By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you think it is normal having firearms?

tombi123 said:
If you carry a gun around with you for protection, do you also wear a bullet proof vest for protection? If the answer is no I would like to know why.

I find it disturbing that guns, weapons that have no other purpose than to kill/injure people are allowed to be carried around by the average guy on the street. It just seems totally mental. It is my belief that absolutely nobody should be allowed to have a gun.

Because I can't protect soemone across the room from a guy with a gun by wearing a bulletproof vest, because I'm not going to make a guy, who is willing to shoot me, back down by showing him that I'm wearing a bulletproof vest, and because if I DID try to use that to get him to back down, he could just as easily shoot me in the face, which is actually far more likely to be lethal or life debilitating than shooting me in the body.

I find it disturbing that you think that a gun has no other purpose than to kill and injure people.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

I would like to point that cited Interpol data is most probably from the year 2000 (please correct me if i'm wrong). Between 1995 and 2000 murder rate in Croatia went from 9.something to the cited data (5.9 ?). War here ended in 1996 and after that the murder rate was constantly falling. I would be very interested in fresh data for comparsion, but i can't find any.

Edit: I was also able to find Homicide rates amongst youths (10-29 yrs old) - year 1999, Croatia had 1.6 per 100 000, while in 1998 USA had 11.0 per 100 000.

http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/world_report/en/full_en.pdf 

(pages 53-54)

HAHAAHAHAAH The Balkans "ultrasafe"? So I guess the ethnic cleansing must be over with there? At least we don't have United Nations Peace Keepers walking the streets. Talk about comparing apples to oranges ahahahah.

bulletstopper said:
HAHAAHAHAAH The Balkans "ultrasafe"? So I guess the ethnic cleansing must be over with there? At least we don't have United Nations Peace Keepers walking the streets. Talk about comparing apples to oranges ahahahah.

I have stated multiple times that i'm from Croatia. Do your homework. Serbian invasion here ended 1996. from then there are no UN peace keepers here. We have billions of dollars income from tourism, as we have beautiful coast. We are officially negotiating EU membership from a few years ago.

You have probably meant on Bosnia & Herzegovina or Kosovo. Besides, even Bosnia is pretty stable for a few years.

Edit: Stumbled upon a fresh interesting story:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=24035

Wow, this thread is still going, wow.

Around the Network
bulletstopper said:

See? This pretty much demonstrates what I'm talking about in terms of the whole perception issue.

You hear about all this crap in America, and really most of it is a combination of bad media hype, and an issue of 10% of the country contributing 90% of the problems. The same thing that bulletstopper is doing towards what he thought was your country is what you've essentially been doing towards America.

You don't really KNOW what the average american life is like, but because people don't carry guns around as a norm where you're from, you are led to believe that everyone must have some sort of fear prompting us to carry them, so all these rumors and media hype about violent crime must be something that is prevalent all over america.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

You want to state statistics?

Question: It just seems to defy common sense that crimes likely to involve guns would be reduced by allowing more people to carry guns. How do you explain the results?

John R. Lott, Jr. is a resident scholar at American Enterprise Institute. He was previously the John M. Olin Visiting Law and Economics Fellow at the University of Chicago Law School.

Lott: Criminals are deterred by higher penalties. Just as higher arrest and conviction rates deter crime, so does the risk that someone committing a crime will confront someone able to defend him or herself. There is a strong negative relationship between the number of law-abiding citizens with permits and the crime rate—as more people obtain permits there is a greater decline in violent crime rates. For each additional year that a concealed handgun law is in effect the murder rate declines by 3 percent, rape by 2 percent, and robberies by over 2 percent.

Concealed handgun laws reduce violent crime for two reasons. First, they reduce the number of attempted crimes because criminals are uncertain which potential victims can defend themselves. Second, victims who have guns are in a much better position to defend themselves.

Question: What is the basis for these numbers?

Lott: The analysis is based on data for all 3,054 counties in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994.

You can find the whole interview here: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/493636.html

Edit: Damn, I was hoping my 500th post was something a little more... exciting.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Seriously, some people are ridiculous. There isn't a single gun in my household. But I'll defend to the death the right for people to own them.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Here are some more:

"When Florida began allowing its citizens to carry a concealed weapon, Florida's firearm homicide rate fell by 37% when the national average increased by 15%."

"Washington, D.C. has one of the highest crime rates in America even though it completely bans private handguns."

"Switzerland, Israel, Denmark and Finland, all of whom have a higher gun ownership rate than America, all have lower crime rates than America, in fact, their crime rates are among the lowest in the Western World."

"Lott demonstrates that in Britain, Australia and Canada, increased gun control in the late 1990s led to increased crime, the exact opposite of what the proponents of the gun control promised."

"Gun control advocates cite foreign countries to argue that gun control can reduce crime, but such comparison can be difficult due to the presence of other factors. For example, they cite Singapore as having gun control and a lower crime rate than the United States, but Singapore has less than 5 million persons and one of the highest literacy and average wealth in the world. It lacks many of the freedoms found in the United States and strictly imposes harsh physical punishment, such as caning and the death penalty, for crimes that are not punished so harshly in the United States.

Gun control supporters also cite Japan, where firearms are illegal and crime rates are relatively low. But Japan also lacks many freedoms and diversity which exist in the United States, and Japan has strong cultural deterrents to crime. Ironically, Japan is home to Tokyo Marui, the world's largest airsoft gun manufacturer, which designs airsoft guns that are made to the same scale and with the same materials as the real counterpart and which have been mistaken by police for real guns. "

http://www.conservapedia.com/Gun_control#_note-Gallup_LAT

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Michigan sees fewer gun deaths — with more permits

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080106/NEWS06/801060602/1008

I could go for days...