Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rate this Gen's Market Leader: Wii

7.5/10
Pros
-Great first party lineup
-Great for local multiplayer
-Virtual Console
Cons
-Embarassing 3rd party support
-Lack of a proper online service (bad online gaming / lack of demos)
-Some hardware flaws (the wiimote wasn't accurate enough, lack of internal memory, wiimote couldn't be recharged without buying additional 3rd party stuff)

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Areym said:
7/10

+Good first party line-up
+Innovative motion control
+Commercial Success
+Brought in a fairly small market and made it huge, Casual Gamers
+Gave gaming a good reputation for the most part
+Cheap and accessible

-Dated Graphics
-Weak Third party line-up
-Left Hardcore gamers out to dry
-Didn't bring a single memorable new IP (IMO)
-Same old mascots milked to death (IMO)

Overall, it did a great job with expanding gaming to both adults and kids and made video games look
better in the eyes of parents. However, to me, it was dated, the motion control novelty wore off after a while, I got tired of Mario and the same mascots that they always use to push their consoles with and the biggie for me, no memorable new IP. That is what really breaks a console for me, which is why I never bought a Wii or 360.

I still can't the deny that the WIi did more things right than wrong and was a universal success as far as sales. So well played Nintendo and I really hope WiiU will bring something unique to the table. Looking forward to it.

I find it pecular that you are judging a system you have never owned

I agree, I may not be the best person to judge the pros and cons of a Wii, but I have played it countless times. I've kept up with most of the news and big releases, It's not like I boycotted the thing and really a lot of the cons are the reason why I never got it, again, especially cause I am tired of Zelda and Mario and Metroid. I like to think I didn't say anything too ignorant or biased that I couldn't argued reasonably, feel free to point it out if so. Either way, I don't hate it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Mr Khan said:
chocoloco said:
Christian973 said:

Nice troll thread.

What is sad is you cannot take honest opinions.

Reading between the lines makes the OP's intent clear, i should say.

I ask for peoples opinion seeing how this gen or rather how the market leader is coming to its end. Are we not allowed to give our opinion on the Wii now??

ImJustBayuum said:
I ask for peoples opinion seeing how this gen or rather how the market leader is coming to its end. Are we not allowed to give our opinion on the Wii now??

Agree. Is not your fault that people use this thread to spread their Wii hate. But don't worry, the G4 Skyward Sword Thread is their new nest. Be careful.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Actually what would be less trollish is if one rates all market leaders and their competitors since the NES days.

Here I'll start:

Gen I=
NES: 9.5
Sega Master System: 7.5

Gen II=
TG-16: 7.8
Genesis: 9.0
SNES: 9.8

Gen III=
Saturn: 7.0
PS1: 9.0
N64: 8.3

Gen IV=
DreamCast: 8.5
Xbox: 8.0
PS2: 8.0
GCN: 8.5

Gen V=
Wii: 8.5
X360: 9.0
PS3: 8.0

*rankings and score is my opinion and may vary from other ppl's opinion.

Nintendo console average: 8.9  (5consoles)

Sega console average:  8.0 (4consoles)

Sony console average: 8.3 (3 consoles)

Microsoft console average: 8.5(2 consoles)

Around the Network

I'd go with 7/10

It's got some of my favorites games this generation (Brawl, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 3, Donkey Kong Country Returns) and many other great games. The Virtual Console make it the best retro gaming platform ever. Unfortunately, the releases of great games were very far apart. The online options are pretty bad on their own, they're downright awful compared to what the PS3 and Xbox 360 have to offer.

Signature goes here!

oni-link said:

*rankings and score is my opinion and may vary from other ppl's opinion.

tehehe

Expect people to ignore the warning...

Areym said:
oniyide said:
Areym said:
7/10

+Good first party line-up
+Innovative motion control
+Commercial Success
+Brought in a fairly small market and made it huge, Casual Gamers
+Gave gaming a good reputation for the most part
+Cheap and accessible

-Dated Graphics
-Weak Third party line-up
-Left Hardcore gamers out to dry
-Didn't bring a single memorable new IP (IMO)
-Same old mascots milked to death (IMO)

Overall, it did a great job with expanding gaming to both adults and kids and made video games look
better in the eyes of parents. However, to me, it was dated, the motion control novelty wore off after a while, I got tired of Mario and the same mascots that they always use to push their consoles with and the biggie for me, no memorable new IP. That is what really breaks a console for me, which is why I never bought a Wii or 360.

I still can't the deny that the WIi did more things right than wrong and was a universal success as far as sales. So well played Nintendo and I really hope WiiU will bring something unique to the table. Looking forward to it.

I find it pecular that you are judging a system you have never owned

I agree, I may not be the best person to judge the pros and cons of a Wii, but I have played it countless times. I've kept up with most of the news and big releases, It's not like I boycotted the thing and really a lot of the cons are the reason why I never got it, again, especially cause I am tired of Zelda and Mario and Metroid. I like to think I didn't say anything too ignorant or biased that I couldn't argued reasonably, feel free to point it out if so. Either way, I don't hate it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

fair enough and truth be told if you hadnt said you never owned one, i would have been none the wiser

IMO this thread has not been that bad, ive seen worse. The pros and cons seem to be about the same across the board. I dont recall reading any outlandish post that screamed "trolling"

oniyide said:
IMO this thread has not been that bad, ive seen worse. The pros and cons seem to be about the same across the board. I dont recall reading any outlandish post that screamed "trolling"

-1/10008000

I mean, just look at the console, it has Nintendo games! the kiddiz can play with their toys and Wii! Graphix sucks because I can't have my Horses Petz in HD >:(

Also, it has Nintendo games!