By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Batman: Arkham City Review thread GOTY?

Tagged games:

Eurogamer.net - 9/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-14-batman-arkham-city-review

Eurogamer.se - 10/10

http://www.eurogamer.se/articles/2011-10-14-batman-arkham-city-recension

Eurogamer.de - 9/10

http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2011-10-14-batman-arkham-city-test

Around the Network

Gametrailers - 9.3/10

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-batman-arkham/722267

Destructoid - 8.5/10 (Fat Jim Sterling)

http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-city-213288.phtml

Okay. I'm REALLY getting tired of Destructoid. I just checked out the IGN review (and I refuse to watch/read another until I finish the game) and I could not be more excited for the game. I'm gonna play through Arkham Asylum again, this weekend and then pick up Arkham City on Tuesday after work.

I grabbed AA for PS3 based solely on the Joker DLC. I'll either grab AC for the PS3 OR buy the 360 version of AA (today) and AC (Tuesday). No exclusive DLC changes the whole landscape, doesn't it?

I fully expect this game to be my game of the year and I hope it wins a lot of GotY awards from the media, too. I mean, it's a good game with Batman AND Catwoman in it! Five years ago, if you told me this would happen, I'd have punched you and called you crazy!!

d21lewis said:
Okay. I'm REALLY getting tired of Destructoid. I just checked out the IGN review (and I refuse to watch/read another until I finish the game) and I could not be more excited for the game. I'm gonna play through Arkham Asylum again, this weekend and then pick up Arkham City on Tuesday after work.

I grabbed AA for PS3 based solely on the Joker DLC. I'll either grab AC for the PS3 OR buy the 360 version of AA (today) and AC (Tuesday). No exclusive DLC changes the whole landscape, doesn't it?

I fully expect this game to be my game of the year and I hope it wins a lot of GotY awards from the media, too. I mean, it's a good game with Batman AND Catwoman in it! Five years ago, if you told me this would happen, I'd have punched you and called you crazy!!

So why are you upset with Destructoid?

looks like it's actually going to grab a few GOTY awards at this rate!

Around the Network

Destructoid keeps giving games a lower score than I want them to receive (Gears, Batman). I want them to blindly give out scores higher than a nine!

I'm not going to read their review until after I bet Arkham City (if I ever read it) and I'm sure they have valid reasons for their scores (though I didn't agree with their cons about Gears 3). I just hate when they piss in my cereal.

d21lewis said:
Destructoid keeps giving games a lower score than I want them to receive (Gears, Batman). I want them to blindly give out scores higher than a nine!

I'm not going to read their review until after I bet Arkham City (if I ever read it) and I'm sure they have valid reasons for their scores (though I didn't agree with their cons about Gears 3). I just hate when they piss in my cereal.

It's not really Destructoid, more Jim Sterling.

Jay520 said:

So why are you upset with Destructoid?

He's still miffed that Jim Sterling gave Sonic Colors a 5/10. But then again, we all are.

IGN RATINGS FOR BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY (PS3)

RatingDescription
out of 10 Click here for ratings guide
9.0 Presentation
I think a few villains deserved more attention than they got here, but the story, the setting and the comic nerd love given to this game are awesome.
8.5 Graphics
Some texture pop-in along with iffy lip syncing, but Arkham City looks great in a totally grimy, filthy way. Got to love Batman's costume breaking down over time.
9.0 Sound
Mark Hamill's Joker and Kevin Conroy's Batman are out of this world. A bit too much of the same voice actor for generic thugs. Music and sound effects rock.
9.5 Gameplay
I felt like Batman -- that's awesome. The majority of stuff will feel familiar, but from gadgets to gliding it’s been tweaked and improved.
9.5 Lasting Appeal
You need to play the game twice. Then, there are the side missions, the Riddler Challenges, the challenge maps and whatever DLC Rocksteady whips up.
OVERALL
Amazing
(out of 10)

These scores are just another crown to Batman AC’s jewel brother. It really shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone since Batman: Arkham Asylum is one of the best games this gen has offer, and Rocksteady is taking Batman to the next level with Arkham City.

• Dynamic Storyline: Written by five-time Emmy-Award winner Paul Dini, Arkham City is guaranteed to give gamers a fun story with fantastic storytelling. Arkham City follows the events of Arkham Asylum where inmates are relocated to Arkham City, a place five times bigger than Arkham Asylum. Players reprise the role of Batman as he battles numerous foes from the Batman Universe including The Joker, Harley Quinn, Two-Face and many more.
  • Become The Dark Knight: Gamers not only assume the role of Gotham’s greatest detective, Batman, but they also become one with Batman as Arkham City seamlessly delivers compelling stealth & combat mechanics and also offers gamers various gadgets that will make controlling Batman feel authentic.
  • Riddle Me This: Find and solve over 400 Riddler challenges in the world of Arkham City. Not only do the riddles test your mind, but they also serve as fanciful character development devices. Audio tapes delve into various villains’ mind and backstory. What will you discover about Gotham’s notorious villains?
  • Meow: Players who buy Arkham City new get the opportunity to play as Catwoman, whom has her own storyline that flawlessly intervenes with Batman’s side of the story. Catwoman has her own fighting style and gadgets which makes her unique from Batman.