By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - God of War director says Galaxy has ‘vapid story’

zackblue said:
@shio

Do you know who he is lol

Ofcourse I know, that's why I said that he shouldn't criticize others when his games are the not the prime example of a great story.

Around the Network
zackblue said:
@shio

Do you know who he is lol

None of the games he's worked on have had good storys. (GoW and GoW2 included)

Of course plenty of people critsize games storylines without actually making games with storylines, so it is a bit unfair to hold his profession against him.

I for example think the last few final fantasy games have been severly lacking.

Personally I think all the times Mario has fought something not bower it hasn't worked.

I mean he wasn't fighting bowser in Mario Sunshine to my knowledge... how'd that work out?

Super Mario RPG was fun, but the villains in that were rather mediocre.

As fun as Super Paper Mario is, the villains in that game don't really interest me either. It's pretty much me playing it for NES style 2-D platforming with extras thrown in.

You really can't throw in a new villain because of how much bowser has been used. 

shio said:

Ofcourse I know, that's why I said that he shouldn't criticize others when his games are the not the prime example of a great story.

WHAT!?

A mortal who becomes a god, who then becomes a mortal because he has angered Zeus and revives the titans to wage war on the gods of Olympus isn't great story telling?

I guess a better question would be: "What do you really expect from a Mario game?" I don't know about you, but I expect a heck of a lot excellent of platforming, and not much else. Any story is sort of an extra...

Now, I can see his point, but I think he's really missing the big picture. Mario games are not *supposed* to have a lot of story, it's all about the gameplay. Think of Mario 3 or Super Mario World with a huge story tacked on... and you get Paper Mario. Now, Paper Mario is a great series, but it's not the platforming game that the regular Mario games are. Suggesting that Mario platformers need a huge story is sort of missing the whole point of the game. :p If I want story and platforming, I'll play Super Paper Mario some more.

swyggi said:
@Everyone that criticized the Director of God of War

Did you guys even read the entire thing? He praised SMG at the very end for it's creativity regardless of what he personally thought about it. lol

But you forget that when anything Nintendo related gets criticised in any way Nintendo fans see red and feel compelled to criticise anything and everything related to the critic. Its basically a self-defence mechanism.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 
Around the Network
swyggi said:
@Everyone that criticized the Director of God of War

Did you guys even read the entire thing? He praised SMG at the very end for it's creativity regardless of what he personally thought about it. lol

Pretty much all stealth trolling comes of it, as you will see in a lot of the posts in the this thread.

This isn't "phailure" it's just a different opinion about games.

I personally hate story in games, and dislike God of War specifically because of its aesthetic and story driven design. Where he says "come on, give me a story!" I say "please, please, stop trying to push this ridiculous drivel at me." 

I strongly disagree with his opinion, but it is still an opinion, and should be regarded as such.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Famine said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

He's an idiot, apparantly who complains that Mario has a vapid story, well duh, story has never been the centerpiece of mario, gameplay is, something which God of war is seriously lacking

He's an idiot because he doesn't like the story?

Nintendo fans, exert your anger when it's necessary as Avinash didn't read the whole article.

Umm...I did read the article

He says:   think it is because I just don’t care about the why. I mean, the freaking princess is abducted…again. I have to go after her captor, Bowser, again. You think with a franchise this big they would at least put a little effort in the why. I mean, think of how much it would pay off right?

Hence why I called him an idiot, the series has never been about story, its always had essentially the same story, Peach getting kidnapped, Mario saving her, its always been about the gameplay

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I think the guy is right.

Could you play MGS, sneaking through the soviet union, just to save a princess?

Could you play Assassin's Creed, jumping through rooftops and killing templars, just to save a princess?

Could you play Halo, doing whatever you do in it just to save a damn princess and do it again in every sequel of it? Well, at least you got the multiplayer.

Good story don't make a game, but make a game even better.

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Umm...I did read the article

He says:   think it is because I just don’t care about the why. I mean, the freaking princess is abducted…again. I have to go after her captor, Bowser, again. You think with a franchise this big they would at least put a little effort in the why. I mean, think of how much it would pay off right?

Hence why I called him an idiot, the series has never been about story, its always had essentially the same story, Peach getting kidnapped, Mario saving her, its always been about the gameplay

Maybe that is just me though, since almost every other designer I talk to thinks this game is the second coming. Still in the end, they are all kind of right. It is an extremely well put together game with a hell of a lot of creativity in it. I have to give props to the team for that!

It's an opinion, and technically, it's a valid opinion because it too is stating the obvious: The story almost gets recycled.