By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gears of War 3 raising standards for third person shooters?

OF course it did saying it didnt is crazy what 3rd person shooter had a great cover system like gears or a better online? Saying it didn't have an influence is crazy. A year is enough to change things in Uncharted for sure, but eh people wont wanna admit that I guess.

Around the Network

nope its changed shooters as a whole. i favor Vanquish over GEARS but both are wht many shooters should be.

GEARS tactical. Vanquish fun and addictive. the FPS genre could use a little Vanquish and GEARS in them with Resistance being the exception.

GEARS is definatly the gold standard and TPS and FPS need some GEARS.

Most of the time those who set standards are the ones that do it better "overall". Even if Gears didn't invent the cover system, it's a great game using it really well with everything else working flawlessly and on top of that the game sells. When game companies want to make money and do better than the one that sets standards they go with the one that sells because that's also what they want. If they plan to implement a cover system they'll try to replicate the one from Gears instead of the one from Kill Switch. Same goes for war games they'll go agains't COD instead of Brothers in Arms.

Horde mode might be called another name in Uncharted but the popular one is the one from Gears so Gears is the one setting the standard.

The same will be said about Uncharted when devs want to do more cinematic scenes they'll go agains't Uncharted because it's the one setting the standard,

I knew about the survival mode in left 4 dead long before the horde mode in gears of war. So horde mode is not actually related to gears of war.
Also call of duty world at war had zombies and that's similar as well. There have been other games so its nothing to do with gears of war.

o_O.Q said:
sepoer said:
What about this? Resident Evil 4 raising standards for 3rd person shooters.
The only new thing on GoW is cover system. But overall? I don't know if another games did cover system first. Graphic? Hmmm... Uncharted had more better graphic than gow.

yes games from years back like killswitch have cover systems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UaM-b3pvJk

Hey, i loved that game.

Really underrated & under-appreciated game.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network

For me, it's the gold standard by which all TPS's must be compared. Game modes, variety, online, enemies, and weapons. It's the king.

I didn't play CoD WaW (Zombie mode) nor did I play Left 4 Dead but Wikipedia shows that L4D didn't get a "Horde Mode" until it got 2009 DLC. Also, Gears released a few days before CoD WaW so, if we're being technical, Gears of War did have the mode, first. Also, the OP asked about third person shooters. L4D and CoD are first person.

I'm just saying .......

EGG_OF_D00m said:

gears is setting the standards for 3rd person multiplayer

uncharted is setting the standards for graphics and singleplayer :)

Gameplay and multiplayer = )

nen-suer said:
o_O.Q said:
sepoer said:
The only new thing on GoW is cover system. But overall? I don't know if another games did cover system first. Graphic? Hmmm... Uncharted had more better graphic than gow.

Hey, i loved that game.

LOL the killswitch cover designer works for Epic now since 2000 something, he helped Gears of war cover system

xS7SxSNIPER said:
nen-suer said:
o_O.Q said:
sepoer said:

Hey, i loved that game.

LOL the killswitch cover designer works for Epic now since 2000 something, he helped Gears of war cover system

I didn't know that!! Thats great.

I always thought of Gears as the perfect realization of KS

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)