By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

Carl2291 said:
What a stupid time to adjust.

NPD and shipment data just around the corner, so VGChartz updates with no real idea where anything was/is over/undertracked.

Wasn't the reason that PS2 sales were never adjusted, because VGC didn't know where to put them? How can they magically just know now where to put/take away sales?

Now we have more accurate numbers than before, even if they may still be wrong. It's not like by updating now, we can't update again in a few days. It's better to have fairly accurate numbers now & adjust later than have fairly innacurate numbers now & still adjust later. I'm pretty sure the numbers will probably be adjusted accurately in the future, but in the meantime, it seems smart to make the data at least a little more accurate using what we've learned.

Around the Network
Kai Master said:

360 would have lead in all countries except Japan is only MS didn't charge for XBox Live, the very one point that leads gamers to choose PS3 over 360 (BRD is not such a strong factor, moreover piracy is harder on PS3 as I heard).
MS did a critical mistake on charging for XBox Live, even if the service is more secure...

Quite the contrary, actually. Charging for Xbox Live has been an absolutely huge home run for Microsoft. Xbox Live is a revenue and profit juggernaut for MS, bringing in about a billion dollars of revenue per year, with a gigantic profit margin. You can bet your behind that Sony and Nintendo wish they had the revenue stream that Microsoft gets every year from Xbox Live. 

Jay520 said:
Carl2291 said:

NPD and shipment data just around the corner, so VGChartz updates with no real idea where anything was/is over/undertracked.

Wasn't the reason that PS2 sales were never adjusted, because VGC didn't know where to put them? How can they magically just know now where to put/take away sales?

Now we have more accurate numbers than before, even if they may still be wrong. It's not like by updating now, we can't update again in a few days. It's better to have fairly accurate numbers now & adjust later than have fairly innacurate numbers now & still adjust later. I'm pretty sure the numbers will probably be adjusted accurately in the future, but in the meantime, it seems smart to make the data at least a little more accurate using what we've learned.

Precisely, I really don't get the whole adjusting now means we maybe wrong later.  The numbers are always "technically" incorrect and then refined in accuracy as we get new figures. 

Its 3 weeks till all the shipment data is in Carl and another week or so after that for the full adjustments to start occurring, thats 4 weeks.  4/52 = 1/12 of the year that we're asking for adjustments to be put on hold.  I applaud ioi for trying to keep the adjustments happening whilever new data arrives.

pezus said:
slowmo said:
Jay520 said:
Carl2291 said:

Precisely, I really don't get the whole adjusting now means we maybe wrong later.  The numbers are always "technically" incorrect and then refined in accuracy as we get new figures. 

Its 3 weeks till all the shipment data is in Carl and another week or so after that for the full adjustments to start occurring, thats 4 weeks.  4/52 = 1/12 of the year that we're asking for adjustments to be put on hold.  I applaud ioi for trying to keep the adjustments happening whilever new data arrives.

One week to wait for MS

Imagine what you could do in 7 days though (create a world perhaps?), thats a long time!

pezus said:
slowmo said:
pezus said:
slowmo said:
Jay520 said:
Carl2291 said:

One week to wait for MS

Imagine what you could do in 7 days though (create a world perhaps?), thats a long time!

Meh, why don't they adjust PS2 numbers then? I don't think they know where 360 was undertracked exactly (until tomorrow and next week).

The PS2 numbers are like ioi's last piece of decorating he needs to do in one of your homes rooms.  It's that small job you put off and off for a rainy day to finish up sometime, don't take away his backup work.  Alternatively I have no idea why not, ask ioi again or look through old threads on the subject for a response.  The one thing I do know is last gens numbers aren't important right now and there is a lot of data coming in that is more relvant to numbers that people are more interested in at the present time so perhaps it's just not a priority.  The site doesn't just wait for shipments then arbitrarily matches the figures to match them, they look through all the data to see where the figures have gone wrong and thus improve the modelling for the future.  While the adjustments that happened now look in response to Microsoft's statement we don't know if they've been in the pipeline for a week or two already.

Around the Network
NotStan said:
toadslayer72 said:
NotStan said:
toadslayer72 said:
NotStan said:
@Seece any chance of those good old posts where you go back in the thread and revive the dumbest comments and post them in one post? I think for this thread it'll be hilarious.

Also good job making one of the most volatile threads on VGC - with the title like that.. Oosh. Even I thought you were friggin' nuts when you made it.

Uh, I like those just as much as you but I think you need to relax a little. I'm sure if Seece is going to due such a thing, he will wait until it's undisputable, unless of course you want to be on the wrong end of those types of quotes.

True enough, but when MS themselves stated that, kind of hard to dispute. Was it 100% worldwide and not just US?

It seems like it's 100% worldwide but some people are saying no so we'll have to wait and see for sure.

Off topic: I can't believe I used "due" for "do"

I didn't even notice that, well seems like even Troll Whisperer has jumped the gun on this, seeing as he had already managed to create a thread announcing it. I think it might be true, I don't think Sony claimed such a feat in their CES.

They said 'world sales leaders'. You can hear it yourself here: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/ces/liveevent.aspx

(skip tp 1:54:40)

But I don't know what they base it on and whether they are 100% sure themselves, as they didn't annouce this in a big way like the no.1 in the US, 66 million sold, ect. Ballmer just kind of said it while talking in a matter-of-fact way much after these announcements. Anyway, you can check the video yourself. ;)

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Bail said:

I'm guessing Xbox fans won't be satisfied as long as 360 is behind the PS3 and until more adjusments are made...

i dont get it

ZaneWane said:
Bail said:

I'm guessing Xbox fans won't be satisfied as long as 360 is behind the PS3 and until more adjusments are made...

i dont get it

I guess Bail cant accept the fact that the MS CEO himself said that 360 lead the World sales for 2011.

Yay!!!

Next days are going to be fun, with the npd numbers and maybe more adjustments. Maybe secce could be right after all.

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:

I'm not sure the adjustments have anything to do with the recent MS announcements.

There hasn't been any adjustment to the Kinect numbers and that would actually warrant the biggest change (2.6m apparently in supply?).

So perhaps this is just normal VGC tweaking and more adjustments will follow after the reporting season is over.

I think Kinect was adjusted up ~500k just now. Could someone check?

Cant tell, nothing seems to be updated anywhere.  Either way, 500k wont cut it. 

I thought I saw it at ~14.9m last week, or maybe it was the week before so there have been no adjustments.

Nah, ended the year at 15.45