By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War director says Galaxy has ‘vapid story’

Flow said:
I think the guy is right.

Could you play MGS, sneaking through the soviet union, just to save a princess?

Could you play Assassin's Creed, jumping through rooftops and killing templars, just to save a princess?

Could you play Halo, doing whatever you do in it just to save a damn princess and do it again in every sequel of it? Well, at least you got the multiplayer.

Good story don't make a game, but make a game even better.

Halo's singleplayer was laughably bad, MGS has turned into a slightly interactive movie with cutscene after cutscene

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Famine said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Umm...I did read the article

He says:   think it is because I just don’t care about the why. I mean, the freaking princess is abducted…again. I have to go after her captor, Bowser, again. You think with a franchise this big they would at least put a little effort in the why. I mean, think of how much it would pay off right?

Hence why I called him an idiot, the series has never been about story, its always had essentially the same story, Peach getting kidnapped, Mario saving her, its always been about the gameplay

Maybe that is just me though, since almost every other designer I talk to thinks this game is the second coming. Still in the end, they are all kind of right. It is an extremely well put together game with a hell of a lot of creativity in it. I have to give props to the team for that!

It's an opinion, and technically, it's a valid opinion because it too is stating the obvious: The story almost gets recycled.

So if I were to say that God of War has a terrible story, its just Kratos getting angry annd figthing greek gods, and how he should do something different like become a pro golfer you'd agree with me? :-|

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

He's right the story is vapid. But then again, who cares? It's a video game, they almost always have vapid stories, that's why they make such lousy movies.

Probably the main thing that mario games lack, a good story. He's right about the why part. Why does Bowser kidnap Peach? Who's Bowser Jr.'s mom? What's mario's backgroud story? I could go on.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Gamerace said:
He's right the story is vapid. But then again, who cares? It's a video game, they almost always have vapid stories, that's why they make such lousy movies.

No one ever plays Mario for story, any more than they play Scrabble or Monopoly or Poker for story. It's a GAME, pure and simple. It's joy is in the PLAYING, not the story.

Around the Network
misterd said:
Gamerace said:

No one ever plays Mario for story, and more than they play Scrabble or Monopoly or Poker for story. It's a GAME, pure and simple. It's joy is in the PLAYING, not the story.

QFT, I actually didn't like the Rosalina stuff they put in either >_>

Thar's only rum fer one Princess round these parts...

Famine said:
shio said:

Ofcourse I know, that's why I said that he shouldn't criticize others when his games are the not the prime example of a great story.

WHAT!?

A mortal who becomes a god, who then becomes a mortal because he has angered Zeus and revives the titans to wage war on the gods of Olympus isn't great story telling?

You think GoW has a great story? It's decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to stories like Grim Fandango's or Deus Ex's.

Xeo_842 said:
Probably the main thing that mario games lack, a good story. He's right about the why part. Why does Bowser kidnap Peach? Who's Bowser Jr.'s mom? What's mario's backgroud story? I could go on.

My answers:

To get married to her because of her piles of gold coins

Bowser reproduces asexually (like the American godzilla)

A plumber who fell into a pipe one day 

Famine said:
shio said:

Ofcourse I know, that's why I said that he shouldn't criticize others when his games are the not the prime example of a great story.

WHAT!?

A mortal who becomes a god, who then becomes a mortal because he has angered Zeus and revives the titans to wage war on the gods of Olympus isn't great story telling?

No, that's a plot outline, not a story. Good story telling is in the details of how it's told. For example, there have been four tellings of the story "I Am Legend." The novella is considered a classic that the films, despite having the same rough plot, have never matched. While GoW may have told the tale well, I'm pretty sure that any number of developers could take that same story and make it suck.

Avinash_Tyagi said:

So if I were to say that God of War has a terrible story, its just Kratos getting angry annd figthing greek gods, and how he should do something different like become a pro golfer you'd agree with me? :-|

Dude, why are you picking at straws?

How many God of War games are out there, and how many Mario games have Bowser kidnapping Princess Peach? Not only that, the God of War games also contain other Greek mythology as well: Sisters of Fate, Theseus, Perseus, Icarus, etc,. Many Greek figures tie into the game.

And if you hate the storyline in God of War, hey man, can't complain with you, that's your opinion, but Barlog hasn't mentioned anything outrageous as your suggestion of Kratos becoming a golfer. Nowhere in that article did he mention Mario should change his profession from a plumber to a bio-chemist.

With Mario, it's the story we have come to known: Bowser kidnaps Peach and Mario has to save her... again.