ok so? Was the issue more developer support in the first place?

But that aside and talking strictly quality games.....then go to metacritic and compare games 70-79, games 80-89, and games 90+ on DS and PSP. I dare you 

DS

(90+) = 7

(80-89) = 107

(70-79) = 261

PSP

90+ = 2

80-89 = 89

70-79 = 182

Fresh from metacritic for all to see. I got sources, your just spinning.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

atma998 said:

And it pisses me off to see there are still people in total denial, thinking PS2 is #1. DS is actually 5 million over PS2 LTD and we are talking about unit sold to consumers not retailers. Even if the PS2 is undertracked, I don't think it is that much. Also DS is still selling quite good and will have another good holiday, thus raising the gap even more.

Oh and it tooks 6 years to achieve what the PS2 did in 11 years. Now you can argue about portable console vs. home console but please stop denying about the numbers.

The only one in denial is you.  Just because VGC doesn't care about numbers that aren't on the front page doesn't mean the PS2 numbers are accurate.  There aren't ~9 million PS2s on store shelves while the DS has less than 700k on shelves.  Last quarter, the PS2 shipped 1.4 million and the DS shipped 1.44 million.  Yet VGC sales were 545,324 for the PS2 and 1,636,180 for the DS.

You obviously don't have much faith in the DS actually beating the PS2 if you have to rely on such incredibly inaccurate numbers.  This is the same site that before adjustments had only 225k DS systems on shelves at the end of last quarter, and 74k more Wiis sold to consumers than had been shipped to retailers.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

Shovelware and no prestige games.......ok so? Was the issue more developer support in the first place?

But that aside and talking strictly quality games.....then go to metacritic and compare games 70-79, games 80-89, and games 90+ on DS and PSP. I dare you 

Im using real world numbers here, your just spinning. 

Your logic is this: Higher market share leads to more commitment.

But how do you explain the PSP rebounding in Japan after it had already been clearly outpaced by the DS? With an attach rate of below 2.0 and an installed base that was millions of units behind the DS, third party publishers should have let the PSP die. That didn't happen. Instead they turned around and fully backed the PSP while abandoning the DS.

Courtesy of Metacritic for all to see. 

DS

(90+) = 7

(80-89) = 107

(70-79) = 261

PSP

90+ = 2

80-89 = 89

70-79 = 182

- DS has more total games.

- DS has more quality titles......a lot more. 

- DS still outsells PSP worldwide even with 3DS migration. Just stop, I have real sources backing me up. 

Tagging

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

RolStoppable said:
sales2099 said:

Im using real world numbers here, your just spinning. 

Your logic is this: Higher market share leads to more commitment.

But how do you explain the PSP rebounding in Japan after it had already been clearly outpaced by the DS? With an attach rate of below 2.0 and an installed base that was millions of units behind the DS, third party publishers should have let the PSP die. That didn't happen. Instead they turned around and fully backed the PSP while abandoning the DS.

"Your logic is this: Higher market share leads to more commitment."

Need I remind you that this used to be your logic as well?

jesus, don't campare Ds to PSP.... Ds is so much bigger

PSP utterly failed in selling software overall, stong 1st weeks in Japanese-only games don't help the overall fail, although it actually did very good in hardware overall....

the thing is, if Mario can give the push price drop hasn't given to the 3DS, although it's doing fine now, without all the megatons been released just yet

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

NYANKS said:
Pavolink said:
NYANKS said:

?

Right not competition.  But Nintendo was obviously not pleased with the sales for such a massive price cut.  It was putting up poor numbers.  His picture makes it seem like 3DS has done better than it has, it couldn't even come close to "best selling" if it wasn't for the cut.

By your post, then the Vita is pretty much fucked in the west since it's $249.99 + tax + memory card+ 40 - 50 dollar games + tax.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909