By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The OG NHL thread: The Cup worth biting for

Who will win?

Chicago Blackhawks 12 80.00%

Tampa Bay Lightning 3 20.00%

Total:15
asumal said:
Vancouver is going to win this year. Going to dominate the regular season, and carry it all the way to the final! Go nucks!

The Sedins have no heart, and Luongo becomes a sieve when the pressure is on. They won't win. 

My top 3 picks to win it are (objectively, no favortism):

- Bruins repeat as champs. Very possible if Timmy Thomas continues to be a brick wall

- LA Kings. Only lost to the Sharks because Kopitar got injured at the end of the season. They have him back plus they improved greatly in the off-season getting Mike Richards. And Bernier/Quick is a solid goalie combo.

- Lightning. Stamkos/Lecavalier/St. Louis 'nuff said. Goaltending is their only weakness. 

Around the Network

I'm so happy for the Peg. Watching the intro before the game on HNIC brought a tear of happiness.

Colorado shuts out the Stanley cup Champions. Looks like we have improved were we wanted it on defense and in the net. I always thought the bruins got more than a little lucky winning the championship through so many game sevens.

Edit:  Posts are subjective as objectivity is impossible. :P

trasharmdsister12 said:
chocoloco said:

Colorado shuts out the Stanley cup Champions. Looks like we have improved were we wanted it on defense and in the net. I always thought the bruins got more than a little lucky winning the championship through so many game sevens.

Edit:  Posts are subjective as objectivity is impossible. :P

Truth be told I'm inclined to agree with you on Boston's luck. That's not to take anything away from their championship. They did outplay their opposition in the post season last year, but I felt things just seemed to want to go there way above their excellent play. That and Tim Thomas was on fire. As for the Avs victory... surprised me, but it's a good sign that they've got the fundamentals of a great team and just need to play intense hockey and give it their all.

Yeah, I dont mean to take anything away from a good run through the championship. No one has really talked about the current season yet so I had to try to get it going. I don't know what to expect out of Colorado as they were winning the division or tied with Vancouver for the first half of last season. Then they started losing and their youth showed and it became habitual. What will be a good sign is if they can grow from that experience and start winning like they did early last season. The parity in the league it too strong in my opinion, the last team to win the Championship two times in a row was Detriot. This current period of hockey is the longest drought of repeat champions in the sports history. It is good to give every tam a chance, but when every year the teams making the playoffs change a lot there is too much unpredictability in the game in my opinion. It takes away from the fun. I will forever miss the days before the salary cap, but I am sure most Canadians would disagree because it hurt there teams the most. Those teams were hardly making profit during that time and so were many American teams. So in the end I hate the changes, but they probably saved the league from losing clubs that could not paty their way to the best teams in the league.

asumal said:
Vancouver is going to win this year. Going to dominate the regular season, and carry it all the way to the final! Go nucks!

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I've been hearing this for over two years now.  Last year was their chance and they blew it.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

@ Marks Why do you hate the Blackhawks so much? There's got to be a more repulsive team then them to you.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

trasharmdsister12 said:
Vancouver and Phillie tonight. This will be a good gauge for where the top tier of the Eastern conference compares to the top tier of the Western conference and vice-versa. Phillie looks mighty impressive and have beaten two teams that had very strong ends to last season (one being the champs and the other having the best record for the second half of the season - I'm surprised there isn't more talk of NJ... I think we should keep an eye on them). It should be a good one!

That was a really high scoring game I wished I had seen it. Was too busy watching Colorado pull off a shootout victory versus Columbus. Ity is early in the season, but Varlimov the Avs new goalie looks stellar. The Avs number 2 pick 18 year old Landeskog got his first career goal. Great for him. Now the Avs jump Vancouver for the early lead of the Northwest division. I am excited. As Robert Loungo of Vancouver proves it takes a top goalie to get far in the playoffs and consistantly beat teams. I am hoping both Vancouver and Colorado do well, but in the end I have to hope the Canucks dont do that well so my team might be first in the division.

vancouver and Colorado both play tomorrow so things could change fast. Oh and TATS12 Vancouver is facing your Detriot Red Wings. It should be a great game.

On another note Bruins are now 1-3. What a surprise I wonder if they will keep faultering or if they will soon be back to their winning ways. 

spurgeonryan said:
I lived in Tennessee for about 5 years so I will be going for the Predators!

They are off to a good start at 2 and 0. That is great I hope they do well especially considering they are the youngest team in the league. 
Any day they play Detriot I will be a fan too.

spurgeonryan said:
chocoloco said:
spurgeonryan said:
I lived in Tennessee for about 5 years so I will be going for the Predators!

They are off to a good start at 2 and 0. That is great I hope they do well especially considering they are the youngest team in the league. 
Any day they play Detriot I will be a fan too.

:) I guess that you do not like Detroit?

Lol, no they are the Avalanches biggest rival. If I didn't have friends on here that were Detriot fans I would be constantly talking trash. Detriot fans hate Colorado too, there was a good ten years were every game they played together there were fights and many team brawls. It all started in 1996 when the Avs Claude Lemuix blindsided Detriot's Chris Draper into the boards It was a very dirty hit and it sparked a great rivalry. The first video if you care to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eCHxytJ1LM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7GA-_KRBo4http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeF5XF8jxkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeF5XF8jxkQ

This is gonna be a very interesting year... there's a lot of good teams out there, and I don't see anyone running away in the standings like Vancouver and Washington did in the past couple of years.

As bad as I wanna see the Rangers win the cup (or at least make it to the finals), this year is gonna be tough for them, especially in their own division... Pittsburgh and Philly are playing really well to start the season, and you can't discount NJ and the Islanders who have young, up and coming teams and who always play them tough no matter what.

I have high hopes for my 'Hawks too in the West, would love to see them take the cup back to the Windy City again. They can certainly do it, as I don't see teams like Vancouver and San Jose being as beastly as they were last season.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.