By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War director says Galaxy has ‘vapid story’

Bodhesatva said:
Legend11 said:
zackblue said:
@legend

Why did you change your post?

I didn't want to get into an argument. Cory Barlog did make a valid point and it's sad that many people are choosing to attack him rather than admitting that he's actually right.

He's correct that this is his opinion. I've stated repeatedly that I do not like story in games, and what he sees as a negative I see as a positive, and the inspid and heavy handed story in games like Gears of War and God of War is precisely why I dislike them so strongly. 

It's just an opinion, Legend. It would be like docking God of War for being an exclusively single player game. There are lots of people who almost never play single player games anymore (such as me) and many others who believe that single player games are an aberration and will die off, such as Raph Koster (and also me, again). 

But the preference for multiplayer is clearly just an opinion -- other people specficially avoid multiplayer experiences and focus entirely on single player. I'm quite sure people would bitch to high heaven if some major magazine began heavily docking games for not being near-exclusively or exclusively multiplayer; games like God of War, Final Fantasy, Super Mario, Bioshock, Mass Effect and other wouldn't be capable of more than an "pretty good" 8.0 or something along those lines. Why would it be okay to do that for story-driven games? Because I'm obviously not alone in disliking story in my games.  

On top of that I would just like to add that even people who enjoy good storytelling in game would disagree on what is a good story and what methods are best for creating a good story ...

An example of this is the move 300, an Amazingly stylish movie with the depth of a tea-spoon; to some people the style of the movie more than makes up for the lack of depth, while others see it as a wasted opportunity to do something meaningful.

Then there are people like me who HATE voice acting in games ... It is typically done poorly, and is amazingly repetative which discourages people from exploring the depth of the world they're put in (if you click on several townsfolk and they all say the same line you will stop clicking on townsfolk.)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Actually mario has changed professions a lot, he's been a doctor

And while there has been more Mario's there have been fewer main story mario's in the last few years then there have been God Of war games, and GOW has the same story, Kratos gets angry and tries to kill greek myth characters like Ares and Zeus..again, its so boring, i'm just telling them how a little work on the story could pay off so much

Yeah, except with the doctor, there was even less story. Actually, bio-chemist would work since he's throwing pills at the little germs, lol.

So now it's only the past few years that should be looked at, not Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 (Although in the third one, you first have to save kings, and then you learn about Princess Peach being kidnapped).

Kratos doesn't get ticked off for no apparent reason: In the first one, Kratos blames Ares for slaughtering his village and wife and kid. In the second one, Zeus kills Kratos while he is a mortal and sends him to Hades. Maybe the revenge aspect is getting too jaded for you, but I, like Barlog, think that Princess being kidnapped once again by Bowser has been done since 1985!

And for everyone else, this is his opnion and you guys shouldn't nitpick over what caught your retinas. Even the folks at Screwattack and Gametrailers sung the same tune regarding the story of Mario games, but they, along with Barlog, don't complain absolutely nothing in regards to the gameplay because, all in all, that's what really matters.

I really don't have any issues AGAINST his opinion, but more in terms of his reasoning.

With something like this, I next expect him to start criticizing Wii sports for having such simplistic graphics.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Grey Acumen said:
I really don't have any issues AGAINST his opinion, but more in terms of his reasoning.

With something like this, I next expect him to start criticizing Wii sports for having such simplistic graphics.

Or lack of story? We want to know why your Mii wants to become a Pro at Bowling, and the backstory to him being a right handed bowler.

"Kratos doesn't get ticked off for no apparent reason: In the first one, Kratos blames Ares for slaughtering his village and wife and kid. In the second one, Zeus kills Kratos while he is a mortal and sends him to Hades. Maybe the revenge aspect is getting too jaded for you, but I, like Barlog, think that Princess being kidnapped once again by Bowser has been done since 1985"

If I may point you to the Grecian mythological tales of Hercules and Orpheus, you will see exactly the same or similar things happen to them as happen to Kratos. Seriously, it's like he's playing Mad Libs with a Mythology textbook. You'll find that revenge tales are actually much more ancient than the modern fairy tales Super Mario is based on (Alice in Wonderland, The Little Prince.) In fact the first story ever written (Gilgamesh) was full of doubt and abuse by the gods and a revenge driven hero. Perhaps the ones jaded with sturm, angst, and revenge are the more older, wiser and well read.

Around the Network

why defend galaxy? yes, of course it's about gameplay, not story. but some people do want more storyline when they play a game, and he happens to be one of those people.

besides, if galaxy does has a good storyline to it, it'll have an average score of like 99 instead of the 97 currently.

lots of people can enjoy galaxy 100% without a story. but there are some who say only enjoys it 90%. that's still really good--we're not all clones, after all.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Pro tip: If you care more about SMG's story than its gameplay, you should be reading books, not playing games. Edit: Sorry, Crazymann, a negative snuck into my statement. Didn't make much sense, did it? :)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Rocketdustf40 said:
i think he wants Mario to fight God instead of bowser.

Bahaha thats so true. Mario probably isnt "epic" enough for him.

On another tangent. I think people need to learn to differentiate between 'story' and 'story telling'.

Mario has very little story telling. Few cutscenes, boring dialouge and 2-dimensional characters. But Mario games are full of story. Every new imaginative idea is a story in itself. Every star has its own story and challenge that is unique and entertaining. How many times have you had to run around on fruit in space? Mario is full strange and new ideas.

I just think its injust to describe SMG story as vapid. I mean you could call it strange or illogical or silly, but NOT vapid. Mario's world is the opposite of vapid, it's colourful, imaginative and full of life. Mario game's popularity are centered on their consistancy in providing imaginative experiences that have depth of meaning.

You can defend peoples right to have an oppinion, but not their right to misuse words. I can guarantee he didnt think overly about what he was saying.

I find self deprciation is the best way for humorless people to be socialble.

famousringo said:
Pro tip: If you don't care more about SMG's story than its gameplay, you should be reading books, not playing games.

Eh?  By my thoughts, the opposite would be true.  Could you elaborate?

Also, smellygoat, well said!  The difference between story and storytelling must be properly deliniated. 

Maybe it's because I'm more familiar with Mario having little story but I kinda feel like a Mario platformer with large amount of storytelling will no longer be Mario.

To be honest though, although I prefer some amounts of story for games and the like, I feel like it's being overemphasize. I absolutely hate, while playing game, for those cutscenes to constantly pop up... (KH2 story bored me, and I had no interest in DQVIII's). They could get better though if the cutscenes were shorter, and the rest of the stories tells in different way or hidden and blends with the game well.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154