Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rate this Gen's Market Leader: Wii

vlad321 said:
Doobie_wop said:
3/10

Negatives
- 480p
- Graphically weak
- An abomination of an online service
- Horrible controller, it actually ruined one of their first party games (Brawl)
- Weak third party line-up
- No media capabilities

- Lack of great new first party IPs and even when a good game is developed it so badly distributed that it's nearly impossible to find.
- Large gaps between any good releases
- Needs a much larger hard drive
- Re-iterating on old IPs without introducing new ones
- Massive focus on one type of market for the majority of it's life-cycle

- Motion controls are implemented into nearly every game for no reason and it's never superior to an actual controller.

Positives
- Fully backwards compatible with Gamecube games.
- Home to some interesting niche games (most of them are pretty bad, but their uniqueness makes them interesting).
- It's sturdy.

You know what's funny when I look at the cons? The ones I italicized are fully applicable to the PS3/360 when compared to the PC.

Well you'd be wrong and I don't see how bringing your PC elitism into this thread is relevant to the topic. Please keep your PC propaganda to yourself and try and stay on topic, which as of right now is about rating the Wii as a console and not about criticising or rating other consoles. 

Thank you and good day.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
vlad321 said:
Doobie_wop said:
3/10

Negatives
- 480p
- Graphically weak
- An abomination of an online service
- Horrible controller, it actually ruined one of their first party games (Brawl)
- Weak third party line-up
- No media capabilities

- Lack of great new first party IPs and even when a good game is developed it so badly distributed that it's nearly impossible to find.
- Large gaps between any good releases
- Needs a much larger hard drive
- Re-iterating on old IPs without introducing new ones
- Massive focus on one type of market for the majority of it's life-cycle

- Motion controls are implemented into nearly every game for no reason and it's never superior to an actual controller.

Positives
- Fully backwards compatible with Gamecube games.
- Home to some interesting niche games (most of them are pretty bad, but their uniqueness makes them interesting).
- It's sturdy.

You know what's funny when I look at the cons? The ones I italicized are fully applicable to the PS3/360 when compared to the PC.

Well you'd be wrong and I don't see how bringing your PC elitism into this thread is relevant to the topic. Please keep your PC propaganda to yourself and try and stay on topic, which as of right now is about rating the Wii as a console and not about criticising or rating other consoles. 

Thank you and good day.

I actually would not be wrong, I also don't see how you bringing your HD elitism into this thread is relevant to the topic. Please keep your HD propaganda to yourself and try and stay on topic.... I think you get the idea here. If you can't handle the heat....

Thank you and good day.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

oni-link said:
vlad321 said:
oni-link said:
vlad321 said:

Graphics wise or control wise or?

both looking at how Wii-motes are b/c with the system!!!

It will be graphically equivalent, if at all, for about 4 months, if it's lucky. Also control wise, it depends on the genre.

c'mon 6 months at least.  Remember it will have a modified POWER7 and R770  cpu and gpu respectively.  In which case is more gonna be current compared to my rig.

I won't lie to you. I am putting money down that the best components you can buy for a PC when the WiiU comes out will already be better than what the WiiU has, then only go up from there. It might be better than the current rigs, but not the ones that are around when it comes out.

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Pavolink said:
ImJustBayuum said:
I ask for peoples opinion seeing how this gen or rather how the market leader is coming to its end. Are we not allowed to give our opinion on the Wii now??

Agree. Is not your fault that people use this thread to spread their Wii hate. But don't worry, the G4 Skyward Sword Thread is their new nest. Be careful.

I really hate to say this, but what world do you live in when people with only positive views on the things you love are allowed to give their opinions. This site went overboard for almost a year not allowing opinions being stated and only now are they finally cleaning up their act and allowing honest discussion.

vlad321 said:

I actually would not be wrong, I also don't see how you bringing your HD elitism into this thread is relevant to the topic. Please keep your HD propaganda to yourself and try and stay on topic.... I think you get the idea here. If you can't handle the heat....

Thank you and good day.

I never once mentioned a HD console in my original post, I never once pushed HD gaming onto another poster or put down another console by directly comparing it to a HD console. Your reply wasn't an intelligent response and in my opinion you are wrong, next time you try and make a point about something, please back it up with a well thought argument that supports your point of view and I may then agree with you. Don't do it in this thread though, because as far as I can tell, it's a thread about rating the Wii.

This isn't about defence, if you'd like to discuss the ratings or comparisons between the HD consoles and the PC, make a new thread about it, I'd enjoy posting in it. If thats not your cup of tea, then please refrain from knocking down my opinion with your opinion in a thread that is just about an individuals opinion on a product.

Au revoir et salut.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
vlad321 said:

Thank you and good day.

