By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Could Canada arrest Goerge Bush?

Well Canada is known around the world as the peaceful country that always follows the international law by the books. Well Canada also has a history of co-operating with Amnesty International often following their advice. Well for those of you who are aware former US President Goerge W Bush is visiting Canada soon. He will be coming to my Province of British Columbia for awhile.

The interesting part of his visit is Amnesty International wants Canada to arrest him when he crosses the border. Due to the fact that President Bush committed acts that are illegal in Canada. Amnesty International also wants Canada to try him for war crimes of torture etc...etc... which they claim he committed during his presidency!

"It is incumbent upon Canadian officials to investigate, arrest and prosecute former president Bush for torture when he arrives in Canada a week tomorrow," said Alex Neve, Amnesty Canada's secretary general. A popular argument used by the current Conservative Government is that we cannot arrest the former President of our greatest ally and business partner. However Alex says "None of those arguments justify inaction under international law,"Amnesty International supports its allegations saying that the torture and war crimes  "All of this was authorized and condoned and put in place through his own repeated decisions."

Amnesty International has called on the Canadian Government to act immediately and arrest Bush. Saying that the whole world would stand behind Canada. "This is something the entire global movement stands behind," Justice Minister Rob Nicholson hasn't officially commented and the Canadian Parliament is mixed on the idea. The Conservative Government that rules the country is against the idea for many reasons however members of the opposition parties have suggested similar action in the past.

So no the Government is not likely to arrest Bush. But if they wanted too could they actually do so? Under Canadian law Bush committed crimes against humanity and is definitely worthy of arrest according to our countries laws. But what would the US's response be to an arrest? Would Obama freak out if the Canadian Government arrested Bush? Also Amnesty International says that the whole world would support the arrest of Bush but would they really? Bush is hated in Canada and viewed as one if not the worst President to have ever ruled the US according to recent polls done in Canada.

So could Canada actually pull off an arrest of Bush? Would arresting Bush be a smart decision?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

That sounds nuts lol

Technically yes, and if they did the USA would be remiss if they used force or even negotiation to get him out of arrest, but that's the way of International Law. It's really just a tool to use against those you don't like, and so does not apply to countries who are either strong or in the loop.

International Law is only really useful for nonaligned third-world countries to settle disputes with other non-aligned third world countries (like once when Cameroon had a dispute regarding a border oil field with Nigeria and the UN settled it)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I would personally support the arrest of him for torture. eventhough i think Bush is probably a decent person and nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. waterboarding is torture. even by definition in the US. the US executed people for waterboarding their troops. now, i wouldnt support the execution or even something like life imprisonment but there should be accountability for the actions.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I'm not sure if I should be worred about said arrest being a political decision. I guess I should.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Maybe goerge Bush, But not George Bush. I like to call him The Bush. Isn't there a diplomatic immunity thing that would keep him safe? I do not think they would even dare to! Doesn't matter what they said he did. But if they did somehow he would be immediately brought back to the U.S.

Diplomatic immunity can be suspended at the will of the diplomats' native land, so your country may cover you against parking tickets or smoking in a non-smoking zone, but not for smuggling heroin, but either way, it does not apply to International Law

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

MrBubbles said:
I would personally support the arrest of him for torture. eventhough i think Bush is probably a decent person and nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe. waterboarding is torture. even by definition in the US. the US executed people for waterboarding their troops. now, i wouldnt support the execution or even something like life imprisonment but there should be accountability for the actions.

I don't see the problem with torture...

If you know the person is guilty and they are holding back vital information that could save lives or bring someone to justice, then they should be able to do whatever they can to get that information off them.

brendude13 said:
MrBubbles said:

I don't see the problem with torture...

If you know the person is guilty and they are holding back vital information that could save lives or bring someone to justice, then they should be able to do whatever they can to get that information off them.

i dont see anything wrong with stealing cars.  so im going to go steal this car here and shouldnt be prosecuted because i just said stealing cars arent wrong.   just forget that i previously shot someone trying to steal my own car.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Wow your obsession with America keeps getting more absurd. I am not a fan of George Jr at all, but to have this actually happen is a work of fantasy.

Not likely. George Bush is an American. Should he decide to resist arrest, he would probably single-handedly defeat the entirety of Canada. (Only to choke to death on his celebratory pretzel.)