By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Android 4.0 and the Nexus Prime (Updated!! Verizon confirmed; Nov 3rd launch!)

green_sky said:

Thanks disolitude. Really appreciate it. It sounds really promising. I end up with way too much change in the wallet when buying something with cash. Sure there is credit and debit cards but this sounds bit more intuitive somehow. I am sure apple will include this in their Iphone 5 or 5S. They really go one big feature per iteration. 

Also paypal suing google. It seems it is really good time for lawyers (well when is it not good time for them). The samsung and apple patent lawsuit are going to be huge though. 

Apple could have included it in 4S and not told anyone. All they need is this tiny NFC chip somewhere. Remember when they hid blutooth in the first itouch or iphone (i forget which one) for a year and only enabled it with a software upgrade...

But yeah, a Paypal version of Google Wallet would be ideal as you can tie anything to paypal. Thus far this only works with MAstercard credit cards.

I agree that its the best time to be a lawyer. Seems like a lot of lawsuits are going after Google. So it must be a good time to be a Google defence team. :)

Around the Network
disolitude said:
green_sky said:

Thanks disolitude. Really appreciate it. It sounds really promising. I end up with way too much change in the wallet when buying something with cash. Sure there is credit and debit cards but this sounds bit more intuitive somehow. I am sure apple will include this in their Iphone 5 or 5S. They really go one big feature per iteration. 

Also paypal suing google. It seems it is really good time for lawyers (well when is it not good time for them). The samsung and apple patent lawsuit are going to be huge though. 

Apple could have included it in 4S and not told anyone. All they need is this tiny NFC chip somewhere. Remember when they hid blutooth in the first itouch or iphone (i forget which one) for a year and only enabled it with a software upgrade...

But yeah, a Paypal version of Google Wallet would be ideal as you can tie anything to paypal. Thus far this only works with MAstercard credit cards.

I agree that its the best time to be a lawyer. Seems like a lot of lawsuits are going after Google. So it must be a good time to be a Google defence team. :)

Not true. You can use a Google Prepaid virtual card linked to Google Checkout. With that you can sync up any card.

superchunk said:

Not true. You can use a Google Prepaid virtual card linked to Google Checkout. With that you can sync up any card.

I see. No wonder paypal is suing them then.

This follows the classic tech world example of doing business.

1. Negotiate with paypal for a year about a joint Google Wallet Service

2. Take 2 key execs from Paypal and end negotiations

3. Relase Google Wallet with the exact same service as Paypal offers

4. Get sued by paypal.

5. Settle and life goes on.

disolitude said:
superchunk said:

I see. No wonder paypal is suing them then.

This follows the classic tech world example of doing business.

1. Negotiate with paypal for a year about a joint Google Wallet Service

2. Take 2 key execs from Paypal and end negotiations

3. Relase Google Wallet with the exact same service as Paypal offers

4. Get sued by paypal.

5. Settle and life goes on.

Its still no where near the same service as paypal.

superchunk said:

What do you mean? It does for Google Wallet exactly what paypal does for everything else.

Currently you have to load it up with money from bank accounts, credit cards...No fees till end of 2011...which is when step 2 will be to tie your bank account/Credit card to Google Virtual card so its no longer prepaid.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
superchunk said:

What do you mean? It does for Google Wallet exactly what paypal does for everything else.

Currently you have to load it up with money from bank accounts, credit cards...No fees till end of 2011...which is when step 2 will be to tie your bank account/Credit card to Google Virtual card so its no longer prepaid.

Well, until I can tie my bank account directly... its pales in comparison to paypal. Additionally, this is only for GoogleWallet/phones. Paypal is for just about anything on the interent. I wish Google Wallet would jus allow payment through paypal and it would be perfect. :)

That's some very sexy looking hardware! 

And I'm definitely excited about Google Wallet, though it will probably be at least a few years before a full solution is rolled out where I live...

I don't get the craze for dual core phones though. Dual core CPUs in phones are complete overkill for a majority of users. So why sacrifice the battery life for it, when running the right software can basically make up for most of the difference? I know the Prime is probably aimed at the minority who are likely to notice the differences, but overall, I don't get why everyone seems to care so much.

Rainbird said:

That's some very sexy looking hardware! 

And I'm definitely excited about Google Wallet, though it will probably be at least a few years before a full solution is rolled out where I live...

I don't get the craze for dual core phones though. Dual core CPUs in phones are complete overkill for a majority of users. So why sacrifice the battery life for it, when running the right software can basically make up for most of the difference? I know the Prime is probably aimed at the minority who are likely to notice the differences, but overall, I don't get why everyone seems to care so much.

Dual core CPUs have a very minimal impact on battery life. The bigger impact is the larger screens and LTE.

Dual core simply makes it faster and the latest OS takes full advantage of that 2nd core.

New release date strongly rumored for the AsiaD: All Things Digital even next week in Hong Kong (October 19th)

updated op with confirmation on unpacking date!