By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Batman: Arkham City Review thread GOTY?

Tagged games:

I never understood the concept of GOTY awards. To me it is kind of a pointless accolade since so many games can get it from so many different publications. Yes, certain games tend to grab a lot of them, but there is still the fact that there currently is no video game equivalent of the Oscar's. There is only one "best picture," but there are many GOTY games each year.

Typically when someone mentions a GOTY I assume they are referring to their own personal GOTY since someone could just as easily call another game GOTY ... when so many games receive the same award it looses its value and becomes almost like the participation ribbon they gave you for sports and ect. no matter how good or bad your performance was. I would much rather have a single recognized high profile event like the Oscar's where a single game is seen as the pinnacle of gaming achievment each year, and people can argue and debate over it just like with best picture winners.

Without a single award what is to stop someone from just starting up a game review website and awarding GOTY to whatever arbitrary title they can find? You could even have Sesame Street's Once Upon a Monster as GOTY lol.

Around the Network

Will wait for the GOTY edition with all the mumbo jumbo character skins, dlc's over dlc and for half the price. Well no time to play now anyways.

Combining GOTY; Batman is certain to get a few.. HOWEVER I was expecting a tad more than what might finish at 92-94 metacritic. It is great NO doubt, but with Skyrim and Zelda coming, I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to snatch most of the awards.

As for Uncharted...

I honest to god have no clue how the reviews will be. I'm so hyped that it's crazy but I don't see people throwing out perfect 10s at it just because of what happend in 2009. What sucks is that Batman really deserves to win GOTY (talking in general, basing the majority of sites together) but it will be overshadowed by Zelda and Skyrim.

Well done Rocksteady nonetheless, I will be rooting for you at the awards!

getting better and better. g4tv 5/5

http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/63090/batman-arkham-city/review/

gameinformer a perfect 10 http://www.gameinformer.com/games/batman_arkham_city/b/pc/archive/2011/10/14/the-best-licensed-video-game-ever-made.aspx

DarthVolod said:

I never understood the concept of GOTY awards. To me it is kind of a pointless accolade since so many games can get it from so many different publications. Yes, certain games tend to grab a lot of them, but there is still the fact that there currently is no video game equivalent of the Oscar's. There is only one "best picture," but there are many GOTY games each year.

Typically when someone mentions a GOTY I assume they are referring to their own personal GOTY since someone could just as easily call another game GOTY ... when so many games receive the same award it looses its value and becomes almost like the participation ribbon they gave you for sports and ect. no matter how good or bad your performance was. I would much rather have a single recognized high profile event like the Oscar's where a single game is seen as the pinnacle of gaming achievment each year, and people can argue and debate over it just like with best picture winners.

Without a single award what is to stop someone from just starting up a game review website and awarding GOTY to whatever arbitrary title they can find? You could even have Sesame Street's Once Upon a Monster as GOTY lol.

Take it for what it is. If you waited for GOTY edition because you were playing other games, busy with "real" life or just weren't sure about the game. The GOTY edition is the usually the compete edition and comes at most of the time at greatest hits price. Sounds good to me. 

As for awards. Well there is ummm spike tv awards. But the oscar level calibre and spike just doesn't mix. :P

Around the Network

Some reviews and average calculated based upon it =

Game Informer - 10

OPM Australia - 10

GameMaster UK - 9.7

Play Generation - 9.5

Play3 - 9.2

Giant Bomb - 5/5 Stars

G4TV - 5/5 Stars

GamePro - 5/5 Stars

Guardian - 5/5 Stars

Digital Spy - 5/5 Stars

Telegraph - 5/5 Stars

Gameblog.fr - 5/5 Stars

1UP - A

Gamesradar - 10

Eurogamer Sweden - 10

Game Arena - 10

VideoGamer - 10

IGN - 9.5

Machinima - 9.5

CVG - 9.5

Gamepro Germany - 9.5

Now Gamer - 9.4

Gametrailers - 9.3

Edge - 9

Gamespot - 9

Metro - 9

Eurogamer - 9

Game Reactor Denmark - 9

Game Reactor Sweden - 9

Wired - 9

OXM UK - 9

Destructoid - 8.5

=
9.24.. ~ 9.2

Aldro said:
Combining GOTY; Batman is certain to get a few.. HOWEVER I was expecting a tad more than what might finish at 92-94 metacritic. It is great NO doubt, but with Skyrim and Zelda coming, I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to snatch most of the awards.

As for Uncharted...

I honest to god have no clue how the reviews will be. I'm so hyped that it's crazy but I don't see people throwing out perfect 10s at it just because of what happend in 2009. What sucks is that Batman really deserves to win GOTY (talking in general, basing the majority of sites together) but it will be overshadowed by Zelda and Skyrim.

like u are hoping batman gets low scores

ZaneWane said:
Aldro said:

As for Uncharted...

like u are hoping batman gets low score

Low scores? How is 90 a low score lmao.

Im just making a realistic predictment on 92-94. We saw Forza 3 drop down from 93 to 91 when I almost thought it had settled at 93! With Batman being higher and with it only having about ~15 10/10's, the game is likely to drop once more the 9/10 reviews are added.

I don't want Zelda and Skyrim to score higher, but I do sadly think thats going to happen and that sucks!

Looking pretty good on metacritic. PS3 is at 97% and 360 at 95% (has had 20+ reviews compared to ps3's 8 reviews).
Looking at it i think any review scores below 90% will end up being political and not to be trusted based on the amount of praise it is getting.

I'd imagine the game will settle down at around 94% or so. Which will be a hard score for other games to beat.

I don't think it deserves a 95 Metascore. It deserves a 93, no more, no less. Here's why.

Now, in all seriousness, this game looks EPIC, Batman now dominates the Movie and Games universe.