By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - THQ on WiiU: ''much more powerful than the other HD consoles''

Who would have thought that a next gen console would be more powerful than current gen ones...that is complete madness!

Around the Network

It is easier developing games for older consoles than it is to tackle the challenge of developing games for new consoles. It takes time for developers to get used to new hardware technology.

Anyone that has seen the basic specs of the WiiU knows that it runs circles around the 360 and PS3.

@Gamerace

The WiiU is the first next generation console. So when the Next Xbox and PS4 launch, the WiiU will have the largest userbase. Whether or not MS and Sony can build their next gen userbases fast enough will determine a great deal about how things will play out. There are too many unknowns at this point.

well, It's obvious that a next-gen console like WiiU will be more powerful than current gen, but the point is that we are talking about Nintendo's improvement in graphics

there was a huge jump in graphics from Ds to 3DS, even if Vita is still superior in graphics

there will be a huge jump in graphics from Wii to WiiU as well (unlike GC to Wii), the thing is how big the jump Ps3/Xbox360 to WiiU is going to be, if It's going to be enough for gamers and 3rd parties to put their games on WiiU as well, It's gonna be good for Ninty

3DS is on the way to achieve hardcore's respect, as It's selling good enough at the time, with only 2 games worth getting, which are Star Fox and Zelda, both hardcore and a lot of hardcore games coming soon
3DS graphics are good enough, even if they do not get even close to PsV

hopefully WiiU will follow 3DS instead of Wii when it comes to 3rd parties support, graphics will certainly help

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

I think when the first time WiiU come, it will flood with port of PS360 games, with the same quality or maybe lower graphic quality. Like PS3 at first, we didn't see any games with better graphic on PS3 than X360. If WiiU pick-up, I think developer will starting to make WiiU the definitive version and then port to another console.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
Anyone that has seen the basic specs of the WiiU knows that it runs circles around the 360 and PS3.

And that's the problem. Not many people know the specs and those who do can't tell anybody else. All we have to go with are a bunch of rumours and second hand opinions.

Last_Dream said:
I think when the first time WiiU come, it will flood with port of PS360 games, with the same quality or maybe lower graphic quality. Like PS3 at first, we didn't see any games with better graphic on PS3 than X360. If WiiU pick-up, I think developer will starting to make WiiU the definitive version and then port to another console.

This makes sense. I don't want to be optimistic, but there is a difference to consider in this case. The Cell processor have a very complicate and different architecture (compared to PCs and X360), so it was only natural developers needed some time to get accostumed to it. The WiiU architecture (according to the developers feedbacks) it's made to be as easy as possible to work with.

JEMC said:
Am I the only one who finds strange that THQ is the co. that has praised WiiU the most?

I think this is because in all honesty THQ has seen a lot of success on Wii and DS. It would appear THQ is trying to be the UbiSoft of WiiU becoming Nintendo's big third party. THQ sees the profit in WiiU, also THQ said awhile back that the cost of developing on a true next generation console would be too much. So WiiU is just enough of an improvement without the drastic improvement THQ was afraid of. Don't forget also that WiiU could benefit a lot by being the cheapest platform to develop on again next generation.

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure Sony or Microsoft will increase graphic power drastically either. As THQ said software prices would need to rise and if Microsoft did so their hardware would be through the roof. Kinect alone will add a lot of costs to Nex-Box and if they were to also deliver a power house your looking at one of the most expensive hardware launches in recent history. Sony might increase power since it wouldn't cost them as much they don't have to worry about a WiiU controller or Kinect device. However Sony might choose to create a product with similar power to Nintendo so that they will turn more profit off of the hardware.

In the end I think Nintendo is determining how the next generation will play out. I think Microsoft and Sony are watching carefully and will adjust their products if they see it to their advantage. Obviously developers are not ready for a huge leap forward in graphics and consumers have shown that they are willing to buy a console with inferior graphics if their is quality content!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Nintendo. Now you're playing with power!

Silver-Tiger said:
Obvious, given that it comes out 6-7 years after the current HD consoles.

It's never obvious with Nintendo ;) After all next gen 3DS is barely better than PSP (mostly thanks to 3D stupidity which consumes half processing power)

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB