By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Pirating movies in the 90's was WAY more difficult than it is today with programs like Bit Torrent

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

No shit.

"Life is but a gentle death. Fate is but a sickness that results in extinction and in the midst of all the uncertainty, lies resolve."

I think everyone who has hacked networks in the 90s has had to deal with this security system. I know I have. It's a shame movies these days have lost their authenticity.

I don't get the video.

Distributing copies of films now is easier, but that doesn't mean that recording films off your tv, and editing out ads, wasn't a common occurence.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
I don't get the video.

Distributing copies of films now is easier, but that doesn't mean that recording films off your tv, and editing out ads, wasn't a common occurence.

It's a clip from the 1997 documentary, Masterminds, with steps on how to download movie files over the Internet:

1. Load up your hacking avatar
2. Initialize your Phone Router System
3. Now monitor your green map closely to which cities you are traveling through on the Internet
4. Go to different cities, like Helsinki Finland by typing in the Command line >HLSNK.00135 (this is the IP address of Finland)
5. Keep typing in more IP addresses of all sorts of other countries in order to keep traveling quickly. These are typically codes involving a 3 digit numerical value dot the city name without vowels (it is so Internet traveling can be done more quickly, typing vowels wastes time).
6. Confirm established connection on your map
7. Cloak your International Routing System to avoid detection from the CIA.
8. Enter Virtual Dimensions Inc, type in the word "YES" when asked, do you wish to enter. No GUI is available in the 90's...
9. When asked for a password, insert the Code Breaker into your Microchip drive.
10. Initialize Encryption Breaker
11. View the status (such as HDEIDEBIOS.78347983478943.233233, and REALMODEMEMMAP.439534894.2232), these may seem like random irrelevant computer processes.randomnumber.random number - but these are actually complex processes required for hacking.
12. Get to the Database where NO UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS is allowed, when asked if you want to enter, type in "YES".
13. When you are presented with the message "HACKERS WILL BE AGGRESSIVELY PROSECUTED, do you wish to enter," again, type in "YES"
14. You will then have two minutes to find your way through the maze, use your 1983 joystick to navigate, since the standard mouse is not used in true hacking. 
15. BE CAREFUL - during these two minutes, the CIA will be informing you that they are "HUNTING YOU" and that "HACKERS WILL BE FEDERALLY PROSECUTED", and "WE ARE TRACKING YOU" as you make your way through this Doom like maze.
16. Avoid all demons and skeletons, this is the MOST important thing when downloading movies illegally in the 90's.
17. Keep an eye on your world map!! This I cannot stress enough!
18. Make it to the final door, and then you will be granted access to the files you desire, and the CIA will concede defeat for beating their maze in under 2 minutes, and they will allow you to download the binary file over the next 8 hours.
19. Make sure to set up motion detectors around your computer!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I lol'd at ''Fear is Our Business''.

Kamal said:
No shit.

^

Dr.Grass said:
Kamal said:
No shit.

^

^^

PullusPardus said:
Dr.Grass said: