By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 Vs. Playstation 3 2012 - *February* Update

DarkDesent666 said:
worldlyfall said:
Yet it will always be in 3rd place. Since the ps3 could not close the gap this year there is no way it will next year.  So much for year of the ps3.

Year of the ps3 refers to quality of games not amount of sales, I can see how you can miss that though given the 360s recent games. Not to mention the fact ps3 has sold more lol.

worldlyfall said:
The only way in my eyes you can truley say it was the year of the playstation if it took the lead from the 360. Since it did not do that when EVERYONE said it would (still rememeber how those obnoxious fanboy attacked everyone anyone who said it wouldnt) it was not the year of the playstation.

Still a great year for the console though.

So yes to the biased. Also I should point out that if you align the launches ps3 would have more sold, or another way of saying it is ps3 has sold faster then 360.

We dont do alternate realities where they launched at the same time. But lets say your right that PS3 sold faster then 360 at the same timeframe....id call that equally embarassing. Given PS2 vs Xbox, PS3 selling at a slightly faster rate isnt impressive at all. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Statistical tie!

I dont think anybody expected 360 to evaporate PS3s hard work catching up, while at the same time keeping relevant despite PS3s 2011 exclusives!

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Lord Ciansworth said:
People are really over-simplifying this issue down to who spent most on marketing etc. Products sell for a wide range of reasons, some are to do with marketing, yes, but a producer's relationship with distributors is also key. This determines how much shelf space is given to a certain console and its games, what the positioning of this shelf space is in the store, how much that item is pushed by promotional deals in store, and so on so forth. Microsoft clearly has done well in this regard this Holiday, in addition to some good U.S.-centric advertising.

At the end of the day, selling a product because of marketing, distributor relationships, or simply good content does not legitimise of illegitimise success in the market place. There is no such thing. There are only sales and lack of sales.

Claiming Microsoft only have gained success this Holiday because of their marketing prowess is applying the same kind of logic as the fools who said Wii was only successful because it was "a fad". There real question is why was the Wii "a fad" four years and why is the Xbox 360 "a fad" this Christmas? Through the hard-work and ingenuity of the people working in those companies to sell entertainment. Your normative assertions about what the legitimate means for achieving commercial success in the video games industry are nuts. There are only sales and a lack of sales. Nothing more.

Actually I'm claiming it's only because of their marketing budget not marketing prowess they spend aleast double what the other 2 do.

sales2099 said:
Statistical tie!

I dont think anybody expected 360 to evaporate PS3s hard work catching up, while at the same time keeping relevant despite PS3s 2011 exclusives!

Lol, I bet if the 360 outsold the PS3 by ~300K you wouldn't be going around talking about statistical ties.

thismeintiel said:
sales2099 said:
Statistical tie!

Lol, I bet if the 360 outsold the PS3 by ~300K you wouldn't be going around talking about statistical ties.

lol yup. But then again PS3 was supposed to slaughter 360 this year sales wise. 

Around the Network
pezus said:
Jazz2K said:
worldlyfall said:

Well i wasnt on this site a year ago so i dont know if anyone here did back then , but lots of people from gametrailers, gamespot, and ign did.
Rememeber reading a comment on gametrailers that got 200 thumbs up listing all the ps3 exclsuives that were suppose to be AAA. Many comments how killzone 3 was going to kill Halo Reach. And also lots about the gap closing permentaly, plus i rememeber when the gap was below 3 million lots of people said it was only a matter of time. If i only i could rememeber the thread i would show you.

Can we just leave it now i dont want to get banned.

These forums are no different, trust me. I don't post much but I've been here for 4 years and things you read from fanboys is comedy gold. Now I can't stop laughing at this belief that MS has a budget of 1B for advertizing... or that the ads alone on the Xbox dashboard make enough revenue to operate Xbox Live... the funniest ones are that Sony started all this motion tracking with the PS Eye of the PS2... stop fighting man, it's pointless.

You're saying they did not?

No they didn't. In fact motion tracking started in the 70s if I'm right. I don't have the exact date but still. The origins of motion tracking has nothing to do with video games but military researches if someone can correct me I don't have my papers, anyway fanboys can continue to think Sony invented all this in early 2ks with the Eye Toy while the truth is that it all started over 20years ago.

Even MS Kinect's is just a continuity of other researches, depth tracking cameras used to exist in the 80's but at a hefty price, you could sell your house and still it wouldn't be enough to get one.

I'm actually quite amazed that the 360 has sold so well during these holidays. I gotta admit, I was one of the people saying the PS3 would outsell the 360 for the year, but I was wrong.

My guesses are that once holidays die down, the PS3 will continue to outsell the 360 for the most part of 2012. During that time, the PS3 will close the gap with the 360 up until the holidays, which will most likely be the scenario as these holidays. Also, if a new xbox is announced during 2012, I will assume that the 360's sales will slow down a bit, then again MS did say that Kinect would add 5 years to the 360's lifespan...This gen is confusing :/

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

sales2099 said:
Statistical tie!

Not very relevant from a gamer's perspective.  As long as Microsoft primarily caters to the masses and the casuals/non-gamers (shooters and Kinect), it's no surprise that sales have risen as they have during the most hyped shopping time of the year.  From a sales and investor's perspective, the Xbox 360 sales nubers are relevant.  You target the biggest audience, you garnish the biggest sales.  But too bad they did not invest their resources in more 1st/2nd party games such as platformers, action adventures, and survival horror.  If they did and these titles were of considerable quality, the Xbox 360 would become more relevant as a hardcore gaming console.  In fact, the PS3 is more relevant and its sales are more impressive because Sony continues to cater to the gamers by their 2011 exclusives.

so shooters is casual thing right now  because it's sold more on 360 lol
guess next casual thing will be WRPG

Guess what? Its the holidays and 360 shook hands with the Wii...but what after the holidays?...MS needs to ponder over that...

As of week ending Oct 22nd - 7,911,163(PS3) - 6,606,293(360) = 1,304,870

As of week ending Oct 29th - 8,778,992(PS3) - 7,242,745(360) = 1,536,247 or ~192K over the PS3 for the next 8 weeks

As of week ending Nov 5th - 9,129,484(PS3) - 7,520,482(360) = 1,609,022 or ~230K over the PS3 for the next 7 weeks

As of week ending Nov 12th - 9,519,074(PS3) - 8,025,387(360) = 1,493,687 or ~249K over the PS3 for the next 6 weeks

As of week ending Nov 19th - 9,878,175(PS3) - 8,441,031(360) = 1,437,144 or ~287K over the PS3 for the next 5 weeks

As of week ending Nov 26th - 10,685,643(PS3) - 9,688,395(360) = 997,248 or ~249K over the PS3 for the next 4 weeks

As of week ending Dec 3rd - 11,196,131(PS3) - 10,383,951(360) = 812,180 or ~271K over the PS3 for the next 3 weeks

As of week ending Dec 10th - 11,958,663(PS3) - 11,152,898(360) = 805,765 or ~403K over the PS3 for the next 2 weeks

As of week ending Dec 17th - 12,879,641(PS3) - 12,317,609(360) = 562,032 over the PS3 for next week

As of week ending Dec 24th - 13,812,570(PS3) - 13,583,062(360) = 229,508

As of week ending Dec 31st - ? Woah a perfect tie?

then what..IMO the PS3 probably will take  3-4 months  more to get back close to the October lead...