I never once mentioned a HD console in my original post, I never once pushed HD gaming onto another poster or put down another console by directly comparing it to a HD console. Your reply wasn't an intelligent response and in my opinion you are wrong, next time you try and make a point about something, please back it up with a well thought argument that supports your point of view and I may then agree with you. Don't do it in this thread though, because as far as I can tell, it's a thread about rating the Wii.

This isn't about defence, if you'd like to discuss the ratings or comparisons between the HD consoles and the PC, make a new thread about it, I'd enjoy posting in it. If thats not your cup of tea, then please refrain from knocking down my opinion with your opinion in a thread that is just about an individuals opinion on a product.

Au revoir et salut.

So how do you come up with "Graphically Weak" if you aren't comparing it to SOMETHING? That SOMETHING being an HD console perhaps, hmmm? And that's just the first of your cons.

Nice try trying to get out of it though.

chocoloco said:
Pavolink said:
ImJustBayuum said:
I ask for peoples opinion seeing how this gen or rather how the market leader is coming to its end. Are we not allowed to give our opinion on the Wii now??

Agree. Is not your fault that people use this thread to spread their Wii hate. But don't worry, the G4 Skyward Sword Thread is their new nest. Be careful.

I really hate to say this, but what world do you live in when people with only positive views on the things you love are allowed to give their opinions. This site went overboard for almost a year not allowing opinions being stated and only now are they finally cleaning up their act and allowing honest discussion.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with opinions. Good or bad, those are just opinions. You can like or dislike, but you never must use your opinion as a fact, or worse, make one from something you don't even have or are interested.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

oniyide said:
oni-link said:
Pavolink said:
oni-link said:

*rankings and score is my opinion and may vary from other ppl's opinion.

tehehe

Expect people to ignore the warning...

lol...at least I tried to protect myself from fanboy mayhem. We will see if it works or not.  I am pretty fair on my scoring even oniyide can't complain about my rankings IMHO. :P

the hell i cant! i think DC is way too high, and PS2 is too low, but those are your rankings your entitled to your opinions

Actually what would be less trollish is if one rates all market leaders and their competitors since the NES days.

Here I'll start:

Gen I=
NES: 9.5
Sega Master System: 7.5

Gen II=
TG-16: 7.8
Genesis: 9.0
SNES: 9.8

Gen III=
Saturn: 7.0
PS1: 9.0
N64: 8.3

Gen IV=
DreamCast: 8.5
Xbox: 8.0
PS2: 8.0
GCN: 8.5

Gen V=
Wii: 8.5
X360: 9.0
PS3: 8.0

*rankings and score is my opinion and may vary from other ppl's opinion.

I knew oniyide my buddy was gonna say something. However, I think those scores were pretty fair for their time.  The dreamcast had a few gems and paved way for generation IV and was ahead of it's time in terms of what they were offering.  PS2 even with some stellar games was the weakest console besides the dreamcast during that generation.  It didn't help them when they promised that the PS2 will deliver 10x better graphics than the dreamcast when in fact it actually wasn't.  I have yet to see Shrek and Toy Story type graphics come out for that system; hence 8.0 is a very good number!!!

vlad321 said:
Doobie_wop said:
vlad321 said:

Thank you and good day.

Au revoir et salut.

So how do you come up with "Graphically Weak" if you aren't comparing it to SOMETHING? That SOMETHING being an HD console perhaps, hmmm? And that's just the first of your cons.

Being a 10 year old piece of technology makes you weaker than modern day standards, it's not about comparing it to the HD consoles, it's about comparing it to the progress of technology over the last decade, be it computers, refrigerators, harddrives, the internet, phones, TV's, MP3 players and so on. 

It's odd how your trying to find fault in my perfectly legitimate post, but you don't see that your post was the one that brought off topic discussion and uneccessary comparisons into the thread. It's really pecualiar and really do hope you stop this silliness and take my advice from the previous post, just make a new thread about it and I'm sure many people (including me) will enjoy debating in it.

Doobie_wop said:
vlad321 said:
Doobie_wop said:
vlad321 said:

Thank you and good day.

Au revoir et salut.

Being a 10 year old piece of technology makes you weaker than modern day standards, it's not about comparing it to the HD consoles, it's about comparing it to the progress of technology over the last decade, be it computers, refrigerators, harddrives, the internet, phones, TV's, MP3 players and so on. 

It's odd how your trying to find fault in my perfectly legitimate post, but you don't see that your post was the one that brought off topic discussion and uneccessary comparisons into the thread. It's really pecualiar and really do hope you stop this silliness and take my advice from the previous post, just make a new thread about it and I'm sure many people (including me) will enjoy debating in it.

You went half a sentence before contradicting yourself. Pray tell, what are "modern standards" set by? Possibly an HD console or another?

It's actually laughable that you think you weren't comparng the Wii to an HD console. You still sound super defensive, btw.

P.S. There is a thread, it's in my sig.