By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Android 4.0 and the Nexus Prime (Updated!! Verizon confirmed; Nov 3rd launch!)

Now that the iPhone 4S is long past us, its time to look at the future. On October 11th this will all be detailed in complete terms, but for now we can focus on the strong rumors and the brand spankin' new teaser trailer.

UPDATE (Oct 6): New news out today with FULL specs... sorry no new video or pics... but details below are now confirmed where not labelled as speculation.

UPDATE (Oct 11): Name confirmed through Samsung tweet and pic confirmed, also added addtional pics. Can't wait for new date of actual reveal!

UPDATE (Oct 12): New release date strongly rumored for the AsiaD: All Things Digital even next week in Hong Kong (October 19th)

UPDATE (Oct 13): Event confrimed. 10.19 @ 10AM Hong Kong time or ~10.18 @ 10PM... Will stream live at STREAM SOURCE

UPDATE (Oct 14): Verizon confirmed as US launch partner and November 3rd as the actual launch day!!! SOURCE

Name: Nexus Prime
 - This OS is the merge of the phone and tablet OS, its also supposed to directly attack/remove the divergence in the mobile OS and help move older phones up the chain quicker.

5MP rear camera (or 8MP)
1.3MP front camera

9mm thin
Notification light
No real buttons - similar to honeycomb tablets.
16 or 32GB storage (or more if you buy a new SD card)

4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass and DPI is almost identical to iPhone's.. (few pixels less)
1GB memory
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz (or 1.5GHz)
Dual core GPU
1,750 mAh battery (or 2000ish)

NFC Chip with Google Wallet
 - This is really exciting. Capability to have all your coupons, grocery store cards, credit/debit cards, receipts, etc in one easy to use safe place. I can't wait for this feature and I am surprised Apple didn't include it knowing it was coming for a year now.
LTE aka real 4G as well as HSPA+ where applicable

Launching on November 3rd!
Verizon Wireless exclusive in US

New Image! Side view is verified from video below... but front image is artist depiction

Here's the teaser trailer which only confirms that it will be curved glass and really thin.

Here's a new video of it in use.

Around the Network

Gotta love google.

superchunk said:

- This is really exciting. Capability to have all your coupons, grocery store cards, credit/debit cards, receipts, etc in one easy to use safe place. I can't wait for this feature and I am surprised Apple didn't include it knowing it was coming for a year now.

This is the only feature that matters to me out of the ones you listed. This is actually cool...

As far as the rest -

High end dual core processor may be needed for android phones but iOS and WP7 are better optimized to do most taks and don't really need to take the battery hit of a 1.5 ghz dual core CPU.

8MP camera sounds nice but is meanigless if they use a cheap lens, limited light sensor and crap autofocus which is what most cellphones use.

As for 4G, most major cities will be lucky to deliver 3 Mbits of data to your phone with full bars. Far cry for 4G which probably won't be the standard speed for another 4 years.

disolitude said:
superchunk said:

This is the only feature that matters to me out of the ones you listed. This is actually cool...

As far as the rest -

High end dual core processor may be needed for android phones but iOS and WP7 are better optimized to do most taks and don't really need to take the battery hit of a 1.5 ghz dual core CPU.

8MP camera sounds nice but is meanigless if they use a cheap lens, limited light sensor and crap autofocus which is what most cellphones use.

As for 4G, most major cities will be lucky to deliver 3 Mbits of data to your phone with full bars. Far cry for 4G which probably won't be the standard speed for another 4 years.

1) agree on NFC chip. I'm really stoked about google wallet.

2) dual core is on newest iphone, ipad2, and will be on next series of WP7's and androids. Additionally, you're smokin' crack on the rest of your comment. Android is just as efficient and optimized as ios or wp7. Only issue android has is the additions some manufacturers make... but that's the benefit to me as it adds a lot of variety as well as a developer myself I can set it to work the way I want. Additionally, there is not as much of a battery hit as say what you get from the larger screen or LTE.

3) true... but i have yet to have a newer camera phone that doesn't work perfectly for my use. I'm not a professional or out to get anything more than random family shots. My fascinates 5MP camera and the BB phone before that have worked perfectly. So I'm sure the 8MP in this will do even better.

4) Verizon has LTE in quite a few cities already and it exists in my city. By end of year it will be in almost every major city in US. So its definitely a plus. My buddy with a 4G phone now is faster than his home connection. (granted home connect could still be upgraded, but meh) Point is, its a added value for when you want to use data. (you can turn it on and off)

superchunk said:
disolitude said:
superchunk said:

As far as the rest -

1) agree on NFC chip. I'm really stoked about google wallet.

2) dual core is on newest iphone, ipad2, and will be on next series of WP7's and androids. Additionally, you're smokin' crack on the rest of your comment. Android is just as efficient and optimized as ios or wp7. Only issue android has is the additions some manufacturers make... but that's the benefit to me as it adds a lot of variety as well as a developer myself I can set it to work the way I want. Additionally, there is not as much of a battery hit as say what you get from the larger screen or LTE.

3) true... but i have yet to have a newer camera phone that doesn't work perfectly for my use. I'm not a professional or out to get anything more than random family shots. My fascinates 5MP camera and the BB phone before that have worked perfectly. So I'm sure the 8MP in this will do even better.

4) Verizon has LTE in quite a few cities already and it exists in my city. By end of year it will be in almost every major city in US. So its definitely a plus. My buddy with a 4G phone now is faster than his home connection. (granted home connect could still be upgraded, but meh) Point is, its a added value for when you want to use data. (you can turn it on and off)

1. glad we agree

2. It obviously depends on the phone and Android version and bloatware included, but there are many reviews showing that dual core on android can be more sluggish than single core iOS and WP7 devices. LG Optimus X2 for example. I know that future is moving towards dual cores and that they are just going to keep pushing. However saying that dual core 1.5 ghz cpu makes one device better than another is not an accurate statement. Especially when devices are completely different OS and work in different ways to accomplish a task.

3. I agree that newer cameras are good at taking pics, but 5MP to 8MP jump really doesn't mean much if they didn't improve the lens... Also this 1080p video recording is just nonsence. I've seen it and it looks like crap compared to even a FLip camera which only does 720p.

4. My city has LTE too apparently. Says so on my carriers coverage map... Just don't bench your phone and see what the connection speed you are getting in the LTE coverage area, and everything will be gravy.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
superchunk said:

so its kinda like Paypal right? 

While I like the idea of google wallet... I don't like the fact that my gmail, youtube, google plus, docs and wallet are 1 and the same account.. we all have seen how easily gmail is hacked..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

PullusPardus said:
disolitude said:
superchunk said:

so its kinda like Paypal right? 

Google wallet is not like paypal. Its makes your phone your wallet. You can walk into a grocery store and scan your phone to pay. It automatically uses your store membership, all coupons, any payment you set as default (maybe even paypal) , and gives you a digital receipt that you can never lose or see fade away. Freaking awesome.

Updated OP with confirmed info.

NiKKoM said:
While I like the idea of google wallet... I don't like the fact that my gmail, youtube, google plus, docs and wallet are 1 and the same account.. we all have seen how easily gmail is hacked..

I've been a little worried about that as well.... however its also very easy to steal your credit card info or cash... so I don't consider it any more of a threat and potentially less so.